Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POP Quiz: Basic Principals of Mechanical concepts

Good Morning:

For those with extra time on your hands, a POP quiz for your entertainment.

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizze...alAptitude.php

This is a simulated aptitude test for diesel repair technicians. The questions are specifically and exactly phrased based on established Engineering and Scientific knowledge. This quiz is multiple choice, but some of the incorrect answers offered in many cases are offered based on 'common mis-understanding' of engineering and physics. The test is long.

Some hints:

The one for the fans near the end. The clockwise / CCW rotation is from your perspective as you view the problem. Don't get confused, the question (and the correct answer) is specific to someone viewing the graphic as drawn.

The gear reduction problems, count the teeth on the two gears.

One question on gears, uses words some may not be familiar with. Don't hesitate to Google the word in WIKIpedia for what the word means.

The two weights on the balance: just remember, if the weights were equal and the pivot was in the exact middle they would balance. Yes, it is a trick question on how they word the question and the possible answers.

Near the end is a question on a piston engine. The correct answer is exact scientific cause and effect, the wording of the question is specific.

Enjoy.

Phil

I scored 400pts or 80% just what was needed to pass. That was a good recap of some old knowledge that I have not used in a long time.
    Brad R.
    18" Craftsman Pro

Comment

Gary,
      Got 84%. That will get your mind working first thing in the morning. Thanks

Tom

Comment

Hehehe, guess I know why I never became a mechanic. I got 74%.
        Of course, the funny part is I just left a job as a quality engineer with a company that manufactured diesel fuel injection equipment.
        Last edited by Jediscroller; 12-03-2007, 07:28 AM.
        Kevin
        Scrollsaw Patterns Online
        Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

I got a 74% too. That's why I sit at a desk.
          Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Comment

Well I got 84 but it took me a long time to figure out how to do the sorting question.

Ok my brain is strained now and I will need a nap
            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Thanks Phil
              Got an 80.
              Dave
              Dave
              "Tight's tight, too tight's broken"

My Gallery

Comment

I missed the one on the balloons but I don't agree with their answer. The atmospheric pressure "outside" the balloons is the same for all the balloons but the pressure "differential" is greatest on the small balloon.
                If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Originally posted by Neal Moore
                  I missed the one on the balloons but I don't agree with their answer. The atmospheric pressure "outside" the balloons is the same for all the balloons but the pressure "differential" is greatest on the small balloon.
                  How'd you find out which ones you got right or wrong? I guess I got the above wrong too, hehehe. Atmospheric pressure should be the same on all 3 balloons.
                  Kevin
                  Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                  Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

I just clicked on the little "TOC" icon at the bottom left and up popped a list of my correct/incorrect responses. I also missed an easy one on the first block and tackle. The other one I missed was the two fans because I didn't pay attention to Phil's explanation.
                    If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

This means you all have the same qualifications and experience of the actual mechanics that fix my truck. Doesn't that make ya'll feel nice and comfortable! <toots air horn>
                      Jeff Powell

Comment

I made 84...does this mean I can work on my Ford truck now.....lol
                        Bruce

View some of my scrolling at my web site @www.woodworking.silverstarpage.net
                        My veterans site @www.silverstarpage.com

new 788 user

Comment

Sorry. I don't have a program on my PC to figure that out. That's I work with wood. It's ether wood or not wood. Simple like me.

www.pajarostudiowns.com
                          Excalibur EX-21 fanatic
                          One of the Chosen few

"The Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated......I am retired!!!!!!!".

Comment

I use to sit at a desk. Maybe I should have been a mechanic!
                            Doc249HMCS

Excalibur 21, and a Dremel 1680

Comment

i'll fess up 68, so much for the dyslectic carpenter. doug

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X