What are you doing to stay sane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you doing to stay sane?

You can only scrollsaw a limited hours a day, for me about 3-4 most days. What about the rest of the time? I'm trying to get walks in everyday that it doesn't rain. Bruce goes for a walk rain, snow, sun, anything but heat. I think he's just staying away from me. I am cleaning my office, which is quite a chore that I lose interest in after about 30 minutes. STill working on the magazines. Going through my material stash, yes I have a stash of that as well as wood, for things to do. Making curtains for Elliott's room, buying more material for curtains for the office and bathroom. I know I said I have a stash, but not what I want. Put up a co detector upstairs after what happened at my niece's. After much discussion, it ended up at the end of the hallway between the framework of the two doors, right by our bedroom. Our bedroom is back further over the footer for the add on so it is not over the basement. You know, the footer Bruce cut in half while working on the bathroom that my brother in law had to replace so the back of the house didn't collapse. I want to make sure I can hear that if it ever, hopefully not, goes off. So that takes up about 5 hours of my day. The rest I just roll with the punches. I don't know if this is keeping me sane or not. Probably not but oh well!! Stay safe and stay away from people!!
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Just got a request for three pieces for one of Becky's coworkers. No money, but it will keep me doing something this weekend.
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

I had built several bowed stringed instruments but not built enough horsehair bows to have one for each one .... I have built three more and today will finish the horsehair installation on them.

Some months back I built a desk music stand and had always intended to mount it on a floor stand but had not got around to it .... my next job on the list.

As I mentioned in my post about the Citole I have pretty much all I need to start on it and I do have the time ..... probably lots of it.

We are in full lockdown mode here in New Zealand with the initial time period being one month but it could well be extended if the virus has not been contained sufficiently.

Stay safe everyone.

Comment

I was given a large box of 4x4 Corian tile samples, each with a small hole. I made up some patterns and am trying to make at least one per day. As you know, fretwork and cutting-intensive projects aren’t my thing, but boy, am I getting good! I also made a rubber band peg board for my youngest grandson, whom I will see, eventually. But I will need a bowl fix pretty soon!

Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

I normally spend 5-6 hours a day in my workshop and continue to do that. Making toys that we give to our local children's hospital and The Salvation Army. I mass produce about 2000 a year so this keeps me busy along with making boxes with inlay in the hinged lids that I sell at our local farmers market. Today I went to Sams club shopping and then worked in my vegetable garden a while. About 3-4 o'clock I sit here, watch TV, comment on Facebook, and in three forums like this one, and start drinking Gin. Life is good!
          Last edited by Jim Finn; 03-26-2020, 03:37 PM.
          Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
          "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Who said I was sane in the first place? I'm throwing myself more into piano practice and mastering my Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher software suite. When the weather warms up I intend to get back into scrollsawing.

I think I've got a skipping (jump?) rope in the dark recesses of a cupboard and I might have a go at that again to keep fit. I hope my wobbly bits can take the strain. Here in Blighty we're only allowed outside once a day for exercise and that includes dog walking. When you have elderly chihuahuas, it's not much exercise for the humans!
            There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
            (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

I'm trying out some new patterns. Will need to post some pictures soon. We watch a movie together and go for walks and bike rides. We have a three day game of Risk going right now too. Right now they are talking about us going back to school after Easter but who knows. I have two teenage sons and it's been kind of nice spending some time with them.
              Keith

Comment

With the social distance protocols we do get out for a walk everyday rain or shine but with no shopping or visits from the Grandkids = lots of shop time.
                I have been scrolling birdhouses for the local cancer suppport centre but as you say after a couple of hours scrolling I was looking for something else so I dusted off the lathe and made 3 wig stands for the same charity. Our club has donated over 500 in the last 5 years and there is a push for more right now as they don't want to recycle any.

Will do a some more when I figure out how to glue up some wood as I am all out of blanks.

Also, cut the pile of bears a little differently so the little bears are proud of rest.
                Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

Staying busy has never been an issue with me, my problem is a short attention span, Inherited from my Mom. Yesterday I changed a universal joint on my car, slowly going through it while it is apart waiting for it's rebuilt motor. The Car has 6 universal joints that have not been touched in 28 years.
                  I also made a few hardware kits for the gear clock, every time I think that I am done with that I get another order. So I got to play on the metal lathe. I do love my mechanical stuff.
                  I started making the next Gnome from Bruce's patterns. I made the first one in the series last year, I am doing segmentation and painting to keep the price reasonable. Pictures to follow. I also am doing a test cut for Sue Mey.

So yes I am busy. Gnome with details and color (Small).jpg This was last years Gnome.
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I finally got to get into my tiny crammed packed full workshop which I've rarely been in during the past 6 years. The clean out should easily surpass the obligatory time period recommended to stay at home. Yep, its that bad!
                    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                    - Albert Einstein

Comment

Even though ArtCrafters is closed, we go in and check for online orders. While here, I will work on a few scroll saw projects. Other than that, cleaning windows at home.
                      Denny
                      ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

The biggest thing I've got on the go is the refinishing of our dining room suite - nothing especially noteworthy about the set except that it is solid walnut - I'm sure the wood is worth more than the set - pretty much a typical farming family suite from the early 1900's that we picked up as used furniture at the very beginning of our marriage in 1973 - an "antique" (to us) at the time that has gained a lot of our own family scars in the close to 50 years since. So far the table is done - I'm embarrassed to say this but I used up my inventory of rattle cans to get it done - and no - I won't tell you how many cans that was - but enough cans for me to realize that this was not an economically sustainable endeavour ...... so ..... I purchased an HVLP sprayer that I'm currently struggling with - there is very definitely a learning curve that I have not yet mastered - today I just completed my 3rd coat of polyurethane on the first chair and am hoping that I might be getting close ..... no cigar yet though .....

A side project is a landscape plaque that I am thinking has the potential to be stunning - (as long as I don't screw it up) - so far the woods are Wenge, Australian Yellow Box burl and Panama Rosewood - there is another wood that is needed but I haven't landed on it yet ..... will keep you posted .... but don't hold your breath .....

My wife is completing a quilt for a yet-to-be born nephew of one of her sisters - another neat project - she's been a very traditional quilter for a long time - (thanks to an older friend and mentor of her's never took any shortcuts) ....

And for the kids - one son a fireman - daughter-in-law in the health care system and other son maintains solar power systems - all declared as essential workers - meaning we look after our granddaughter and also our grandogger on a regular basis .....these are (welcome) responsibilities that may change if things with this virus get worse - but that is the way it is for the moment.

Jay

Comment

Today we went Kinder Park for a walk. It’s 600 acres of open space that was donated to the county but had to remain open space. It was alot of cars there but with that much acreage we didn’t see too many people. This is part of the bamboo forest on the park. Those trees must 100’ tall. Bruce is going to get some, after he gets permission from the ranger, for wind chimes. This part of the fence posts that they cut at the sawmill for the farm. All and all good day.
                          Jay, my son is also a solar tech, the only one in his company and is quite busy.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by will8989; 03-28-2020, 12:12 PM.
                          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Rolf, was that in a magazine or did you have to order it?
                            Betty

Comment

Betty, if you mean the Gnomes, they are from Bruce Worthington there are three of them. The one with the tree is my favorite the other two are holding ornaments.
                              Rolf
                              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X