Home remodelling pains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home remodelling pains

Hi - Norma and I live in a very modest single story home on a very small plot in our home city which was passed on to us after my mother-in-law died. Its a cosy place but after about 45 years since its construction it's showing its age.

Just when I thought I'd be able to get back into my small workshed and spend some time scrolling and undertaking some woodworking projects my darling wife has shot me down by declaring that we are going to remodel the house asap.She has already contracted a local architect to design the modifications and supervise the work and he is waiting for the green light to begin. The work includes new windows, internal and external doors, new closets, complete retile throughout the house, false ceilings with modern light fittings plus a small kitchen extension. My outdoor junk store room also has to go and in its place I am planning for an office/organized store room for yours truly to free up a bedroom in the house.

I can't argue with this decision because of a deal I promised Norma upon my retirement last April, namely I'd get to buy my long sought after adventure motorbike and she'd get to remodel the house!

The past weekend I've been undertaking a savage sort out of the junk store room and the amount of stuff I have thrown out is amazing. Most of all that I want to keep is being transferred into my workshed to the point where its almost impossible to move inside it. Meanwhile Norma is attacking the closets in our home which are filled with boxes of stuff which haven't seen the light of day in 2 decades or more!

Since Norma is working from home I calculate it will take us about 2 week's to completely gut the house and then we will move next door to my sister-in-laws place whilst the remodelling takes place.

Hopefully by the end of August the home will be ready to move back into meanwhile priority will go to building the new outdoor office so that in around 4 weeks time I can begin to equip it out and free up space in my workshed to then undertake some carpentry work for various projects for the remodelled home.

Despite some initial thoughts of maybe slowing down a little during my retirement it looks like for the next 8 weeks I am going to have more than enough work to keep me occupied from dawn until dusk. Regretfully any scrolling will have to go onto the back burner until all this is finished but I promise I'll be back.

PS - I have negotiated 1 free day per week to take my bike out for a ride. Marriage after all is a compromise arrangement!

Wish us luck!
    Last edited by jim_mex; 07-21-2020, 11:50 AM.
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Jim most of us have been there at some level. I like tools (hand and power), working with my hands and making saw dust. Though it does not count to scrolling I see it counting as wood working.. All in all I see it as a plus. Besides you might be able to a work a new tool or two out of the deal. "Hey Norma I would love to build you those new cabinets and shelving unit but my saw is to small. I need that 3hp Saw Stop Pro saw and that Nova DVR drill press".
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Hi Scott - thanks for putting a big smile on my face this morning with your suggestion to put to Norma. You have a devious mind my friend!

It just so happens I was looking at a Grizzly G0833P table saw over the weekend to replace my home made saw table so that I could better tackle a number of storage units I will need to build for my office and for the home plus a dining room table I've promised Norma for our revamped dining room. Maybe I should also add a decent drill press...
      Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Glad you were able to negotiate that 1 day a week to ride your bike. That was my first thought, should have held off on the bike because you won’t have any time to ride it. 😉☺️ Looks like you planned ahead on that one, should have thought to ask for 2nd day for scrolling. ☺️ You know the old adage though, as my husband regularly notes, happy wife, happy life or his favorite thing to tell men getting married, two words which work 90% of the top - “yes dear” the other 10% where those don’t work (like does this dress make me look fat, he says the answer is “ you are beautiful” ☺️🤗

we have been remodeling a home we bought in Atlanta as an investment while my daughter is in grad school there. She lives there and rents out to two roommates/classmates. It’s definitely a process. Hoping to be done in a couple more weeks. Good luck on yours.
        Melanie from East TN

Comment

Thanks Melanie for the sound advice - I'd have tried to negotiate a day for scrolling if there was a chance I could actually get into my shed to use the scrollsaw but thats out of the question! I think I now need to invest in a pack of extra large 'sky hooks' to hang up stuff I no longer have floor space for!
          Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Jim,

Welcome to the club. Since retirement, I often say that I do not know how I ever found the time to work. That was 26 years ago this pas July 1. The other wise words of wisdom is: The lord put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number things. I am so far behind I will never die.
            cwmagee
            aka Fibber
            Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

What you are planing in such a short time has taken June and I 24 years of sweat equity one room at a time. We never had the resources to have someone do it. With the exception of our kitchen and new siding we did most of it ourselves. One of the disadvantages of knowing how things should be done makes getting a good contractor a challenge. Have fun, it will all be worth it when it is done. It is nice that you don't have to live in the middle of the construction.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Fibber - I can certainly see the positives in your words of wisdom but I am not sure that Norma has the patience to keep waiting for me to tackle one thing at a time!

Rolf - it sounds like my past experiences are similar to yours. Not only did Norma and I not have the resources in the past but even if I had have had them it is so difficult where I live to find good tradesmen particularly when, like you, I know how most things should be done. Fortunately my last job bolstered my resources sufficiently for me to stand back a little and pay for others to do most of the heavy work and I'm going to be around all of the time to check what the architect and his team of workers are doing. Nevertheless I find myself this morning routing out new electricity and plumbing lines to where my rebuilt office/work store will be and using muscles that haven't been used much these past few years! Some old habits refuse to die!

