No announcement yet.

My lucky day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I see the long lines of people waiting outside all over, I realize just how lucky we are.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

In Texas here everuthing is by appointment only, we had our first shot wednesday and on thrusday the VA contacted me to got my shot next week, but i just made room for another vetean, RJ
      Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

Arizona opened up vaccines to 55 and over this past week. Appointments at the county mass vaccine sites filled up within a few hours. Today I got online to my grandson's pediatrician's office, as I heard they were doing them to help the community. It took 5 minutes to snag an appointment for tomorrow for dose one. Yay for an oldie scoring at a pediatritian!!
        Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

🍷🍷MD is a cluster mess. Getting the vaccine is fast. Getting the appointment is another story altogether. The county executive makes the rules for their own county. State says 65+ the jerk that runs this county says no, 75+ then puts a whole bunch of people on a priority list. But, there are state sites you can get an appointment which the county has no say over. Scheduled my spot for 3/14, couldn’t get one for Bruce until on 3/16, at that little place called M&T stadium. Which would have been total 4 trips. Did I mention the spots are opened up after midnight? Thursday night I set up my computer for me and Bruce’s tablet and my tablet for him. 12:30 15 spots opened up. 5 minutes later I had 2:15 for me and 2:30 for Bruce on 3/19. They now realize there is a problem with the system. You think. Upside is we are supposed to get the one shot vaccine. And that was one of the better times of my crummy week. Time for some wine.🍷🍷
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Finally got my first shot of the vaccine here in Mexico today and I was rather pleased it was the Pfizer one and not one of the somewhat obscure Chinese or the Russian ones the Mexican government has also ordered.

Here, over 60's had to first register online to get an official number and then a bulletin was sent out advising all registered folks to attend the vaccination station held at our local trade fair site.

All registered folks were also advised to present themselves at the fairground at a certain day and hour of this week according to an alphabetical order relating to the first letter of their surname. For example folks with the letters A, were told to be present at 07:45 on Monday morning, letter B at 08:45 etc. My father-in-law and sister-in-law with letter E, were grouped with the letter D and told to be present just after midday. Unfortunately the first day was very badly organized and vaccinations didn't actually begin being administered until just after 10:00 and this resulted in long queues of folks waiting for hours in the streets before they were allowed into the grounds of the fair. Both finally had their vaccines at arounds 18:15 and were released to go home 30 mins later.

My letter M was grouped with the letter L and I was advised to present myself at 07:45 this morning (Wednesday). Anticipating long queues again I decided to arrive to the fairground at 10:30 . This worked in my favor as I only had to wait 20 mins to get into the site were everything was much better organized than previous. After sitting in a shaded area for 2 hours the block of around 400 individuals I was sitting with were marched into a large hall were the vaccines were due to be administered. We were told initially that the vaccinations would begin in about 15 mins. They actually began 90 mins later, the delay being due to the need to thaw out the vaccines. Finally I got my shot and headed for home 5 hours after arriving to the site.

I suppose when we are notified of the need to take the second shot in approximately 3 weeks time we will have to go through this process again. Still, it is what it is and I'm certainly appreciative of finally getting my first shot. The one thing I have learned during my many years living in Mexico is that patience is a virtue, and fortunately I have developed it in great store plus its fair to say that I have lived in other far worse places in the world which makes Mexico feel in comparison like Paradise.

All good fun!
            Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
            - Albert Einstein

Comment

Got my second dose this afternoon. We have been cautious, but not fearful through all of this, and the vaccine is another layer of caution.
              Jim
              When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
              Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

I was able to get my first shot (Pfizer) at a little independent pharmacy last Thursday. They space the appointments 15 minutes apart and there is a steady stream of folks getting poked and then waiting around for 15 minutes after. I am so grateful that I was able to get it with no fuss, no waiting in a large crowd. No bad side effects from the first one - just a sore arm for a couple of days. I hear the second one packs more of a wallop.
                Jo Labre - in beautiful Racine, Wisconsin

Mostly, I don't know what I am doing - but I am doing it with GUSTO!

Comment

This is crazy. One day after having spent hours getting appointments for us at the same time and place I get an email from a health group I registered us both with. I was able to apply for and get an appointment 3/16 for me. Went to get one for Bruce he was denied as one wasn’t made available for him yet even though there were over 1100 spots available for 2 days! Next day he gets notice from Hopkins we have a vaccine for you to sign up. He signed up today and his is Sunday. Tried to get one for me. Not available yet for me. We are going 20 miles in opposite directions for the shots. Upside is our appointments will only take a total of 30 minutes max from the time we park until we leave. The stadium I hear is 2 hrs plus. I feel bad for people who can’t or know how to manage the nightmare of getting an appointment. The Mitchell family is already planning a huge party, complete with steamed crabs and the best ribs I ever had, when this is over!
                  Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by Jo Labre View Post
                    I was able to get my first shot (Pfizer) at a little independent pharmacy last Thursday. They space the appointments 15 minutes apart and there is a steady stream of folks getting poked and then waiting around for 15 minutes after. I am so grateful that I was able to get it with no fuss, no waiting in a large crowd. No bad side effects from the first one - just a sore arm for a couple of days. I hear the second one packs more of a wallop.
                    My wife and I had Pfizer. We are now more then 2 weeks plus after our second shot. We had no ill effects from either shot except mild injection site soreness and being tired for a day or two.
                    Scott
                    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
                      This is crazy. One day after having spent hours getting appointments for us at the same time and place I get an email from a health group I registered us both with. I was able to apply for and get an appointment 3/16 for me. Went to get one for Bruce he was denied as one wasn’t made available for him yet even though there were over 1100 spots available for 2 days! Next day he gets notice from Hopkins we have a vaccine for you to sign up. He signed up today and his is Sunday. Tried to get one for me. Not available yet for me. We are going 20 miles in opposite directions for the shots. Upside is our appointments will only take a total of 30 minutes max from the time we park until we leave. The stadium I hear is 2 hrs plus. I feel bad for people who can’t or know how to manage the nightmare of getting an appointment. The Mitchell family is already planning a huge party, complete with steamed crabs and the best ribs I ever had, when this is over!
                      When my wife and I got our shots they were the same day and time just 40 miles apart. The signup system required each person to sign up separately. We figured it as worth the minor inconvenience. .
                      Scott

