My home value just jumped. How the world changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My home value just jumped. How the world changes

A new build around the corner on .47 acre is in contract for 1.295 million. Our village has a dividing road, south of the road are the million dollar homes North is where the rest of us "normal folks live". The average price on my side is now between 400 and 550K. South is 1.2 to 5 million. It is absolutely nuts. We have all of these folks trying to escape Manhattan. I just hope they don't try to change our community into another Hamptons.
    Some of these homes are only used in the summer
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Just wait to they reassess your house because of that and they double or triple your taxes. Another reason I am happy to be a former New Yorker.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Congrats....when you sell your house. I too hope your property taxes don't climb too much because of it. That's what kills us here.
      Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Scott,

Not all of New York Real Estate tax reassessments work that way. We went through a reassessment about 7 or 8 years ago. After the reassessment was completed I received a notice with the new numbers that I had to sign for it's accuracy and or make necessary corrections. They had me with a shed and unfinished basement which was incorrect. I have a 30' by 40' garage that has an attic that cannot reach the ridge beam without a ladder and the house has a finished walkout basement. I returned the document with the corrections and patiently waited for the bad news.

When we got the tax bill arrived with the new property evaluation, it made a difference of + $20.00 per year in our taxes.
        cwmagee
        aka Fibber
        Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

The taxes vary by school district, no rhyme or reason some of the most expensive areas have the lowest while the less fortunate pay the most.?
          We pay county and village tax. Unless I do a major renovation that changes the footprint of the house I will probably not be audited. My annual taxes are about a third of what it would cost us to rent something of this size, and I would not have a workshop.
          We will be here for the duration so selling is not a concern. Our tax bill is less than $800 a month. A house down on the bay 3/4 of a mile away is around 60,000 a year.
          Rolf

Comment

Oh my gosh. I knew our cost of living in Arizona was a heck of a lot less then New York....but that's not even in the same comparison. No wonder we get so many people retire out here. Their dollars go quite a bit further here. Our property taxes here are so much less that. We bought our 2,400 square foot house on a tiny lot in 2004 during the big "bubble" at $385,000. For tax purposes the state currently has a value on it (finally back up to) $340,000 after many years of playing bubble burst catch up on values. Anyway, our taxes this year were only $2,700 for the entire year. However, disputing incorrect things here or comps they used that aren't even similar are never even considered. They have an appeal process but I've yet to know anyone (including me) successful in getting one thru, even with indisputable proof. So I like you review system far more!

Comment

We bought our house in 1996 when the economy and housing market tanked,we bought our 1500 sq ft house on 1/3 of an acre for $135.
              Rolf

Comment

Sweet timing Rolf!

Comment

Wow, $800 per month for taxes!!!! I pay about a third of that and am on 2 accessory about 2200 square ft plus a large storage shed. Back lot line on a large park area.

But, I live in Indiana with relatively low taxes. We are having a large influx of folks escaping Illinois.

Comment

Quartz, that is fairly low for our area. We went to an estate sale (yard sale) yesterday. It is a mansion on the bay 9.5 acres, annual taxes 50,000+ a year. The house is on the market for 3.199M down from the original asking price of almost 8. some folk live in different worlds.
                    Ours life and world is much simpler, amen.
                    Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• daveswoodworking
                      Reply to Hurricane winds hit Iowa
                      by daveswoodworking
                      My poor garden and wishing well and 3-d eagle...
                      Yesterday, 11:07 PM
                    • daveswoodworking
                      Hurricane winds hit Iowa
                      by daveswoodworking
                      We had over 100 mph winds that hit my town and several towns and counties in Iowa a lot of people with out power I just got our power back tonight their a lot of damage through out town and lot of power line down too lots of roof gone corn lying flat their a sample of the damage the town park got heavily...
                      Yesterday, 10:52 PM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to Cancelled
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      I'm in the same boat. I get most of my sales surrounding demonstrations I do at the fairs. They've been cancelled. I do have a couple of orders from repeat customers, but that's all. Kind of a let down emotionally. My new toy money is on hold. Boooooo....
                      Yesterday, 09:52 PM
                    • Dan A
                      Reply to Pegas saw has arrived
                      by Dan A
                      I like that PDF. This is something that Denny brought up on the phone last Friday as well. I told Denny that afternoon that the set screws would be something that I would not have thought of. We also talked about tightening the blade to much. I seem to have the tendency to over tighten the bottom clamp....
                      Yesterday, 08:20 PM
                    • jim_mex
                      Reply to Coincidences and obsidian
                      by jim_mex
                      Hi guys - today I obtained a little more info of the obsidian crafter I am soon to meet. His name his Juan Castelan Mata. In 1987 he was selected by a local comissionary (foundation) to learn the craft of modelling and sculpting obsidian. After learning the basics of working with this stone he set up...
                      Yesterday, 06:56 PM
                    Working...
                    X