Supposedly experienced scrollsawer needs help? - you gotta laugh at this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supposedly experienced scrollsawer needs help? - you gotta laugh at this

I've almost recovered from my latest accident so after taking my stitches out this morning from the rapidly healing gash in my left forearm I was eager to try a little scrollsaw cutting.

I commenced to set the saw up for some intricate work with a fine ultrareverse blade...

I drilled a pilot hole in a piece of 5/8" thick wood as an entry point for the blade to cut a small. circle about 1/2" diam.
    I carefully clamped the blade into the lower clamp.
    I threaded the blade through the pilot hole - a bit of a challenge being one eyed!
    I secured the upper part of the blade in the top clamp and set the tension taking care not to snap the blade.
    I firmly pressed the wood against the scrollsaw table, took a deep breath and switched on the saw
    A few seconds later I switched off the saw.
    Arghhh!

It helps if the teeth of the blade are pointing forwards in the direction of the cut instead of backwards!!

ROFL.gif
    Who else is brave enough to share their stupidity moments? Do tell !
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

YOUR NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT DID THAT. How about upside down,?

Comment

How about upside down,?
      The crazy thing is that I had to search for a magnifying glass to check that that I wasn't putting it in upside down but I still managed to put it in reverse.
      My only lame excuse is that the labelling fooled me, After all, I was using a Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse #1 blade - LOL!
      Last edited by jim_mex; 06-18-2020, 02:12 PM.
      Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

I could not possibly comment. We all do such things it is just that you have the courage to own up to it.I am also pleased to see that there was no blood involved this time ....
        Last edited by Hobbyhorse; 06-18-2020, 02:50 PM.

Comment

I had a similar yet different problem last week in using a FD Jewelers blade size 3/0. Got one end of the blade in right, but somehow twisted the blade slightly when clamping the other end so that it was clamped the opposite way. Maybe that's how they invented spiral blades?
          Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Hi Rhys - yep, no blood this time but a still few choice swear words!
            Btw , its not that I have the courage to post these things. I just find my innocent non-destructive 'faux pas'es' amusing and by sharing them hope to bring a smile to others

Hi Linda - you could be on to something with the spiral blade or maybe you could market a 1/4 turn spiral blade
            Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

too funny!!!
              Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Maybe the blade was correct and you were feeding the wood in the wrong direction?

The FD-UR are supposed to have a crimp at the top, unless those blades are vintage. I sometimes use the 45x lens on my pocket magnifier just to be sure. Works pretty good!
                Last edited by handibunny; 06-18-2020, 05:38 PM.
                Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Maybe the blade was correct and you were feeding the wood in the wrong direction?
                  Hey Carole - can't agree with that supposition. I'm regularly identified as someone who is not backwards in coming forwards!

As to the crimped end of the blade. I've got a mixed stock of blades that date back well over 10 years and somewhere along the line when I was working in Italy I bought a bunch direct from the supplier in German and they were crimped on the opposite end to those sourced in the US. Naturally I mixed the two by blade number and not by country of origin - duh!

For the moment, to help out, I've stolen a small magnifier from Norma that she uses for cross-stitch work. So long as I replace it before she finds it is missing I'm safe!
                  Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

We all do it. Only the brave will admit it. ๐Ÿ˜
                    Scott
                    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Originally posted by Linda In Phoenix View Post
                      I had a similar yet different problem last week in using a FD Jewelers blade size 3/0. Got one end of the blade in right, but somehow twisted the blade slightly when clamping the other end so that it was clamped the opposite way. Maybe that's how they invented spiral blades?
                      Wow, your in my size blades now, what are you cutting with these?
                      "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Just donโ€™t put Spiral Blades in backwards
                        Denny
                        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Not Scrollsaw, but Jigsaw experience: I am enjoying the new cordless tools and have been using some cordless since the late '80s with the Makita drill. I have numerous Ryobi 18V Lithium tools. About 3 years ago, I bought a Ryobi 18V cordless jig saw. I have a Bosch corded and it is sweet in cutting. At the time of purchasing the Ryobi, I picked up some fine blades. Upon using it, the Ryobi bounced all over the place. It cut, but it bounced, it was not even in the same ball park as the Bosch. Over the next 2 years, I only used it as a last resort in places where it was needed and extension cords could not reach.

Then one day, I really needed it and I contemplated "Do I use 100 ft of extension cord or use the bouncing jig saw?" Then I thought, "Well it is only a couple of cuts, so use it. But Put a new blade in!"

Then I saw it: The blade was an DownCut blade. Never heard of those, but I had one. They cut on the downward side, pushing the jigsaw upward. They are made for counters and places where up cutting will splinter the top. Requires heavy grip.

I posted that information on the woodworking forum about a year ago, and recently I got a note from someone else who googled "Why does my new jigsaw bounce so much?" She had the same problem. Down cutting blade! She thanked me for posting it.

Now I LOOK at the blades!
                          Hank Lee
                          Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

You merely set your blade for the highly specialized "pull" cutting.
                            Works extremely well when the pattern is on the underside and you are cutting by the light of a waxing moon on the fifth Friday of the month.
                            Jim
                            When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                            Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Upside down. Dd it this morning. I realized it when I saw the ragged edge of the pattern on the top.
                              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• handibunny
                                Reply to Latest Project
                                by handibunny
                                I hope they appreciated the love and care that went into your beautiful work!
                                Today, 07:47 PM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Latest Project
                                by NC Scroller
                                A piece to be cherished.
                                Today, 02:06 PM
                              • meflick
                                Reply to Latest Project
                                by meflick
                                Beautiful piece Fibber and something that will long be treasured. Congratulations to them on 25 years. Hubby and I celebrated 35 last week. We got a new drill press. ๐Ÿ˜‰โ˜บ๏ธ (My idea.)...
                                Today, 01:48 PM
                              • cwmagee
                                Latest Project
                                by cwmagee
                                My daughter and son-in-law celebrated their 25th Anniversary in June. Since they have the means to acquire anything that they want, I had to find something that was unique. I decided on the Full Moon Night Light by Deb Nicholson feature in Issue #60. Due the Covid19, I finally got an opportunity to...
                                Today, 01:18 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Did you know..
                                by will8989
                                Almost over this itchy problem. Just some on my left arm and leg. Caladryl was my friend. I would just dump some on and smear around! Down to my regular daily allergy pill but that helped a lot also. Did have to change my follow up appointment with the eye doctor until middle of August.
                                Today, 11:08 AM
                              Working...
                              X