How have the mighty fallen!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How have the mighty fallen!

I maybe should have titled this post 'how the overweight old fart has fallen' !

This morning I awoke with flash of inspiration to tackle my juggling clown WIP project I recently posted in the Intarsia and Segmentation' forum section.

So there I was, full of enthusiasm and overbrimming with creativity, sitting on my wooden high stool which I use when scrolling, concentrating on cutting yet another circle blank when whoomp! the stool completely fell apart depositing me on the floor. 😡

How in my overly cramped workspace I managed to not hit anything on the way down was a minor miracle, nor did I land on top of a couple of viscous looking screws protruding from underneath the stool seat. I didn't even ruin the blank I was cutting! The Gods must have been smiling down on me

Going forward I am definitely going to wear my N95 anti Covid-19 face mask all the time at home when I am not sleeping, not as a safeguard against this virus but as an attempt to stop me continually eating whilst I am housebound in an honest attempt to lose some weight! The jury is out on whether this will work...

The evidence...

stool.jpg

Disclaimer - I didn't make this stool. I bought it from a garage sale about 10 years ago when I was about 20 lbs lighter in weight!!!

Anyone else had any amusing mishaps in your workshops that you are not too embarassed to share?

Jim
    Last edited by jim_mex; 05-23-2020, 12:46 PM.
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Titlebond and a few screws, and you will be back in business.
    "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

That will buff out!
      Jim
      When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
      Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Obviously, a glue failure and not your fault.

Comment

Oh well!!!!

Comment

Thank goodness for your graceful and safe de-throning! Time for maintenance.
            Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

I woke up this morning with a twinge in my back as a reminder of yesterday's mishap. Nothing too serious and an application of lidocaine balm seems to have dulled the pain.

Although the joints in this stool are in terrible condition - much like mine - LOL! - I'm going to patch it up until I get permission from Norma to escape self isolation and hit the stores and maybe buy a stout metallic stool instead of a wooden one.

All good fun!

Cheers!
              Last edited by jim_mex; 05-25-2020, 07:50 AM. Reason: typos
              Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Jim tell the truth. Is this the only bar stool you fell off of...... 😜😜😜
                Scott
                Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Is this the only bar stool you fell off of.
                  Scott - I can't lie! I admit that I can recall many, many, years ago sliding off of a bar stool after dozing off after drinking too many beers at a really exhuberant stag party at a local pub back in the UK.

Some folks get violent or act plain stupid after drinking an excessive amount of alcohol. In those days my reaction was simply to fall to sleep - LOL!

These days my preference for alcohol is more towards the rubbing variety to relieve aching joints and muscles brought on by increasing years!
                  Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

You are lucky you weren't hurt. If that would have happened to me, I would have somehow managed to fall into a running table saw and land on a bed of utility knives, with the blades exposed.

If you're going to repair that stool, and then trust it not to collapse on you again, may I suggest epoxy instead of wood glue?
                    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

You are lucky you weren't hurt.
                      Too true Bill - This mishap was akin to falling into a pile of cow dung and coming out smelling of roses!

So, after contemplating the alternatives to do something about this stool I've decided that as soon as I can free myself from lockdown I am going to go out and buy a new one. Nevertheless I had to take some remedial action so that I could use my saw which is on a mobile stand designed to be the exact height to ergonically suit this stool.

After gluing all the pieces back together I glued and screwed some scrap 3/4" thick MDF bracing panels on 2 opposing sides and then screwed the top back on to them and the original wood braces. I also corrected a probable reason why this stool failed over the years - apart from my excess weight! The feet were not sitting firmly on the floor and had a tendency to rock whilst I was working on the stool. After placing the stool on a level piece of floor I remarked the base of the legs and cut them all so they would sit correctly. The stool is now rock solid and worthy of my weight.

This end result definitely does not look pretty but for the moment I'm more concerned with its functionality, not the aesthetics. If anyone happens to see this stool before I replace it and they ask about its fabrication I plan to tell them that my FIL gave it to me Everyone knows his woodworking capabilities are limited to using a crosscut saw like a machete and will fully understand and believe me.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions folks

stool 3.jpg
                      Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X