Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Workshop extension/shop facelift - finished with new workbench!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update at 13 AprilIts been almost a month since my last post and my shop extension is progressing albeit slowly largely due to me nibbling at it on a regular basis rather than sticking with it and going full blast to get it finished.

The outside
    of the extension is almost finished apart from adding a fascia to the roof of the garden facing wall and giving a second coat of stucco to the lower part of its wall.

I had a frustrating delay in fabricating and hanging the end wall door which will lead onto a small concrete pad once I clear out what is currently a small raised bed corner of the garden. This was because many years back I constructed almost directly across from the door opening a substantial concrete and brick base for an outdoor grill which doubled as a support for the boundary wall of my SIL’s home next door which was showing signs of leaning outwards our way. This base prevents the door from fully opening and has to be almost completely removed. For now I’ve chopped out enough of it to allow me to hang the door and concentrate on working on the inside of the extension. I’ll leave rest of the demolition and excavation work until after I finish all of the shop work.

I also finally got the main entrance door installed after the installer had a delay of almost 2 weeks whilst waiting to source the appropriate profile to make the door – his excuse, not mine!

At the moment I’m insulating and cladding the inside walls where I used Durock concrete panels on the outside face and after this I’m going to be insulating and cladding the roof prior to installing the lighting. Once this is finished I have to skim the rough finished boundary wall of the extension with basecoat or stucco to give it a smooth finish after which I will give attention to installing the power line to the extension with the appropriate takeoff sockets.

One modification during this tidy up workAs I have no window openings in the shop I’ve decided to install a variable speed extractor fan into one of the walls. The fan I’ve ordered needs a wall opening of 12” square and since I haven’t got enough room in the end wall above the door I’ve decided to remove 4 of the glass blocks in the second panel I installed above what will be my workbench area. This is a good location as it will be at the highest point in the roof and pull air across my workbench area as well as drawing out any air-born dust my vacuum system doesn’t catch

As you can see from the photo I am constantly shuffling some of my workshop equipment around to free up areas of space to work on. This is frustrating but a necessary evil as free space in this area is at a premium particularly as I need to maintain a decent passageway from the shop extension through the existing narrow shop to the entrance door at the front of the house so that I can move materials into the shop and take rubbish out.

All in all this project is starting to come together and I am finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel, unless of course its just that I left the front door open at the far end of the galley workshop!

Speaking of light…. I was searching around for suitable lighting for the shop and on a website here in Mexico similar to Ebay I came across a company selling LED strip lighting at what seemed to be ridiculously cheap prices. The 4 ft long strips come in various presentations with either 1, 2 3 or 4 rows of LEDs. I bought a presentation pack of 4 strip lights each having 4 rows of LEDS which throw out the equivalent of a traditional 350 watt light source per strip but consume just 53 watts of electricity. The light is a cold daylight color temp. The electrical connection is a simple task of attaching the positive and negative wires from a regular wall mounted switch to two tail wires protruding from the reverse of the strip. I provisionally set up one of the strips to the ceiling of the extension just to see how well it would function at night and I was amazed to find that the one strip fully illuminates the extension and assuming I use 2 strips this will give me concentrated lighting over my workbench area and over the adjacent wall where I will likely position my midi lathe. These strips work out at the equivalent of 130 Mexican pesos each which is around 7 USD !! Naturally they are made in China but at this price I’m not complaining.

shop progress 1 - 13Apr.jpg

shop progress 2 - 13Apr.jpg

More to come…

Cheers!
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Comment

My many years on this earth has taught me that the only 5 minutes job is writing a check to have someone else do the work. I also learned that Murphy was an optimist. You took on an ambitious project and stuff will happen. It will be great when you are done. The good news is you are retired so no matter how long it takes you can keep on singing that old Rolling Stones song "Time is on my side". 🍺
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

no matter how long it takes you can keep on singing that old Rolling Stones song "Time is on my side". 🍺
        Nice one Scott! - an appropriate and good choice of a song title and I guess that like me you can remember it coming out.

Yesterday we had our first major rainstorm since well before Christmas which has literally put a dampener on some outside work I had planned but the good news is that the extension is leak free so I'll be mixing mortar and grabbing a trowel to skim the inside walls. Its amazing just how much better my progress on the extension looks once the walls get a facelift. Hopefully by early next week I'll be able to move my old work bench into the area and start building some wall mounted cabinets to house all the stuff I have stored on open shelves in my old shop.

