Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid is as stupid does! - out of action due to shop accident!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid is as stupid does! - out of action due to shop accident!

Well, I'm definitely feeling older but not wiser today! Having finally gotten back to scrolling recently after a long absence I just knocked myself out of action for the next fortnight due to plain carelessness.

I spent the last couple of days on some metalwork cutting and welding a ramp in preparation for delivery of my new motorbike. I did a decent job so this morning I decided to continue with some metalwork to reduce the length of a metal table structure I use outdoors to cut wooden panels on. Its about 8 ft long and I wanted to reduce it to 5ft. This involved cutting through 6 lengths of 1 1/2" x 1/8"thick angle iron. Armed with my mini angle grinder and a new 4 1/2" diam. thin cutting disc I set to work wearing goggles and thick gloves. In hindsight Kevlar gauntlets would have been a better option!

On the very last cut I foolishly had placed my left forearm about a foot in front of the grinder to steady the piece of angle iron I was cutting when the disc jumped out of the cut and ran across the fleshy part of my forearm about 3" above my wrist. With blood flowing all around I quickly applied at tourniquet just below my elbow and got Norma to stick some duct tape across the gash whilst I held it as tightly closed together as I could. After a very quick ride to a local private hospital about 5 mins from home I was diagnosed with a 2" transversal gash, deep in the middle, but luckily a clean cut which had had missed arteries, tendons and muscle. After cleaning the wound up the doc closed it with 5 stitches which need to remain for the next 10 - 14 days.

After a couple of hours sleep once I got home I now have a gently throbbing arm to remind me of how stupid I was to place my forearm in front of the grinder. I doubt I've ever done this before and I am pretty sure I won't ever do it again! Hard lessons!

So, no scrolling work for at least a week and, because of the antibiotics I am taking, my daily shot of tequila in the evenings is banned. Additionally, if my bike finally does get delivered within the next few days I very much doubt I'll be riding it for a while!

Bhwaaa, bhwaaa!

Message to myself
    Stay safe you stupid old bugger!
    Last edited by jim_mex; 06-06-2020, 09:51 PM.
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

When I use my grinder tomorrow, I’m sure I’ll have a picture of that in my mind. Cutting the wood, if it gets caught in a knot it seems to pull away. I won’t try cutting any metal after reading this.
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Always have to be thinking about safety. Sorry about the accident. Bet it hurts more before it hurts less.
      "Time to Give Back"

Comment

Well this was certainly unexpected! So sorry for the latest insult to your well-being, but glad that it was “merely a flesh wound” which will heal in time. Maybe you can find something safe and sedentary for the next few weeks to keep you out of trouble? (Not likely, but I thought I’d say it anyway!)
        Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Sorry about your accident, please be careful we NEED you around for a while.

Comment

Hi folks - sitting here in front of my desktop with a gel ice pack wrapped around my forearm which is doing a great job of relieving the throbbing. Still cursing myself for allowing an absolutely needless accident to happen!

Thanks for the well wishes and I hope my post will serve as a reminder to others that whilst we all think we know what we are doing we can still have that stupid moment that can screw us up. As Wayne correctly put it, we always have to be thinking of safety.

A shoutout to Carole regarding her wish that I spend some time sendentary and out of trouble. I really appreciate the wish Carole but can't guarantee this will happen - you know me well enough by now! One good piece of news though is that since it's my left arm that is injured and being right handed I can at least work on my computer on some pattern designs so I am going to amuse myself over the next few days coming up with a suitable pattern for my upcoming 'Lem Putt privy' tribute project. Maybe there was a method behind today's madness after all - LOL!

Stay safe folks and thanks again
            Last edited by jim_mex; 06-06-2020, 09:53 PM.
            Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Cutting your wrist has to be a last resort Jim .... glad to hear it just a flesh wound ......ouch!!

