Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got back on my scrollsaw after 7 years and cut an almost perfect circle - Whoopee!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got back on my scrollsaw after 7 years and cut an almost perfect circle - Whoopee!

After losing my left eye last year I've been somewhat concerned about whether I would have the ability to accurately follow pattern lines when scrolling. I've mentioned in other posts that since becoming 'Cyclopian' my depth of vision, partically when judging the proximity of one object to another when they are both fairly close to me, is a challenge. The classic example of this is when pouring a glass of orange juice from a jug I've occasionally succeeded in drowning the table after missing the glass completely! So, with this in mind, plus the fact I haven't touched my scrollsaw for around 7 years, I've recently been sort of subconsciously hesistant to get back to scrolling.

This morning I forced myself to face reality and break the ice. I needed to cut some 3" diam. x 1" thick circular blanks for a project I'm working on so after finding a suitable piece of wood - not sure what it is but its fairly smooth grained and a little harder than pine - I marked out some circles, bit the bullet and started cutting.

It was a challenge!! It took me maybe 3 or 4 times longer than I previously would have needed to cut the circle and my concentration level to stay on the line was intense, but I managed it.

I strayed a little coming to the end of the cut after losing a little concentration whilst congratulating myself that I was almost to the end! Fortunately I erred to the waste side of the line which won't present a problem.

I admit to cheating a little in that I used the thickest saw blade I could find - a Flying Dutchman #2 - thinking, with good reason, that it would be less likely to bend and drift sideways.

So, although this might not be seem like a major issue for most of you fellow scrollers I'm over the moon that I got over my uncertainity and am able to return to scrolling. Whoopee!

4 more blanks to go and I can get back to my unfinished project.

Here is the evidence and let me finish with a shout out to cwmagee for his encouragement when I first raised my concerns regarding this issue.

circle.jpg
    Last edited by jim_mex; 05-17-2020, 12:43 PM.
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Welcome back, that is a better job cutting then I can do with two eyes, Thanks for sharing

Comment

Muy bueno. Well done. You still got it.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Jim, I am pleased that my comments were a positive influence. Keep up the good work,

I fully understand your apprehension with the Depth of Perception concerns. Back in 2010 after I lost the sight in my left eye (Detached retina), I too had similar concerns, I was deathly a scared of working with the Table Saw. I since have gotten over the fears.

The one thing I still have problems is parking the car in a parking lot or garage. Frequently my wife has to get out and tell me where to go, (I mean how much further I can go).
        Last edited by cwmagee; 05-18-2020, 08:46 AM.
        cwmagee
        aka Fibber
        Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

I have a devil of a time cutting any kind of arc. Congrats on the circle. You will ALWAYS be your worst critic.
          Jim
          When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
          Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Way to go Jim. Looks like you won't have any problems getting back into the hobby. I have a puckered macula in my right eye so any vertical straight line had a curve to the left in the middle of it. I am surprised that it has not bothered me more. If I do wonder if I am on the line, I stop and close my right eye, do a reality check, and continue. Sounds like quite an assortment of medical issues with this group.
            "Time to Give Back"

Comment

Congratulations Jim. I am scrolling on and off for 12 years now and I still can't scroll a straight line, let alone a circle.

Comment

Hey guys - I wasn't sure at first whether to post this topic but those of you that know me pretty well know that I tend to open my soul more than a little on this forum mainly to share my optimistic outlook and show that challenges are there to go for and try to overcome whether in scrolling or in life. As I noted, today was a win for me and one I felt like sharing.

As Wayne commented, there are a number of members on this board with various medical issues and its my belief that sometimes sharing them with fellow scrollers can maybe help relieve a little bit of personal tension or worry or generate a response which can be of help.

This particular issue of mine I don't see it as being a big deal and I tend to treat it with a good dollop of humor - usually pretty dark - so if anyone ever uses the excuse that because they got speck of sawdust in one of their eyes they made a mistake when cutting a pattern I have my answer ready for them!

The one thing I still have problems is parking the car in a parking lot or garage.
                cw - I struggle to drive our SUV into our exceedingly narrow drive entrance as I can't easily judge where the gate posts are without contorsioning my whole body from left to right to effectively see where I am. Reversing it out again is almost impossible!! This is my excuse when my wife leaves the vehicle out on the street and someone has to go out at night to park it, and I'm not about to change this! And yes, when I remind Norma that the vehicle needs parking she usually tells me where to go - LOL!

Cheers and thanks for the comments

Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

As some of the others have said, your circle looks better than most I have seen. Since we all are getting a bit more "geriatric" every day Our detailed work will become more challenging. These days mine seems to be finding stuff that had just been in my hands a few seconds earlier.
                  Regarding parking, I would be lost without my rear view camera and sensors.
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Judging by that circle, you have nothing to worry about, Jim. I dare say that's better than I could cut it, no joke.

Hmmmm, maybe I should try an eye patch.
                    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Rolf - I definitely empathize with you on misplacing things that you have just been using but in my case its not just being somewhat geriatric. I've been doing this for years - LOL!

Hey Bill - with your scrolling skills I suggest you make a nice hardwood eyepatch and maybe inlay the iris and pupil! Ok thats a joke but it was actually something I thought about doing just to have share a novelty piece of the forum and it may still happen

Thanks guys
                      Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

I can’t believe it has been 7 years. It seems like yesterday that we had the intarsia challenge. Great job cutting that circle. Your precision is still there.
                        Denny
                        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

I find having a good sidelight casting a shadow of the blade gives me a good reference for where the blade actually is.
                          https://www.etsy.com/shop/BeasleyTurnings
                          Stabilized blanks and more

Comment

Jim,

I'll not only give you a thumbs up on the cutting, but like we did in High School, you get a big "Atta Boy"

Dan

Comment

I find having a good sidelight casting a shadow of the blade gives me a good reference for where the blade actually is.
                              Hi Gary - this is a tip I've seen before and I agree that it does help.

Although I didn't use it for this test cut these are my techniques for accurate scrolling which I gleaned from this forum years ago,

1) Apply scotch tape over the wood and glue the pattern on top of it with spray on adhesive. The scotch tape lubricates the blade slightly and makes it easier to cutplus it reduces the chance of overheating and dulling the blade and burning the wood

2) If you have access to a color printer print the pattern to be cut in red ink. When you are cutting this helps tremendously in seeing exactly where the balde is in relation to thepattern line.

3) Most important - hold the piece of wood firmly pressing down on it so that it is in strong contact with the saw table and less liable to slide as you are cutting and moving the wood, concentrate on what you are doing and go slowly until you know for certain that you have developed sufficient expertise to cut more quickly.

Maybe close one eye!

Cheers

Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X