Camera Obscura

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera Obscura

Herewith a Camera Obscura which has been modelled on the one owned by Thomas Jefferson.The image is projected onto the ground glass screen having been reflected upwards by a 45 degree mirror. This turns the image the right way up but it is still the wrong way around .... you cannot have everything!!
    Built from Oak, stained with dark oak stain and lacquered.

That is amazing. Museum quality.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Your variety of projects never cease to amaze me.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Wow, again amazing.
        Denny
        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Wonderful how this turned out Rhys and I am in awe at how you come up with these projects without having fully detailed descriptions of how to make them. Great craftspersonship as usual.

Congrats mate!
          Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
          - Albert Einstein

Comment

Beautiful work. Does it have an actual lens?
            Jim
            When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
            Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Thanks all for your comments, they are much appreciated.

Jim Mc, yes it does have a lens which I obtained from an educational supplier and is obviously not of high quality, but it does work. The lens has a 300mm focal length and the youtube info I found showed that the 300 was measured from the lens to the centre of the 45 degree mirror inside ..... wrong!! In fact the 300 should have included the distance from the lens to the mirror centre plus the vertical distance to the underside of the ground glass screen. The whole thing was 80mm too long.

I overcame the distance problem by making the lens tube reversible thus with the lens inside it will focus up to infinity but in the outer position it will focus down to 2 metres ....

Comment

Just a thought:
                The sourcing of 3mm ground glass for the screen was difficult and I finally had to make my own which turned out to be very simple. Using a piece of glass about 70mm square with a wooden block stuck to it as a "sanding block, I ground the surface with 600 grit carborundum powder and water. I could have used valve grinding paste.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                  Reply to Broken Excalibur, question.
                  by cwmagee
                  Since I have only replaced the blade holders and the rocker arms that the the blade holder attaches to and I do not recognize the parts, I suspect that they may be a part of the drive linkage inside the upper or lower arm. I know that this may not be much help.
                  Today, 11:57 AM
                • keystonecop
                  Reply to I would like your help
                  by keystonecop
                  The 1/4 is solid.. at least this time I will know that it is not all me and can blame part of it on the wood.. My go to wood is cherry and black walnut. a few weeks ago I cut a piece in 3/4 red oak and snapped a piece.....
                  Today, 10:25 AM
                • NC Scroller
                  Reply to Broken Excalibur, question.
                  by NC Scroller
                  I have had no issues with my EX-21 and it has lots of hours on it. Can you me a better idea what I am looking at?
                  Today, 10:09 AM
                • Rolf
                  Broken Excalibur, question.
                  by Rolf
                  I had a call from a friend and it appears a part broke on her EX-21 She will be getting the part from Ray and I will probably install it for her. Not having had my EX saw apart I am curious if any of you have replaced this part. I seem to remember it being a fairly common failure.
                  Today, 09:38 AM
                • Rolf
                  Reply to Nova drill press
                  by Rolf
                  Quartz you are absolutely Correct! I modified my post....
                  Today, 09:28 AM
                Working...
                X