Lathe ready for action - it's mobile! - update at 17Dec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lathe ready for action - it's mobile! - update at 17Dec

Update at 17Dec - Lathe ready for action- it's mobile - see thread reply #26

Update at 11 Dec - Lathe arrived with some problems - see thread reply #19

Update at 5 Dec - scroll down to thread reply #12

Hi all

Much as I love the challenge of scrolling and trying out new ideas now I've finally dropped into retirement I've been looking for something in the craft woodworking field which which I could be more productive in such that I could possibly make a little bit of pocket money out of my work..

For a long time I've been itching to have a go at turning bowls and boxes and finally last week I bit the bullet and ordered a Delta Industrial 46-460 Midi lathe along with a ruck of accessories to get me started on this new venture. Hopefully this will arrive to my home within the coming fortnight.

They say that you can't teach old dogs new tricks but as I've never prescribed to that piece of wisdom I'm out to prove it wrong.

I know of at least one forum member who is a very capable woodturner and I've already been leaning on him for some tips - thanks Rhys.

I'm curious to know who else of our forum members has dabbled in woodturning.

Be careful in admitting to this because you will likely be leaving yourself open to a barrage of questions from yours truly.

Cheers!
    Last edited by jim_mex; 12-17-2020, 07:09 PM.
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

DANGER....DANGER....DANGER wood turning is a vortex what sucks people into the darkness that few ever return from. After all where else do you take a round tree, cut a chunk from it, and make it round again. Just not natural. Make sure you get a good face shield and you use it.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Too funny Scott!

Rest assured however that I have already purchased a good quality faceshield and have an ample supply of dust masks as well!

Thanks for the advice!
      Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Hey Betty---another new toy! Can't wait to see what you do with it Jim.
        Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Linda 😂😂. Seriously Jim, Bruce has some sort of head gear that has a helmet/face shield that seals under the chin and a fan on top to bring in air. I use it when I get a chance to practice with my grinder. I also wear safety glasses under the shield for extra protection. He also has a turning jacket he wears to keep the Sawdust from going down his shirt. Whatever you make it will be amazing.
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Wait till you get the segmented bug - that's when you know you have reached the inner sanctum. Wood turners make bowls out of chunks of wood. Segmented turners make bowls out of flat boards.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by tgiro01; 12-01-2020, 11:27 PM. Reason: spelling
            Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

That is beautiful. Your design?
              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Wow! That segmented bowl is amazing!

Betty - I have an old Darth Vader helmet somewhere. Will that substitute Bruce's get up? Failing that there always my current biker's helmet Thanks very much for the safety advice and concern. Rest assured that safety is my priority these days.
                Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Betty - yes my design. I'm editing the video I made while making the feature ring.

Jim - I know I'm preaching to a member of the choir, but, please watch some of the Youtube videos on wood turning safety. There's a dozen or so of them out there. There are three words you'll hear a lot -- Ride The Bevel. Once you have picked up that technique, you'll progress much faster.

Get a good sharpening jig for your gouges. I use the Oneway Wolverine jig, but there are three or four good ones.
                  Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Thanks Tony for the safety advice. Being one eyed these days I am definitely going to be taking extra care to wear suitable face protection. As to the safety videos, yes, I've already checked out several and pulled up a lot of very useful information. Whilst I've never turned wood before as a practising potter in the past I have turned plaster and of course clay and have learned to be careful when working with articles spinning at high revolutions. One other investment I am looking into is a heavy duty apron. If you have any suggestions please let me know

Ref the sharpening jig. I ordered a Wolverine jig from Amazon last week and should be receiving it next week.

Can't wait for the lathe to arrive and get started. I just need to curb my tendency to run before I walk which is usually my biggest challenge

Thanks again for the sound advice
                    Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

I will be most interested to see the results of your work Jim. Good luck with it all.

Comment

Update 5 Dec -

The run in to Christmas these days is usually too commercial for me to get very enthusiastic about the upcoming holiday and this year is not helped by the effect the Covid-19 situation is having on us and all around us but I can still remember the days of my youth when I was often fired up waiting for that one special gift to appear on Christmas Day. Well that sensation from years ago has resurfaced as I await delivery of my latest 'toy'

Since I started this post there has been a constant delivery of packages to my door as I've dug deeper into what I will need to start up this new distraction.
                        To date I have received a set of Crown Pro Gouges along with a Wolverine Grinding Jig, a Delta Nova G3 Reversible Chuck, a Savannah heavy duty set of tailstock live centers, a fixed drill chuck mandrel for the tailstock, a set of sanding discs and mandrels specifically for sanding smaller bowls and boxes, most importantly a full face shield mask with forehead protection and finally an introductory book, “Turning Bowls” by Richard Raffan which I’ve already read cover to cover and will likely read several times again! Also, under the influence of Tony’s splendid segmented bowl he posted I’ve ordered a second book entitled “ The Art of Segmented Wood Turning; A Step by Step Guide” by Malcolm Tibbets.

This morning I received notification that my lathe has passed from the USA supplier into Mexico with a minimal delay getting through customs and it is scheduled to arrive to my door in approx. 7 days.

My only issue I have at the moment is that I still haven’t found space in my workshed to accommodate it, but I’m working on it!

So, whilst Covid-19 has likely put a dampener on Christmas for many folks on this forum I know of one guy who will me more than pleased to be quarantined at home, practicing social distancing whilst wearing a rather larger than normal OSHA approved face protection!

Boys and toys eh!!!

Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Jim, it is a long time since I did any segmented turning and your comments prompted me to go back to bookshelves and uncover a book by Ron Hampton, on segmented turning .... food for thought.

Comment

Jim, best wishes for success with your latest undertaking. You manage to fine new adventures without even leaving home!

I bought the Tibbets book many years ago, when I was looking for ideas I could apply to stacked ring bowls. The literature for lathe turned bowls was extensive, while that for scrolled bowls was confined to one book, which also required use of a router. I was totally blown away by the beauty of these bowls, and their economical use of wood. One of the forum old-timers who has long since disappeared (I think he went by the name Sherwood) used traditional methods to create beautiful segmentation. He then cut angled rings with the scroll saw and finished the bowl with sanders.

While I was doing my research, I also found an old turning book by Dale Nish, which included a bowl with rings cut on the bandsaw, then finished with a lathe--often called "bowl from a board". The problem with the bandsaw is that you have to cut into the ring, and there's no way to hide the vertical gash that runs down the sides.

Enjoy the learning part of the process, as well as the results of your work, which you can then display on your new tables.
                            Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

I see by the number of tools etc you have bought, wood turning can be a real money pit.

I was a turner long before I starting scrolling. When I started out I was not very good but I took a couple of lessons and I stopped flipping bowls off the lathe. If there is someone you know that can give you a few pointers on the tool usage it is well worth it.

I still have my lathe and use it occasionally as I ran out of friends and relatives to give away my bowls and pens to. I keep up my skills by turning a few wig stands that go to cancer patients. It a bowl, platter and spindle all in one project.

Enjoy

Wig Standt.jpg
                              Attached Files
                              Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X