Laser Engraver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser Engraver

My first real use for this "toy" I engraved a the name of the painting in a piece of 1/8 thick maple. I burned the outline and cut it on the scroll saw. I thought about doing a bevel inlay but I needed it to be very small. The engraver was perfect for this project.
    I created the design in Corel draw, saved it as a JPG file and just dropped it into the laser control software. This is the end result. As close as I will come to laser cutting. laser engraved name plate (Large).jpg
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Cool toy and neat effect
    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Great use of yet another tool in Batman's utility belt.
      Jim
      When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
      Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Thanks for sharing

Comment

That looks really great.

I am curious, did you do the engraving on a large piece and then cut it out? Or, suppose you had stack cut that same size of "badge", how hard would it be to engrave several one at a time, getting them positioned I mean?
          Jim
          Texas - The Republic
          With the exception of hand guns and Tequila, computers have caused more problems than anything else

Comment

I did engrave that on a larger piece, the cut line was part of my design. The software that came with it has a pre-engraving routine that scans a box of where the actual burn will go. So it is real easy to move and align the piece.
            What I would do if I had multiples of the same pattern is make a simple locating jig to eliminate the fiddling.

I did have to repair the laser yesterday. it has a small cooling fan on top that never came on. I went on a forum for this device asking about that. They all said it comes on when the laser is powered. I took it apart and found a wire that was not soldered in place. My prior profession working on tiny stuff was very helpful. The fan blows down and moves the smoke away as it would eventually coat the lens.
            Rolf

Comment

Congrats on the new tool, Rolf.
              Denny
              ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Well done....Now don't go sell your saws and just do laser work.
                Scott
                Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Scott that will not happen. I really love the technology,playing with design etc. but nothing beats the the relaxation of cutting on the scroll saw or the challenge of precise cutting.

There have been projects with details too small for even my smallest blades. The engraver gives me the option of adding those.
                  I tried cutting through 1/16 BB the other day without success, It is supposed to be able to do that, the focus may not have been optimized.
                  Rolf

Comment

What laser engraver are you using?
                    Etsy Shop: OdinsToyFactory
                    Pinterest
                    Blogger
                    Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by BadBob View Post
                      What laser engraver are you using?
                      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza
                      "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

New laser (Large).jpg I wrote a bit about it with a picture in the "for your entertainment" thread.
                        It is a KKMOON Master 7000mw . basically it is a NEJE laser. And the 7 watt rating is it's power consumption NOT the power of the laser.
                        That said it does what I want, which was engrave not cut.
                        A Steve Good review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp8bL_62qQQ
                        Last edited by Rolf; 02-26-2020, 03:09 PM.
                        Rolf

Comment

Rolf, do you know if the engraver will work on acrylic...not cutting, just engraving. I have a job that requires some etching of of a school logo into clear acrylic, and I didn't know if a laser would melt the material too much. if so, I will send the job to someone who has a CNC.
                          As always, thanks for your help.
                          Rick
                          Just because the circus left town, doesn't mean the Monkey's off your back

Comment

From what I have read It will engrave colored acrylic but not clear the laser is the wrong wavelength. I have not played with any plastics. I need to build a small enclosure with smoke extraction.
                            The laser vaporizes the material not melt.
                            Rolf

Comment

Why didn't you go with the 15 Watt? Looks like the 15 watt at twice the power was about $10 more. The 20 watt was $50, which is a bigger jump.

I saw some reviews of the 20 watt where a few folks had lenses were problematic or loose, so was thinking those might have scared you off.
                              Last edited by hotshot; 02-28-2020, 09:38 PM.
                              "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X