Bruce out of commission 6-12 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce out of commission 6-12 months

He is finally getting his shoulder surgery. But they have to do a reversal instead of replacement. He will be in a sling 3-6 weeks, then physical therapy for who knows how long. It is scheduled for Sept 9. If there is an upside, it is his right arm and he is left handed. I’m cooking and freezing meals, busy getting wood prepped and stacked, getting supplies he might need, etc. He is a planner so he has things figured out. But we all know about plans. What I don’t like is on the day of the surgery, I go in the hospital with him then leave when he goes back for surgery. I will be sitting in the truck until he is awake and I talk to him. It is a 1-2 day stay. Working on my “ace up my sleeve” as Dad always told me to have. Will let you know how it goes.
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Betty we will keep both of you in our prayers. Recently when a friend of our's wife had to have surgery 3 of us went and sat in the parking lot with him for a couple hours. He said it made all the difference in the world. You should try to arrange company.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Best of luck with Bruce, RJ
      Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

Thoughts and prayers on your way. Wish I was closer to help.
        Jim
        When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
        Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

I had reverse shoulder surgery almost two and half years ago. The first little while is bad, a lot of discomfort but I am really glad I had it done. I went from a spoon full of cereal being to heavy to lift to my mouth to almost full strength recovery. The physical therapy is really important, just keep plugging away and it gets better. There is a point at which it still twinges when I rotate up and back but for the most part I would say I had a full recovery. It took about 4 months to reach the point I could use the arm fairly well. The expectation according to my Dr. was 95% useage -only 95% due to the mechanics of the replacement joint used. I would say that has been my experience. By the way I was 74yrs old and I was in okay shape but not anything outstanding.
          Best wishes for Bruce and just hang in there it gets better.

El

Comment

He’s been talking about this since before he retired. He didn’t want to do it then because they have no light duty and they would have let him go. I mentioned it once every January and he finally said it was so bad he needed to get it fixed. Was supposed to happen in March. He will do what the doctor tells him to the letter. My son will be with me so I won’t be alone. Going to be interesting!
            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Glad he will be able to get it taken care of and that it is not on his dominate arm. Prayers said for him, you, and the surgical team and PT team that all goes smoothly. Glad your son will be there with you.
              Melanie from East TN

Comment

Bruce and of course you and your family will be in our prayers. Any hospitalization now is, in my opinion, worse for the family than the patient. It really sucks that wife and other family members are not allowed to be with you. I fully understand the need for these precautions. With my visit and surgery last week I told June to go home. Sitting in the parking lot was pointless, unfortunately she was home alone as the Isias storm went through along with loss of power, etc.
                Bruce will come home a better man and you will be able to beat him up in no time.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Hang in there Betty. I am sure that Bruce will come out of the surgery and therapy just fine. Patience and strictly following doctor's orders is the name of the game. Not always easy to do but necessary.

Hoping that you can soon put all of your issues this year behind you and that Bruce and yourself can soon get back to living a more normal life.

Best wishes.

Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                  - Albert Einstein

Comment

Just want to echo everything that has been said and wish Bruce well in his surgery and recovery.
                    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

The problem is the hospital is 30 minutes away on a good day. So I will stay there until he’s out of surgery and I talk with someone. His brothers aren’t happy they can’t be there either. At least it is Hopkins. Not the one in the city but at Howard county. Bruce isn’t one to sit around and do nothing. He’ll be ok the first week but after that he may be looking for a new home.
                      Betty

Comment

I hope you have a good recliner. If not get one before the surgery. A friend recently had major shoulder surgery and she is still sleeping every night in the recliner 4 months later.
                        Scott
                        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I read something just last night [wish I could remember where] and the person talked about how much better their life is post rehab.
                          Tell Bruce to hang in there.
                          Jim
                          When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                          Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Bruce's surgeon sent a list of items that he needs for the surgery: Drill/Saw, 3 different types of bond adhesive, fiber bond material, special syringe, steri strips (in half), types of dressings, Brace - Shoulder immob with abd. pillow, ice unit - he needs to ice it 8 hours a day, 30 minutes on 30 minutes off, beach chair for surgery and sleeping. Who does this? Johns Hopkins Ortho Surgery - Shoulder Service. Our couch has a recliner on each end He said he will sleep on the left side. He doesn't want the recliner rocker as he can't get comfortable in it for long periods of time. His diagnosis is rotator cuff tear or rupture of right shoulder. Surgeon faxed his doctor a complete list of items that needs to be done 2 weeks prior to surgery. Now we know Bruce already has the appointment set up. How did we find this doctor? My nephew is a surgical equipment salesman and this doctor is one he sees frequently and is in the OR with. Hence, ace up my sleeve. He's really looking forward to this to be out of pain and he thinks he will be back to 95% 4-6 months, even though the doctor said could be up to 12 months due to all that needs to be repaired. Baby steps, Bruce, baby steps. He said he wants to be better by winter incase he needs to use the snowblower!!! Seriously?
                            Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X