Earthquakes and strange midday sun in Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earthquakes and strange midday sun in Mexico

This morning we felt a mild tremor at home here in Pachuca, Central Mexico. After checking the news a 7.4 earthquake was reported near the west Pacific coastline in the state of Oaxaca.

Details are still coming in and apart from a tsunami alert for that part of the coast there is little indication if any damage was done.

Mexico City to the south of us felt much stronger tremors and again we are waiting to hear of any damages. Fingers crossed all is well.

Whether a coincidence or not I walked out into our back carden exactly at midday to see another natural phenomenon I haven't seen before, namely a rainbow halo around the sun.

Getting a photo of the sun at midday when it is overhead and shining its brightest at Midsummer is something I have never tried to take before but I had to have a go

With a bit of post photo processing this is what I ended up with.

Kinda reminds me of The Alan Parsons Project' hit from days of my youth.
    sun2.jpg
    Last edited by jim_mex; 06-23-2020, 01:32 PM. Reason: uploaded incorrect image
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

And an hour later, after a nice sunny morning, the forecasted thunderstorm rolled in
    Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

The ring might be the result of this extreme dust cloud that is coming this weekend.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I’ve noticed that reign once or twice when I was in Texas visiting my daughter in the summer. Has something to do with the moon I think that’s what I heard.
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Today the Mexican internet is rife with folks asking what was causing this effect which is known as a sun halo. The explanation given by the meteorologists is that this effect occurs when there is a band of fine ice crystals in wispy high altititude cirrus or cirrostratus clouds.

Light from the sun is refracted at 22 degrees through the hexagonal shaped ice crystals resulting in this effect. The slight rainbow coloration is formed in a similar way to white light being split into colors when it passes through a triangular prism.

Now aren't you glad you now know this?

I am!

Btw Scott - my Mexican SIL was chatting with a friend yesterday who lives in the southern Mexican Yucatan Peninsula. She was saying that they are experiencing the fine red dust in the air which you mentioned which has blown in from the Sahara.

Strange days indeed!
          Last edited by jim_mex; 06-24-2020, 03:44 PM.
          Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Cool picture of the sun.

I had to think for a moment, but I am thinking...Eye in the Sky.

By the way Alan Parsons is my favorite band. I had most of the albums in college, then got a few in CDs.

Karl
            Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

Hi Karl - You got it! 'Eye in the Sky' from the album of the same name , produced in 1982, was one of my favorite songs of that time and very popular in the UK and also gets played very frequently nowadays on one of the English rock radio channels here in Mexico .

I have that album plus 'I Robot' and a double album of the groups greatest hits called 'The Ultimate Collection' plus somewhere I have a DVD of one of the groups concerts.

Alan Parsons was a musical genius and most folks who passed through his group went on to become rock stars in their own rights.

Cheers, you have good taste in music!!
              Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

One of my favorite songs is on the Eye in the Sky album: Old and Wise!

Another favorite is La Sagrada Familia of the Gaudi album.

Karl
                Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

Wasn't Alan Parsons the engineer on "Dark Side of the Moon"?
                  Jim
                  When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                  Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Yes Jim, he produced DSOTM and also for the The Beatles on the Abbey Road and Let It Be albums. Later he launched The Alan Parsons Project. He is recognized as one of the great composer, musician and music producers of his era and is still going strong.
                    Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

That picture reminds me of occasional pictures featured in the APOD - Astronomy Picture of the day.
                      https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html
                      Hank Lee
                      Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• handibunny
                        Reply to Latest Project
                        by handibunny
                        I hope they appreciated the love and care that went into your beautiful work!
                        Today, 07:47 PM
                      • NC Scroller
                        Reply to Latest Project
                        by NC Scroller
                        A piece to be cherished.
                        Today, 02:06 PM
                      • meflick
                        Reply to Latest Project
                        by meflick
                        Beautiful piece Fibber and something that will long be treasured. Congratulations to them on 25 years. Hubby and I celebrated 35 last week. We got a new drill press. 😉☺️ (My idea.)...
                        Today, 01:48 PM
                      • cwmagee
                        Latest Project
                        by cwmagee
                        My daughter and son-in-law celebrated their 25th Anniversary in June. Since they have the means to acquire anything that they want, I had to find something that was unique. I decided on the Full Moon Night Light by Deb Nicholson feature in Issue #60. Due the Covid19, I finally got an opportunity to...
                        Today, 01:18 PM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to Did you know..
                        by will8989
                        Almost over this itchy problem. Just some on my left arm and leg. Caladryl was my friend. I would just dump some on and smear around! Down to my regular daily allergy pill but that helped a lot also. Did have to change my follow up appointment with the eye doctor until middle of August.
                        Today, 11:08 AM
                      Working...
                      X