Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retirement on hold and upcoming travels

Hi folks

A while back I posted a note saying that I was coming up for retirement in April of this year as I celebrate my 70th birthday. I also commented that after retirement I was looking to travel by motorbike from Mexico City to Patagonia in 2121 with our son Kevin. Well, I may have to postpone this plan a little as my employer doesn't seem too keen on letting me leave so soon.

Its now looking like I shall be asked to stay on until at least Sept 2020 and possibly through until April 2021 which actually suits me as this will help finance the bike trip. Its also nice to know that my employer appreciates my work enough to ask me to stay on a little plus I get to continue to travel around the world at the company's expense!

This year started off with a little bit of creativity making the wall planter for Norma I posted earlier but as soon as the New Year kicked in I was back to traveling outside of Mexico. I'm at home at the moment for just 3 days after returning from 10 days working from my office base in Ontario, CA. I'll be traveling back up there on Monday for another 10 days then it will be back to Mexico hopefully for a week before setting off on a 2 - 3 weeks trip visiting suppliers of tile and stone coverings in Spain, Italy, Turkey and possibly Bulgaria, plus anywhere else that crops up in the coming days. After that I will probably be heading for Brazil again...

Whilst up in Ontario last weekend I got to take my road bike out on the Saturday to drive around Ventura area and then on Sunday my friend who garages my bike invited me to visit a friend of his who owns a large ranch in the hills outside of Acton, CA overlooking the Antelope Valley area. The ranch stretches to around 120 acres plus 60 acres of managed land from an adjoining ranch dedicated to growing several species of California lilacs for their flowers. For about 3 weeks in late spring the ranch is alive with contract workers who pick, select and box the flowers. I'm hoping to revisit the ranch during the blooming period to take photos of this event.

I didn't have my camera with me on this visit so I just took a couple of snapshots of the area on my phone. Here's one to give a taste of the location viewed from the porch of one of the properties on the ranch. You have to like this view!

OK - that's all for now. I need to think about packing my case again!

Cheers!

Klaus ranch.jpg
    Last edited by jim_mex; 01-23-2020, 07:00 PM.
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Looks great. Glad you got some time to look around.
    Not to question the longevity of your gene pool, but waiting until 2121 for that bike trip will put a 170 year old man on two wheels! Kev may not want to travel with Methuselah.
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Comment

Pleased for you re the employment,

Jim. I have just got in after my Sunday morning ride to meet up with my 90 year old riding mate and head North for about 50ks for morning coffee and a chat .... probably all lies but what the heck.15 bikes turned out from all over Auckland on a lovely warm day with clean and dry roads, the tires holding on well ... can't be bad.

Comment

Just remember your life is more then your job. Do it because you really want to and not just because they ask. Good luck.
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Congrats on your continued employment, It seems that you really enjoy doing what you do.

I retired early and was asked to go back and consult with a customer. The money was good and they really wanted me.

It really makes a difference - When you work because you have to versus work because you want to.

I went back to consult on 5-6 major projects.

Enjoy life.

Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

Hi folks - I'll be the first to admit that I really love my work and always have which after 54 vears in one industry is a pretty rare achievement for folks these days. Nevetheless, as my pal Jim M. says I´m conscious that I may need to change my name to Methuselah.

Hey Jim I really hope that was a typo when you wrote 170!

As for my New Zealand pal Rhys. You are my role model mate.
              Whilst you keep burning up the asphalt with your beemer, this encourages me to do the same! LOL!

Jim
              Last edited by jim_mex; 01-22-2020, 11:59 AM.
              Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Keep working as long as you thoroughly enjoy it. Bail out when you don't. Glad I bailed when I did but my life does seem to be quite boring compared to yours. Keep posting your travels as I find them interesting.
                "Time to Give Back"

Comment

Hi Jim

Great to hear you're doing well. I hope your adventures turn out to be safe and as eventful as they always seem to be. Thanks again for your kind help in the past, the gesture will never be forgotten. Gods speed in all your travels.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by jim_mex View Post
                    Hi folks - I'll be the first to admit that I really love my work and always have which after 54 vears in one industry is a pretty rare achievement for folks these days. Nevetheless, as my pal Jim M. says I´m conscious that I may need to change my name to Methuselah.

Hey Jim I really hope that was a typo when you wrote 170!

As for my New Zealand pal Rhys. You are my role model mate.
                    Whilst you keep burning up the asphalt with your beemer, this encourages me to do the same! LOL!

Jim
                    Do the math--Patagonia in 2121
                    Jim
                    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

LOL Jim - MY typo is now corrected!
                      Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X