FInished Product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FInished Product

Some folks expressed a desire to see this thing once it was completed. This is the bowl I experimented on, with the little Kobalt miter saw.

The downside is that, I used Hickory for most of the bowl. Hickory is a hard brittle wood but, it also has an open grain, which promptly absorbed all the red sawdust from the Padauk. On the plus side, that embedded sawdust kind of enhances the grain of the Hickory.

And I got to put my new laser engraved logo on it, so I'm happy for that.

Attached Files
    Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

That is fantastic !!

Comment

That is beautiful. What are you going to do with it?
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Great looking! Very impressive work.
        Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

Really nice turning!
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Beautiful inspiring work Tony!

Glad to hear that the Kobalt saw worked out very well.

FYI - I took delivery last week of a SKILSAW 8 1/4" blade portable table saw to assist in cutting pieces for segmented bowl work which I was very pleased to find out of the box was set up perfectly apart from a very small adjustment on the fence scale. I've just ordered a specialty thin kerf 8" diam. 40 tooth Freud blade for it which should give me very smooth precise cuts My existing home built saw has only vertical height adjustment and is not easy to adjust the blade parallel to the miter slots. Despite serving me well for about 15 years it was time to buy a professional more precise machine. With a bit of adjustment to the pulleys to reduce the speed I'll be converting the old table saw into a 12" diam. disc sander.

Now I'm eager to finish my shop extension, embed the new saw in a multitasking work bench I plan to build and try my hand, albeit very simply to begin with, at producing segmented bowls. I purchased the Malcolm Tibbetts' book 'The Art of Segmented Wood Turning' and this combined, with your earlier posts on segmented bowls has really fired me up.

Just see what your segmented bowl post a while back has got me into!

Cheers
            Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
            - Albert Einstein

Comment

Ewwwww.....Ahhhhhh.......So very nice in design and craftsmanship!🤩
              Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
                That is beautiful. What are you going to do with it?
                It will sit on the coffee table for a couple of weeks/months - Until I finish the next one. Then it get relegated to the collection to await the next craft show. Or it may go to the art gallery for a few months.

Jim - Same two words I gave Rolf and Scott -- Wedgie Sled. Jerry Bennett's best thing since sliced bread for cutting wedges.

BTW - guys, Search Youtube for Jerry Bennett. He has some amazing things you can do with that sled.
                Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Beautiful Bowl

Comment

Jim - Same two words I gave Rolf and Scott -- Wedgie Sled.
                    Hi Tony - I built a wedgie sledge pretty much immediately after you first mentioned it. It worked fine within the capabilities of my homebuilt table saw but I quickly realized that to get the best out of it I needed a new saw, hence my recent acquisition.

The videos are also on Jerry Bennet's jointly run website along with one on the incredible amazing musical themed sculptures which Jerry makes out of segment rings which really blew my mind. Well worth the visit to see just how far you can push segmented turning work.

Cheers
                    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                    - Albert Einstein

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                      Reply to Wood identification needed
                      by Rolf
                      This site should be on every woodworkers computer. https://www.wood-database.com/ As has been said the first image is Wenge....
                      Today, 07:38 AM
                    • handibunny
                      Reply to I decided I needed a challenge
                      by handibunny
                      I couldn't resist (too long since any new toys) and ordered a blacklight flashlight from Amazon--same price as Harbor Freight. Should be here Tuesday--can't wait to see all the glue spots I've missed.
                      Today, 07:01 AM
                    • handibunny
                      by handibunny
                      If you google "Moradillo" you'll get more information than you'll ever need. It looks like it will work up beautifully.
                      Today, 06:59 AM
                    • dgman
                      by dgman
                      The first picture is Wenge, pronounced WHEN-ghay or WHEN-Gii. It is a very hard wood. It’s splintery and very hard to cut. When finished, it is almost black. I use it when I need a black wood for Intarsia. I do not know anything about the other wood.
                      Yesterday, 10:40 PM
                    • vgraf
                      Wood identification needed
                      by vgraf
                      I have a new neighbor who did a lot of woodworking in the past but had to give it up because of allergies. He sold his shop equipment and wood stockpile when he moved here, however he kept a few pieces of fancy wood and showed them to me. The first one (First Photo) he had no idea what it was. It is...
                      Yesterday, 09:31 PM
                    Working...
                    X