Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retirement plans and a bucket list wish...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retirement plans and a bucket list wish...

Hi folks

It's with a fair amount of shame that I infrequently visit the forum these days. As a previously frequent contributor here over the years who has made a lot of scrolling friends and learned considerably from many very talented people I've been so wrapped up in work for the past 5 years being continually away from home that my participation in the forum has been practically zero.

I recently underwent a medical procedure and lying in a hospital bed for 36 hrs it gave me some time to think about my life and how I want to continue to live it. Next April, assuming I get there, I'll reach 70 years of age and after almost 54 years of working I'm thinking its maybe time I should retire.

Now retiring doesn't imply I want to stop working - no way! I have plenty of ideas for how to occupy my time and hopefully gain a little income, I just need to sort the wheat from the chaff and make a decision on what to do. I've already suggested to my current employer that next year may be my last year I work full time with them and that has given me the incentive to begin thinking seriously about what to do next but I do have one bucket list item to accomplish before I leave this earth which is starting to take on some form.

A couple of years back I bought a motorcycle, a BMW F8000r road bike, to return to an activity I last practiced in the UK in the mid 70's. Norma told me I was crazy at the time but she's now got used to the fact that whenever I'm fortunate enough to stop over a weekend in LA area where my employer is based I take out the bike, which is garaged by a friend of mine in Simi Valley CA, and take off to the hills or the beach or wherever else I fancy traveling and wind down from the pressures of work.

I was originally thinking to bring the BMW back to Mexico when I retire but realistically the condition of Mexican roads is abysmal and would not suit it. With this in mind I'm going to sell it later in the year and buy a more robust adventure touring bike. For any bikers out there I'm looking at a Honda NC750x DCT.

This brings me to my bucket list item.....

It will likely take me a year to plan but I want to make an adventure bike journey in 2021 from Mexico City to the southern most point of Latin America in Tierra del Fuego, Patagonia and back over a 6 month period. When I ran this past Norma she thought at first I was joking but when she realized I wasn't she surprised me by suggesting that I take Kevin our son with me. Kevin is already fired up with the idea so it looks like I will be needing to buy two adventure bikes! Now, I´m not so stupid as to want to take off on such a journey without first getting some experience under my belt so my idea is to start off with a less challenging trip maybe in the fall of next year.

One of the very first of my now many forum pals to give me some help when I first joined this group is a guy who went by the name of Great Dane, real name Alan Pate. Alan lives near Campbell River on Vancouver Island in Canada. A couple of years back on a return business trip from China to Mexico I routed back through Vancouver and sprung a surprise visit on him. We had a fantastic weekend together in Vancouver and ever since he has been wanting me to visit him again in his home town. I mentioned the possibility of undertaking this trip to Norma and she surprised me yet again by saying she wanted to go with me.

So, fingers crossed, if all goes well this will be my first real motorcycle adventure.

Scrolling pals be warned. I know some of you live on or close to the West Coast of the USA so don't be surprised if when I make this trip I reach out to call in and see you!

Cheers!
    Last edited by jim_mex; 10-01-2019, 09:35 PM.
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Jim,

That is great news! You deserve to take time to smell the flowers. I retired from my life time employer 23 years ago. That said I never looked back. It was the best decision I made, I just turned 80 in June and still going strong.
    To be honest I am so busy I do not know how I found time to work.

As you make the trip up the west coast, should you make a wrong turn do not turn back. Just keep going you will eventually reach the East Coast. If you need lodging you are welcome.

cwmagee
    aka Fibber
    Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

First, no matter where you stop you will always be welcome.! Regarding retirement, I went to 3 days a week on my 67 the BD Told my boss that I would be done on my 68th unless there was a voluntary RIF before that time. I asked to be put on that list. There was a RIF so I was technically laid off with a nice severance package, when that ran out I went on unemployment. after that SS etc.
      You are overdue for retirement, you certainly have paid your dues.
      The Bike trip sounds awesome .
      Rolf
      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Jim, I'm already anxiously awaiting the travelogue I expect you to post. Good luck on your adventures and don't be a stranger here.
        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Bill nailed it. A great with your ability to narrate your adventures is something to look for. If I were anywhere close, I would detour for a meeting.
          And i was just thinking of Alan the other day at my son's house as he was playing with his Great Dane. I hope all is well with him.
          Jim
          When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
          Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Happy and safe travels to you!!
            Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Your bucket list sounds great, said he with a touch of envy in his voice. I did do a gravel riding course before I did my odyssey in the South Island of New Zealand and I did learn lots, which has stood me in good stead, since.

Comment

This is an amazing adventure we can’t wait to go with you.
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Hobbyhorse, A gravel riding course?
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Yes Rolf .... cornering and control in is obviously quite different in gravel when compared with sealed roads. When turning, say to the left, on seal one leans to the left but on gravel one actually leans to the right .... think of cinder track speedway riding, the riders are sitting up while the bike is leaning over and in that position when the bike slides the rider goes with it whereas if he were leaning the other way the bike would slide out from under him.

Comment

I have been fully retired since 01/01/2015. I was 62. It is the best job I ever had. The hardest thing about retiring is making the decision to retire. After a couple months of retirement you will be kicking yourself for not doing it soon. Chase your dream.
                      Scott
                      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

The hardest thing about anything is making the decision. Once you do that, you can move on.
                        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X