Comment

Ouch!!!! Accidents are never planned nor good but thankfully you will fully recover. Be safe and follow doctor's orders. Especially from Dr Norma.
                Scott
                Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

OH MY ! No need for me to lecture you. You are doing enough of that yourself. What bike did you order?
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Jim,

You certainly lead an eventful interesting life, Hopefully you will not be on the sideline toooo......... long
                    cwmagee
                    aka Fibber
                    Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

Well, I inspected and cleaned the wound up this morning and the only good side about this accident is that I couldn't have made a neater cut if I had tried and it should heal pretty nicely. Glad I wasn't using the chop saw!

Maybe this could qualify for the nicest looking accident that forum members have had - LOL!

cut.jpg

Rolf - I bought a Honda NC750x DCT ABS bike. An ideal bike for Mexican roads. Also very economical - around 65 - 70 mpg on regular fuel and easy to maintain and very good for long distance touring since it will handle gravel and dirt roads with the right tires fitted. Also has an automatic dual variable clutch system which makes stop/start riding in slow traffic a breeze. Also looks nice

honda.jpg

Not sure what to do with my BMW f800r which is still up in Simi Valley, CA. Its a 2011 model with only 8500 miles on the clock and in excellent condition. Thinking of importing it back into Mexico and taking a ride from Tijuana down to La Paz, Baja California, before taking the ferry across to Mazatlan and then trecking overland to home north of Mexico City - about 2100 miles. Will then maybe sell it here in Mexico at my leisure.
                      Last edited by jim_mex; 06-07-2020, 09:57 AM.
                      Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Ya know Jim, I can just imagine that had you managed to sever your hand, you could've gone with a prosthetic hook. Paired with the eye patch, you would have a really authentic pirate look.

Seriously, I'm glad you didn't get hurt worse. However, that bike looks like it could do some serious damage. 🤨
                        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

that bike looks like it could do some serious damage
                          Thanks Bill - the accident was a close call and if my forearm had been twisted a little more around it could have been really nasty. I still can't stop thinking about how stupid I was - and yep, the pìrate look could have turned out to be fashionable. As for the bike, I'm sure that it will be fine but I'm making no promises for the rider!

Seriously though, my days of tearing up the asphalt are long gone, if fact I've never really been that sort of rider, even in my youth. I am just wanting something that will take me to interesting and out of the way places at a leisurely pace but with enough power to get me out of trouble when I need it. Add to that a strong 'boys and toys' conviction which hasn't diminished with age - LOL!
                          Last edited by jim_mex; 06-08-2020, 01:05 PM.
                          Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Jim

So glad it wasn't anything more serious. Hope it is a short healing process.

Dan

Comment

The scar looks good, considering how you did it. The fact that it did not get infected is a blessing.
                              When I compare the new bikes to the 1966 Triumph in my garage, the difference in balance, braking and performance are amazing.
                              The Triumph has been in boxes for 30+ years waiting for my TLC.
                              Rolf
                              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• handibunny
                                Reply to Latest Project
                                by handibunny
                                I hope they appreciated the love and care that went into your beautiful work!
                                Today, 07:47 PM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Latest Project
                                by NC Scroller
                                A piece to be cherished.
                                Today, 02:06 PM
                              • meflick
                                Reply to Latest Project
                                by meflick
                                Beautiful piece Fibber and something that will long be treasured. Congratulations to them on 25 years. Hubby and I celebrated 35 last week. We got a new drill press. 😉☺️ (My idea.)...
                                Today, 01:48 PM
                              • cwmagee
                                Latest Project
                                by cwmagee
                                My daughter and son-in-law celebrated their 25th Anniversary in June. Since they have the means to acquire anything that they want, I had to find something that was unique. I decided on the Full Moon Night Light by Deb Nicholson feature in Issue #60. Due the Covid19, I finally got an opportunity to...
                                Today, 01:18 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Did you know..
                                by will8989
                                Almost over this itchy problem. Just some on my left arm and leg. Caladryl was my friend. I would just dump some on and smear around! Down to my regular daily allergy pill but that helped a lot also. Did have to change my follow up appointment with the eye doctor until middle of August.
                                Today, 11:08 AM
                              Working...
                              X