Comment

We’re keeping them no question. Bruce’s is at Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab. Mine is at a top hospital in MD where the Pat Sajak pavilion is. My SIL call at 7:15 this morning telling Bruce she got an appointment for him at a CVS in 2 weeks. She has been checking every morning for us. He told her he was good. Love my in laws. They are the best. She also mentioned something about shrimp for our party.
                        Betty

Comment

Woke up this morning with a touch of sore shoulder, but when I got to work, I was running at about 60% for most of the morning.
                          Almost back to normal at 1300.
                          Becky finally got appointment for 3/23.
                          Jim

Comment

Vaccination fun...

As I reported earlier, I got my first shot of the Pfizer vaccine earlier this week and as usual I had a bit of fun to relive the boredom of waiting around so long.

Just before getting the vaccine I had to fill in a consent form basically to say I was taking the vaccine at my own risk. The male nurse who attended me in the company of a group of young female nurses looked at my consent form and addressed me as Mr. Arthur to which I corrected him by saying that although I had Mexican nationality I was actually British and I only used one surname on my Mexican documentation, that being Moss and that Arthur was actually my second Christian name.

The male nurse apologized for the error and then asked which was my non-dominant arm to administer the vaccine into. I rolled up the sleeve of my left arm and asked if he could inject into the lighter British part and not the lower Mexican part! Laughs all around as I explained that I was not only bi-national but bi-colored due to several days working under the blazing sun on the roof of my workshop extension.

Here is the evidence....

vaccine.jpg

Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                            - Albert Einstein

Comment

British my rear! Looks Scandinavian. 🤣

LOL! - Jim
                              Last edited by jim_mex; 03-12-2021, 05:40 PM.
                              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jim_mex View Post
                                Vaccination fun...

As I reported earlier, I got my first shot of the Pfizer vaccine earlier this week and as usual I had a bit of fun to relive the boredom of waiting around so long.

Just before getting the vaccine I had to fill in a consent form basically to say I was taking the vaccine at my own risk. The male nurse who attended me in the company of a group of young female nurses looked at my consent form and addressed me as Mr. Arthur to which I corrected him by saying that although I had Mexican nationality I was actually British and I only used one surname on my Mexican documentation, that being Moss and that Arthur was actually my second Christian name.

The male nurse apologized for the error and then asked which was my non-dominant arm to administer the vaccine into. I rolled up the sleeve of my left arm and asked if he could inject into the lighter British part and not the lower Mexican part! Laughs all around as I explained that I was not only bi-national but bi-colored due to several days working under the blazing sun on the roof of my workshop extension.

Here is the evidence....

vaccine.jpg
                                Here it is called a farmer's tan. Arms, hands, face and neck.

When I went for both of mine I asked if I could get a lollipop if I did not cry. The nurses all laughed.
                                Scott

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                                  Reply to Wood identification needed
                                  by Rolf
                                  This site should be on every woodworkers computer. https://www.wood-database.com/ As has been said the first image is Wenge....
                                  Today, 07:38 AM
                                • handibunny
                                  Reply to I decided I needed a challenge
                                  by handibunny
                                  I couldn't resist (too long since any new toys) and ordered a blacklight flashlight from Amazon--same price as Harbor Freight. Should be here Tuesday--can't wait to see all the glue spots I've missed.
                                  Today, 07:01 AM
                                • handibunny
                                  by handibunny
                                  If you google "Moradillo" you'll get more information than you'll ever need. It looks like it will work up beautifully.
                                  Today, 06:59 AM
                                • dgman
                                  by dgman
                                  The first picture is Wenge, pronounced WHEN-ghay or WHEN-Gii. It is a very hard wood. It’s splintery and very hard to cut. When finished, it is almost black. I use it when I need a black wood for Intarsia. I do not know anything about the other wood.
                                  Yesterday, 10:40 PM
                                • vgraf
                                  Wood identification needed
                                  by vgraf
                                  I have a new neighbor who did a lot of woodworking in the past but had to give it up because of allergies. He sold his shop equipment and wood stockpile when he moved here, however he kept a few pieces of fancy wood and showed them to me. The first one (First Photo) he had no idea what it was. It is...
                                  Yesterday, 09:31 PM
                                Working...
                                X