No announcement yet.

countdown for Bruce.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about OJ & vodka? More fruit! Talked to Bruce an hour ago. He sounds ok but tired. Won't know until tomorrow if he's coming home tomorrow or not. His arm is tied to his waist so it doesn't move. It is going to be a very long 3 weeks!!
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Glad things went well! You will have your hands full at home while he recovers. Take care!

Comment

One thing June said to me when I shattered my elbow. There will be no humility! ask for help! And I did need help with lots of things.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Waiting for PT to call then I can go get him. He sounded great when I've talked with him this morning. Only pain meds he is on is tylenol! He said his shoulder doesn't hurt as much as it did before surgery. He can sleep in the bed but needs pillows behind him so he doesn't lay flat.Told him he can sleep in Elliott's bed as it is against the wall. He can do most of what he wants, as long as he doesn't use his right arm. A whole bunch of dos and don'ts that's why PT wants to talk with both of us. Doctor appointment was changed for 2 weeks, said he doesn't need to see him so soon. Dr. said he should have had this done 5 years ago, would have just been a shoulder replacement, not reversal.. When will he listen to me? Same thing I told him when he retired. Scott, I'm going for OJ and vodka, that way I can get my vitamin C.
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

He's home. He's being a very good patient, most of the time. He didn't sleep at all last night. The ice machine he has is quite interesting. You fill it with water, put in ice and plug the hose into the pads on his shoulder and plug itin. . Circulates the cold water which relieves the pain. Fortunately, he doesn't have much pain. He's taking tylenol, celebrex and another nerve pain pill. Take the top bandage off Sunday. If I take the "zip line" bandage off by mistake, need to get him to the hospital. Very confusing. I still haven't figured it out. Will ask the girl next store to help with it, she's a nurse. So far quiet. Hope it stays that way.
            Betty

Comment

Sounds like things are going ok and he is not having much pain...that is great. I have had hip, spine and wrists. The wrists were the worse and a 3+ hour surgery and very painful. My wife has been wonderful thru them all and I recognize how much she had to do. I was probably not a real good patient unless I had my pills.

You are working hard so take care of yourself.

Comment

Bruce is doing great. Took the outer bandage off. And yes, they sewed him back up with a zipper! The skin is folded and held together by the plastic type hangers similar to what hold price tags on clothing. I have to cut one end of the tab off and pull through the other side. The zipper dissolves. Wonder if I can collect surgical fees for that? He uses the ice machine 3 times a day, or more, if he needs it. The sling keeps him from sleeping more than 2 hours at a time. He has a DonJoy III sling and it is as awkward and uncomfortable around the neck as it looks. He started walking again and walked 2 miles today. I just keep starting and stopping things. Oh well. Sure am glad I cooked and froze all those meals. Take out of freezer, toss in microwave and dinner is served! And, I finally went to the market Sunday. Sold the dough board for $165, then they bought 2 grinders. Sold a lot of stuff. It was good to get back and my customers were certainly glad to see me. And my business account was certainly glad to see them. Bruce said he is going this Sunday. Back to the saw unless I hear a thump in the shower.
                Betty

Comment

Betty, glad to hear he is recovering well. Tell him not to push it too early though, lots of folks who do that and have a set back. Slow and steady is the pace.
                  Melanie from East TN

Comment

Me listening to Bruce today.
                    Attached Files
                    Betty

Comment

Opening bottle of wine when we get home from Doctor. He has no sense of direction. Directions from Bruce - right at road before hospital. I take a right - this is wrong. Ok, now where? What’s address. 10725. 10725 what? I don’t know. How did you get here before surgery? Took right at light, took left then right. If you took a right than I had to take a left. No, not sure. At this point all out war! Call Stacey in the office, oh wait you left your phone home with her number and DIRECTIONS. Now what? Go here take left, back in main road in front of hospital, take left here, take left here, no wait next left, cars behind probably thinking woman driver, take left, another right and we are there. The address? 10275 Charter. And he wants to go on a cross country road trip.
                      Betty

Comment

Keep us posted. Take care of not just him, but yourself too. You can't take good care of him if you are not taking care of you. We'll keep you in thoughts.
                        Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Despite our trip to and from the doctor, he did amazing. Has to wean from wearing the sling by the time he starts PT in 3 weeks. He can also stop his pills except Tylenol as needed. He has 2 pages of pt orders of what the dr wants them to do. To paraphrase the first few lines, the dr says do exactly as written. Do not cause pain in therapy. Do not raise arm higher than 45 deg. Do not change anything without calling me first. He told Bruce if they change anything to call his office while there. Plus he has a lot of don’ts in bold capitals. He has therapy once or twice a week, depending on how his arm feels. He is also done woodworking for the recovery time. The order is for 3 months than he has a follow up dr appt. it could take up to 6 months of therapy and up to 12 months for full recovery. And the trip home was just as eventful as getting there.
                          Last edited by will8989; 09-17-2020, 11:25 PM.
                          Betty

Comment

Bruce took the “zipper”ff today. Yep, the stitches were zipper type. When we were packing up at the market Sunday, the coffee vendor asked if we wanted a taste of his chocolate whiskey coffee. We said no thanks. After driving to Annapolis in the truck today to get Elliott, Bruce said he was going to take him up on the offer this Sunday. Guess he doesn’t like my driving.
                            Betty

Comment

Bruce is doing amazing. First time tonight he is sleeping without it. He wears it when going anyplace, mostly to keep people from bumping into him. He is doing more movement with his arm, just not carrying anything or lifting. Starts PT 10/12, 3-6 months. Today is brother had double back surgery. They had to remove and redo a fusion in his neck he had done years ago, then had to operate on L3-5. Also messed up from a previous surgery and his backbone was twisted. Hopefully he will now be pain free, sleep at night and be closer to his 6’9” height. It was an 8 hour surgery and he’s doing fine.
                              Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                                Today, 10:32 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                                Today, 09:46 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by NC Scroller
                                I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                                Today, 07:42 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                by NC Scroller
                                I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                                Today, 07:39 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                                Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                              Working...
                              X