Can't wait to get back to actually doing some woodwork!

Cheers!
        Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Update at 28 Apr -

Boy, this project is dragging on!
          I was press-ganged into taking some time out since my last update due to birthdays, Norma on the 22nd and mine on the 15th. Norma complained as usual that she is growing old - aren't we all? - I got up and completely forgot it was my birthday until my phone started ringing an hour later with greetings and a few sarcastic comments from my family remining me that I was still older than my 6 siblings.

Kevin came over for a few days and despite our city still being on red alert due to the pandemic we took a few rides out into the surrounding sparsely populated countryside and had several simple but very nice meals.

Back to the shop extension.

The construction work is all but finished inside and out apart from tidying up the end wall door and needing a new level floor which I have purposely left until last. I installed the variable speed extractor fan and jury rigged it to run and am please to report that it works fine.

The electrical installation will go in tomorrow and then I plan to start building cupboards so that I can dispense with open shelves in both the extension and the old shop. At the moment I've shunted down into the extension some of my workstations from the old shop so that I can clear it out. I'm contemplating replacing its existing roof which has been up about 15 years, and which I crudely insulated with sheets of unicel. I'm thinking to use new corrugated laminate with built in insulation. At the same time I will replace the rainwater channel which is getting past its 'use by date' and is showing signs of corrosion in a couple of places.. However this is not a must do task at present and for the moment I'm putting it on the back burner.

It dawned on me that I haven't really taken any photos of the old shop during this project so I am attaching one here. This should be entitled 'organized chaos'! I do know where everything is, honestly!, but the place is a mess as I move stuff backwards and forwards to give me room to work. Hopefully this photo will serve to shame/inspire me to end up with a much better organized shop once I have finished.

So this is where I am.

Looking into the old shop.

shop extn 28 Apr - 02.jpg

Packed extension awaiting electrical installation

shop extn 28 Apr 01.jpg

Cheers!
          Last edited by jim_mex; 04-28-2021, 02:49 PM. Reason: Addition to comment
          Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Looking good.
            Scott

Comment

Looking good. Someday, when I get all grown up, I too will have a shop! 😁
              Jim
              When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
              Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Someday, when I get all grown up, I too will have a shop! 😁
                Hey Jim - that sounds like that might be a long way off. This is the problem when you are too young at heart!
                Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Update at 9 May -

Finally,
                  my new shop extension is almost finished!

All interior wall and ceiling work is finished and the electrics are installed.
                  I arranged for individual power lines for each of the walls runs of sockets and for the lighting each linked to respective breaker switches in a new switch box located just inside the main door entrance and I also grounded all power outlets to a copper earthing rod sunk into the garden just outside the workshop wall. Grounded installations are something of a rarity here in Mexico which many local electricians seem to ignore and although I’m not expecting to hit by lightening strikes or findingr alternative ways to electrocute myself I thought it best to play safe.

I've started building some wall cabinets which will include organized in-door storage racks for router and drill bits and small gizmos I usually have trouble finding. I've also put my scrollsaw to use to-help make some wall mounts for my principal battery powered tools along with some cable storage gizmos for the chargers.

At the moment I’ve just finished dismantling my homemade table saw bench which previously doubled up as my router table and general purpose workbench and am now in the process of converting it into a professional workbench which will include my recently purchased portable 8 ¼” diam blade Skilsaw embedded into one end. Unlike most conventional wooden framed workbenches mine will be mainly fabricated from 2” square PTR steel supporting a heavy plank top. I originally thought of building a wooden framed bench and did quite a lot of research on different options but my ideas went down the chute after I called around to my local wood yard a couple of days back to buy timber only to find that they were completely out of stock and had an anticipated 2 week delay to get new stock in. As I didn’t want to delay with the workbench I opted to use steel. One positive side to using steelwork is that the bench will not flex or move according to climatic conditions or the natural drying of timber plus it will be pretty heavy and hopefully very stable.

Here are a couple more photos to show progress. M
                  y next post will likely be my final one in this thread with my extension finished and my new work area up and ready to go.

