No announcement yet.

Conversation between Bruce and Elliott.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversation between Bruce and Elliott.

Bruce was working on some cardholders and Elliott was “helping.” PopPop I get taken out of class every Friday. Why? We go to this special room with another teacher to work on things. What kind of things? Well, one time I had to build a foot mold and make a shoe. Bruce - huh? I had to measure things and cut things and made a shoe. One time I got to take a motor apart and put it back together. What kind of motor? Just a small one. And it worked. Who else is in this class with you? Much older kids, one is in third grade and some in fifth!!!! Elliott is in 1st grade. He’s in the STEM program. For his daily reading homework, he is reading the first book in the Harry Potter series.
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Sounds like a very creative kid. STEM programs are awesome.
    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

What irritates me is they wanted to “label” him with adhd. Guess Mimi was right. They need to teach up to him and not down. He’s so smart he scares me. I see great things in his future.
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

It happens that fads come thru our lives. There was the fad that power lines cause health problems but you don't hear about that anymore. You don't hear about acid rain, the coming ice age, SUVs causing accidents, spotted owl, and a host of other issues. This fad of diagnosing children who are outside the box as needing medication has messed up lots of lives. I was, back in the early 50s, determined to be mentally deficient, but it turned out when IQ tests came along, that I was a bit above average. Good thing they didn't have a drug for me then.
        OK, crawling back under my bridge.
        Have a grateful Thanksgiving.
        Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
        Desert Woodcrafters
        Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

My grandson kept getting in trouble at school when he was younger, and seemed to be bored at school. Of course, when you are bored you find something to occupy your time. Once we could get my daughter's ex-husband to agree to it (who wanted him medicated because he and his new wife were certain he was ADD or ADHD) we had my grandson tested. He wasn't either one of those. In fact, he tested as gifted. His IQ tests are freaky high. He's aced (a perfect score) on the Arizona school math testing several times now. His school's gifted program is horrible, but at least they started permitting him to read novels when he gets done with his work, rather than fidget. He's now 8th grade, and taking advanced placement high school math. It's the only subject they will allow kids to skip ahead in there. But it helped tremendously. The problem though with gifted kiddos----academically they excel beyond the level of their peers---but socially they are still the mental age and maturity of their classmates the same age. Those two things can conflict and confuse even the best person if it's not recognized. We've come a long way. STEM was one of our resources. Smart kiddos need to be challenged and when they are they excel! You keep working with Elliott. He will do great.
          Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

I looked at this thread, walked away for a while, and came back. I think there are some misconceptions here, as an adult who suffers from ADHD and Social Anxiety and struggled for many years before diagnosis. A professional diagnosis of ADHD can be life changing. Notice I specified "professional." I think school counselors are qualified enough to suggest that you seek a professional diagnosis, but I wouldn't depend on them to make a formal diagnosis. Highly intelligent people often have ADHD (of one sort or another) because their brains literally move faster than other people, and they are often very creative.

A diagnosis doesn't automatically mean medicating a child. There are a host of ways to help people diagnosed with ADHD. For students, it often involves giving them extra work to keep them active, or allowing them to take sensory breaks if they've been sitting still too long, or even sensory boards/chairs/therapeutic fidgets (not those fidget spinners), extra time for recess or physical stimulation (Jumping jacks, running in place, etc.). And properly used, most ADHD meds are to help the most overactive people learn coping skills.

In many cases, a diagnosis can help folks get to the proper career. I can't imagine working in accounting with my ADHD. Working at the magazine, I did treat my ADHD with medication because when I was working in the shop, I was fine, but when it came to sitting for hours editing, even if I was fascinated by the subject matter, I needed some help to concentrate and focus on making sure everything was spelled correctly. Now that I'm in sales, I can be really energetic and active, but my social anxiety needed some help.

Again, I hesitated to post, but I wanted to clear up some misconceptions. ADHD is not a bad thing. Inventors, entrepreneurs, and scientists often have ADHD. A formal diagnosis is not a label; it's a tool.

www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I started school in an area where pre-school "home learning" was not the norm. Therefore, I got bored easily in elementary school until the teacher and principal sent me down the hall to a higher grade level some afternoons to join their science program. (I just wish I could have absorbed math better or maybe been pushed a bit harder by my high school teachers. Geometry is a black science to me--which is tough sometimes trying to do woodworking)

Both my kids were professionally diagnosed as ADHD and with just a little medicine and coaching on skills, they both got off the meds and used the skills they learned to get through school. One of them got coaching from a school counselor who said she had to develop the same skills she taught him when she was in college.
              Jim
              When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
              Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

This an excellent discussion! I am learning a lot. it has certainly cleared up some misconceptions.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X