Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Workshop extension/shop facelift - a WIP at 28April - organized chaos!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update at 13 AprilIts been almost a month since my last post and my shop extension is progressing albeit slowly largely due to me nibbling at it on a regular basis rather than sticking with it and going full blast to get it finished.

The outside
    of the extension is almost finished apart from adding a fascia to the roof of the garden facing wall and giving a second coat of stucco to the lower part of its wall.

I had a frustrating delay in fabricating and hanging the end wall door which will lead onto a small concrete pad once I clear out what is currently a small raised bed corner of the garden. This was because many years back I constructed almost directly across from the door opening a substantial concrete and brick base for an outdoor grill which doubled as a support for the boundary wall of my SIL’s home next door which was showing signs of leaning outwards our way. This base prevents the door from fully opening and has to be almost completely removed. For now I’ve chopped out enough of it to allow me to hang the door and concentrate on working on the inside of the extension. I’ll leave rest of the demolition and excavation work until after I finish all of the shop work.

I also finally got the main entrance door installed after the installer had a delay of almost 2 weeks whilst waiting to source the appropriate profile to make the door – his excuse, not mine!

At the moment I’m insulating and cladding the inside walls where I used Durock concrete panels on the outside face and after this I’m going to be insulating and cladding the roof prior to installing the lighting. Once this is finished I have to skim the rough finished boundary wall of the extension with basecoat or stucco to give it a smooth finish after which I will give attention to installing the power line to the extension with the appropriate takeoff sockets.

One modification during this tidy up workAs I have no window openings in the shop I’ve decided to install a variable speed extractor fan into one of the walls. The fan I’ve ordered needs a wall opening of 12” square and since I haven’t got enough room in the end wall above the door I’ve decided to remove 4 of the glass blocks in the second panel I installed above what will be my workbench area. This is a good location as it will be at the highest point in the roof and pull air across my workbench area as well as drawing out any air-born dust my vacuum system doesn’t catch

As you can see from the photo I am constantly shuffling some of my workshop equipment around to free up areas of space to work on. This is frustrating but a necessary evil as free space in this area is at a premium particularly as I need to maintain a decent passageway from the shop extension through the existing narrow shop to the entrance door at the front of the house so that I can move materials into the shop and take rubbish out.

All in all this project is starting to come together and I am finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel, unless of course its just that I left the front door open at the far end of the galley workshop!

Speaking of light…. I was searching around for suitable lighting for the shop and on a website here in Mexico similar to Ebay I came across a company selling LED strip lighting at what seemed to be ridiculously cheap prices. The 4 ft long strips come in various presentations with either 1, 2 3 or 4 rows of LEDs. I bought a presentation pack of 4 strip lights each having 4 rows of LEDS which throw out the equivalent of a traditional 350 watt light source per strip but consume just 53 watts of electricity. The light is a cold daylight color temp. The electrical connection is a simple task of attaching the positive and negative wires from a regular wall mounted switch to two tail wires protruding from the reverse of the strip. I provisionally set up one of the strips to the ceiling of the extension just to see how well it would function at night and I was amazed to find that the one strip fully illuminates the extension and assuming I use 2 strips this will give me concentrated lighting over my workbench area and over the adjacent wall where I will likely position my midi lathe. These strips work out at the equivalent of 130 Mexican pesos each which is around 7 USD !! Naturally they are made in China but at this price I’m not complaining.

shop progress 1 - 13Apr.jpg

shop progress 2 - 13Apr.jpg

More to come…

Cheers!
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Comment

My many years on this earth has taught me that the only 5 minutes job is writing a check to have someone else do the work. I also learned that Murphy was an optimist. You took on an ambitious project and stuff will happen. It will be great when you are done. The good news is you are retired so no matter how long it takes you can keep on singing that old Rolling Stones song "Time is on my side". 🍺
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

no matter how long it takes you can keep on singing that old Rolling Stones song "Time is on my side". 🍺
        Nice one Scott! - an appropriate and good choice of a song title and I guess that like me you can remember it coming out.