Cheers!

shop extn 9 May - 02.jpg shop extn 9 May - 01.jpg shop extn 9 May - 03.jpg

Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Looking good. I hope you took the day off to cook dinner for Norma.
                    Scott

Comment

Looking good. I hope you took the day off to cook dinner for Norma
                      Hi Scott - no cooking from my side yesterday but I do have a valid excuse. Unlike you folks in the US and my folks back in the UK, here in Mexico we do not celebrate Mothering Sunday. Instead El Dia de Las Madres for us is today, 10th May, so I will be taking Norma out for a meal somewhere later in the day. This way I will remain in her good books but escape cooking.

First off, however, is to get that workbench frame finished!
                      Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

There's a woodworker in Bruce's club who is moving to Spain with the rest of her family. We were gifted with 2 steel frames similar to what you made. One is about 6'long with an L shaped front about 18". The other is just a straight 6'. The one with the L shape is on my side with the drill press. He needs to buy some mdf to put across the long piece in the back so I can use it. The frame on his side is set up with his chopsaw near the middle. He now has a permanent work station for the chopsaw.
                        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Final update at 23 May

Although I still have a lot of work to do building cabinets to house all the stuff stored on shelves in my original workshop this is going to take time so I’m going to put this thread to bed with this final update post.

The shop extension still needs a new floor however my original patio floor is good enough for me to work on for the moment so this task has been knocked down my priority list. Importantly my new workbench is now finished. At 6ft long by 2 ft 7” wide (without the detachable tool tray) and 2 ft 8” height its a little shorter than I would have liked but should work fine in my restricted space working area. I researched a load of Youtube videos on workbenches and used ideas from a number of them and whilst I’m sure there are much more professional benches out there I’m pretty pleased how this one turned out.

I’ve noted some details of the construction in the attached photos. If anyone has comments or questions I’ll be pleased to get your replies in the thread

What is missing in this bench project is dust extraction for the Skill saw and router station which I plan to couple up to a Dust Deputy cyclonic separator. This detail will be taken care of asap. First I have to take a break from this project to travel to the US at the end of the month to visit a friend who has been looking after my BMW motorbike since the Covid outbreak began. I plan to sell the bike and use the proceeds to buy some travel gear for use with my current bike here in Mexico and maybe buy a few more smaller shop hand tools whilst I’m there. ;)

Speaking of tools I just purchased and took delivery of a WEN combination oscillating belt and spindle sander and a WEN 4214 drill press. These two items complete the power tool wish and upgrade list I wrote up a few months back.

So that’s it! With this extension I’ve added approx. 96 sq ft to my existing shop and importantly given me almost 2 ft more shop width at my workbench area making it much more comfortable to work in. Despite it still being a little tight for space this extension and the new bench is a vast improvement on what I had previously and with my updated array of power tools I hope to soon start reducing lumber to sawdust and shavings in it!

Cheers!

workbench.jpg
                          workbench01.jpg
                          workbench02.jpg

workbench03.jpg
                          workbench04.jpg
                          Last edited by jim_mex; 05-23-2021, 06:43 PM.
                          Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

WOW.... Enjoy.
                            Scott

Comment

WOW.... Enjoy.
                              Love the extensive critique Scott !

And here I was putting comments on the images to try to shorten one of my usual lengthy diatribes!!
                              I guess I still have a way to go....

Thanks pal!
                              Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to My computer issues.
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Rolf, if your Picassa file works I want it!!! They cram so much into newer programs that it just complicates things and takes away intuitive stuff. Thank you for checking!
                                Today, 05:55 PM
                              • Rolf
                                by Rolf
                                Linda,
                                Quote, I kept my old computer even though it was barely alive simply due to one particular program...Picassa by Google...which they removed from the market years ago. It worked like a combo photo and editing program but easier. It could take a photo and change it to a line drawing beautifully...
                                Today, 08:41 AM
                              • RJweb
                                by RJweb
                                Buy an apple and keep the computer dr away, RJ...
                                Today, 08:39 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to New turning tools
                                by Rolf
                                Thanks for posting Carole, Depending on what other time consuming distractions I have I might just have to do a wavy bowl.
                                Also for reminding me that I have your books on my shelf for inspiration!!
                                This will also be the first time I use the Excalibur to cut the rings instead of fighting...
                                Today, 08:27 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                by NC Scroller
                                There is a free software package by GLARY Utilities by glarysoft that our local computer club uses to clean junk off do hard drives and defrag. They recommend running it monthly. You should also check for malware which most antivirus software does not prevent.

https://www.glarysoft....
                                Today, 07:57 AM
                              Working...
                              X