Big week here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big week here

Well friends quite a week here on the prairie.
    Long back story, but our son was adamant we get a fast response COVID test last Saturday, so we could attend an outdoor gathering of his girlfriend's family. About an hour into the ATV and dirt bike riding, he got off the 4-wheeler and dropped to one knee and (finally) proposed to his long time girlfriend. We were more than mildly surprised and tickled to death.
    Then, on Thursday, I gave my company six months notice of my retirement. I gave them long notice to try to train my yet to be named replacement. With the numerous things I get asked to do and research, I feel I need the time to sd how the new person MOST of the out of the ordinary they will encounter.
    I don't mind the technical side of my job, but the truck parts in the warehouse get heavier every year. Between a tiny hernia and a bum shoulder, it's getting time to make sawdust and go see what we have always talked as about visiting.
    Last edited by Jim McDonald; 10-24-2020, 06:10 PM.
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Enjoy life, Congrat.

Comment

Hi Jim - A nice story regarding your son biting the bullet. Congrats to all!

Re your upcoming retirement. I wasn't really looking forward to mine but to be honest, apart from being home based due to this darn virus, I've gotten accustomed to getting up in the morning and deciding what I want to do instead of having other folks plan my daily workload for me.

The 6 months wait will pass quickly pal then its look out, its whoopee time. Go for it!
      Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
      - Albert Einstein

Comment

Yes you have had a great week.! It is really nice that your son shared this special moment. Regarding retirement, Almost 5 years for me, Never regreted my decision, not for an instant.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Bruce said he felt like he needed to look for a job when he first retired. That lasted for about a month and he hasn’t looked back since. I had a friend whose company gave him a 50th party. At the party he told them he was retiring in 2 weeks! Trust us, you will love being retired.
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop time then guess again.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Congrats on all accounts,
              I have been retired for 21 years and have no regrets. Hope you and your family take full advantage of the well earned time

Comment

Happy news on the negative covid test, the family get together, the happy proposal, and retirement too!! Congrats. I hope you find a wonderful replacement full of potential to carry on your good work quickly so that you can train the heck out of that person.
                Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Haven't met anyone that regretted retirement if they had something to do. Hope they find a replacement quickly so training can occur.
                  "Time to Give Back"

Comment

Leading up to my retirement I too worried about who would replace me. Truth be told I was more worried than my management. It took a couple months after my retirement for the feelings to go away. Now I only miss the people and not the job.
                    Scott
                    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Congratulations on gaining a Daughter in law. An on the up coming retirement. I'm sure you have been missing your scrollsaw. I'm am so looking forward to retirement when my time comes.
                      Tricia

Comment

What company are you retiring from? I noticed you mentioned warehouse and truck parts. Bruce was at Cummins Atlantic, I mean Chesapeake, I mean Cummins power. Same company just different principal holders. He was in parts the whole time. Heaven help the mechanic that came for parts for the same job more than once. Or the customer that wouldn’t give him a serial number and wanted parts. Yep, when that boat engine blew it was on the sales receipt customer did not supply serial number with signatures.
                        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
                          What company are you retiring from? I noticed you mentioned warehouse and truck parts. Bruce was at Cummins Atlantic, I mean Chesapeake, I mean Cummins power. Same company just different principal holders. He was in parts the whole time. Heaven help the mechanic that came for parts for the same job more than once. Or the customer that wouldn’t give him a serial number and wanted parts. Yep, when that boat engine blew it was on the sales receipt customer did not supply serial number with signatures.
                          Betty, I am retiring from a family [not mine] owned International dealer with 10 locations.
                          I have fought those same wars Bruce discussed. My body is beginning to rebel on some of the warehouse work.
                          Jim
                          When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                          Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Bet you didn’t throw parts at mechanics when they came to the window the third time for the same job.
                            Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X