Yesterday we had our first major rainstorm since well before Christmas which has literally put a dampener on some outside work I had planned but the good news is that the extension is leak free so I'll be mixing mortar and grabbing a trowel to skim the inside walls. Its amazing just how much better my progress on the extension looks once the walls get a facelift. Hopefully by early next week I'll be able to move my old work bench into the area and start building some wall mounted cabinets to house all the stuff I have stored on open shelves in my old shop.

Can't wait to get back to actually doing some woodwork!

Cheers!
        Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Update at 28 Apr -

Boy, this project is dragging on!
          I was press-ganged into taking some time out since my last update due to birthdays, Norma on the 22nd and mine on the 15th. Norma complained as usual that she is growing old - aren't we all? - I got up and completely forgot it was my birthday until my phone started ringing an hour later with greetings and a few sarcastic comments from my family remining me that I was still older than my 6 siblings.

Kevin came over for a few days and despite our city still being on red alert due to the pandemic we took a few rides out into the surrounding sparsely populated countryside and had several simple but very nice meals.

Back to the shop extension.

The construction work is all but finished inside and out apart from tidying up the end wall door and needing a new level floor which I have purposely left until last. I installed the variable speed extractor fan and jury rigged it to run and am please to report that it works fine.

The electrical installation will go in tomorrow and then I plan to start building cupboards so that I can dispense with open shelves in both the extension and the old shop. At the moment I've shunted down into the extension some of my workstations from the old shop so that I can clear it out. I'm contemplating replacing its existing roof which has been up about 15 years, and which I crudely insulated with sheets of unicel. I'm thinking to use new corrugated laminate with built in insulation. At the same time I will replace the rainwater channel which is getting past its 'use by date' and is showing signs of corrosion in a couple of places.. However this is not a must do task at present and for the moment I'm putting it on the back burner.

It dawned on me that I haven't really taken any photos of the old shop during this project so I am attaching one here. This should be entitled 'organized chaos'! I do know where everything is, honestly!, but the place is a mess as I move stuff backwards and forwards to give me room to work. Hopefully this photo will serve to shame/inspire me to end up with a much better organized shop once I have finished.

So this is where I am.

Looking into the old shop.

shop extn 28 Apr - 02.jpg

Packed extension awaiting electrical installation

shop extn 28 Apr 01.jpg

Cheers!
          Last edited by jim_mex; 04-28-2021, 02:49 PM. Reason: Addition to comment
          Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Looking good.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Looking good. Someday, when I get all grown up, I too will have a shop! 😁
              Jim
              When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
              Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• millwab
                Reply to elementary questions
                by millwab
                Dan, your questions are a little tough to answer without knowing a little more about this puzzle you're cutting. That said, here are my thoughts:
                • First of all, it would be helpful to know the overall size of this puzzle and how many pieces you're thinking of cutting it into. 1/2" BB is pretty
                Today, 07:09 PM
              • dwssr2
                elementary questions
                by dwssr2
                So I am making a puzzel for a co worker, not real intricagte, I am using 1/2 baltic birch, I almost always use fdur blades. My questions are what size blade sholuld I use, considering finish, and what size entry hole should I drill?
                Next question is how to finish? When painting puzzles, different...
                Today, 11:49 AM
              • Sandy Oaks
                Reply to ArtCrafters - Pegas Scroll Saw Blades
                by Sandy Oaks
                Thanks Linda. I got the email and sent you a reply. I hope I answered the questions....
                Today, 11:33 AM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                Reply to ArtCrafters - Pegas Scroll Saw Blades
                by Linda In Phoenix
                Hey Denny---I shot you an email with a few questions. I might just have to dip my toe into the world of Pegas blades vs FD. At least to try! Open minded explorations. Thank you ! Linda
                Today, 10:29 AM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                Reply to Having a Betty week
                by Linda In Phoenix
                Be careful---soon she will be able to outrun you! Remember when fridges lasted for decades?! Glad she's doing well.
                Today, 10:12 AM
              Working...
              X