Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will8989
    replied
    Lol. They don’t have calculators in 1st grade - yet.

Leave a comment:

• leehljp
    replied
    When we were in Japan, my oldest daughter called us (she was/is in Arkansas). Our oldest grandson was 6 and he got on the phone to talk to pappaw. He asked "Pappaw, do you know what the square root of 35 is?"
    Me: "Don't you mean 36?"
    Him: "No, what is the square root of 35?"
    Me: "I don't know."
    Him: "5.9161"
    Me: "How in the world did you learn THAT?"
    Him:"Simple Pappaw. I did it on a calculator!"

I didn't know what square roots were until I was in the 6th grade!

Leave a comment:

• vgraf
    replied
    My grandson, now nine, was presented with the same 2-1 question in the second grade and responded with the same answer. the teacher paused for a few seconds and then said,"we will discuss negative another time Levi". Kids these days are amazing.
    We grandparents are often given opportunities to open doors to learning. So wonderful to be able to share time with them. Opportunities also to set examples for them.

Leave a comment:

• will8989
    replied
    Science Technology Engineering Art math.

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    STEAM? I have not heard that one. STEM yes.

Leave a comment:

• will8989
    replied
    Bruce went into his brother’s tonight and Elliott rode with him. They were playing a math game, asking each other simple problems, Elliott asked bruce what 1 minus 2 was. Bruce said you can’t do that. Of course Elliott said yes you can, it’s negative 1. We asked him what he did in STEM class today. He said they made whirligigs. What 6 year old says whirligigs? One grandson is in STEAM, a grandson and granddaughter are in STEM and the 6 year old marches to her own drummer.

Leave a comment:

• Jim McDonald
    replied
    Cooking is art--baking is science.

Leave a comment:

• will8989
    replied
    If they include it, he's all set! He has a play dough food cart and he always "makes" me delicious "foods". LOL He is transferring to another school next year due to them moving and they have a STEAM program there. Did I mention he sings too?
    Last edited by will8989; 01-29-2020, 08:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• leehljp
    replied
    Originally posted by handibunny View Post
    Love it, Betty! I think cooking should be included in in STEM classes for kids. So much mathematical conceptual material, and kids love to eat what they make. And he's right--cream cheese icing would probably be better!
    I never understood why cooking wasn't connected with chemistry, physics and algebra in school. That is what cooking IS.

Leave a comment:

• vgraf
    replied
    Lo......ve carrot cake! With cream cheese?? Sounds like a smart kid to me.

Leave a comment:

• NC Scroller
    replied
    Elliot is correct. It is like the old English Leather commercial "My man wears English Leather or nothing at all" Carrot cake demands cream cheese icing or nothing at all.

Leave a comment:

• handibunny
    replied
    Love it, Betty! I think cooking should be included in in STEM classes for kids. So much mathematical conceptual material, and kids love to eat what they make. And he's right--cream cheese icing would probably be better!

Leave a comment:

• will8989
    started a topic Conversation between Bruce and Elliott Elliott

Conversation between Bruce and Elliott Elliott

This is for you Carole. We pick up Elliott from school on Friday and bring him here. He wanted a snack and Bruce gave him a piece of cake he had made. Elliott — this cake is moist, the crumbs are perfect texture great. What kind is it PopPop? Bruce - carrot. Elliott - now I see the little pieces of carrot. What’s the icing. Bruce - butter cream. Elliott - I think cream cheese would have been better but this is good. And a little more cinnamon next time. I think the he watches too many kid cooking shows. 🍰🍰

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X