The good news from my side is that my junk/store room which measures 14 ' x 8' and was literally packed to the ceiling with all manner of things is now empty. I wish I could say the same for the house but we are getting there

Cheers!
                Last edited by jim_mex; 07-23-2020, 12:23 PM. Reason: typos
                Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by jim_mex View Post
                  Hi Scott - thanks for putting a big smile on my face this morning with your suggestion to put to Norma. You have a devious mind my friend!

It just so happens I was looking at a Grizzly G0833P table saw over the weekend to replace my home made saw table so that I could better tackle a number of storage units I will need to build for my office and for the home plus a dining room table I've promised Norma for our revamped dining room. Maybe I should also add a decent drill press...
                  I suggest you hold out for the SawStop. Afterall, with your recent history, no sense tempting fate. 😁😉
                  Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Hi Bill - I'm not totally against the SawStop but, notwithstanding my penchant for accidents recently, at this moment it is outside of my budget especially to bring it in to Mexico. If I were planning to undertake full time carpentry work and had a bigger shop then I would seriously consider it but for the moment the Grizzly seems like the saw I will grin and bear - pun intended!
                    Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

A deal is a deal!! Hope it goes like you are planning. Like others, we did one room at a time and when we got almost done, the rooms we did years ago needed redoing. The latest was the kitchen. Being the picky person that Bruce is he built the cabinets himself, never ever having built one cabinet muchless a whole kitchen full. One year for project turned into two just getting the cabinets built as he had to stop for shows in the fall and whatever life threw at us.. Than the installation turned from one month into 5. His brother has his own remodeling business so he helped with the installation, electricity, floors, etc. Luckily our kitchen is small, 10x10 and I ended up with about 35sq ft of countertop.Never ending process. Good luck! And if things get tense, you can always hop on the bike, go for a short ride and bring Norma some flowers or her favorite treat.
                      Last edited by will8989; 07-24-2020, 11:40 AM.
                      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Good luck with the renovations Jim .... just remember scope creep is your enemy, timewise.

Comment

Hi Betty - I fully understand the remodelling cycle and am pleased that on this occasion we are completely gutting the house and getting everything finished in one go - says he hopefully.... and yes, I will be escaping on the bike now and then to maintain my sanity!

Hi Rhys - ref scope creep - I've not heard that term before but fully understand it. After talking with the architect twice in the past few days and changing somewhat Norma's original ideas this is something I'm hoping to avoid. I have definitely formed the opinion that our architect, if left to his own opinions would have added on all sorts of exotic ideas and then tagged on an equally exotic price for his work. After having sat through two very sensible discussions with him during the past week we are back down to compromising his original design to our idea based on reality and I am now better convinced that Norma and I will achieve what we are looking for, the architect will still have a decent amount of free reign and most importantlymy bank account won't be put into the red. Famous last words!!!

Hopefully the house will be emptied by mid week and then the demolition work will begin!

Cheers
                          Last edited by jim_mex; 07-26-2020, 04:28 PM.
                          Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• daveswoodworking
                            Reply to Hurricane winds hit Iowa
                            by daveswoodworking
                            My poor garden and wishing well and 3-d eagle...
                            Yesterday, 11:07 PM
                          • daveswoodworking
                            Hurricane winds hit Iowa
                            by daveswoodworking
                            We had over 100 mph winds that hit my town and several towns and counties in Iowa a lot of people with out power I just got our power back tonight their a lot of damage through out town and lot of power line down too lots of roof gone corn lying flat their a sample of the damage the town park got heavily...
                            Yesterday, 10:52 PM
                          • Linda In Phoenix
                            Reply to Cancelled
                            by Linda In Phoenix
                            I'm in the same boat. I get most of my sales surrounding demonstrations I do at the fairs. They've been cancelled. I do have a couple of orders from repeat customers, but that's all. Kind of a let down emotionally. My new toy money is on hold. Boooooo....
                            Yesterday, 09:52 PM
                          • Dan A
                            Reply to Pegas saw has arrived
                            by Dan A
                            I like that PDF. This is something that Denny brought up on the phone last Friday as well. I told Denny that afternoon that the set screws would be something that I would not have thought of. We also talked about tightening the blade to much. I seem to have the tendency to over tighten the bottom clamp....
                            Yesterday, 08:20 PM
                          • jim_mex
                            Reply to Coincidences and obsidian
                            by jim_mex
                            Hi guys - today I obtained a little more info of the obsidian crafter I am soon to meet. His name his Juan Castelan Mata. In 1987 he was selected by a local comissionary (foundation) to learn the craft of modelling and sculpting obsidian. After learning the basics of working with this stone he set up...
                            Yesterday, 06:56 PM
                          Working...
                          X