Way off topic, no wood involved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way off topic, no wood involved

I took a couple of weeks off from working with wood to build something that has been on my to do list for a long time. It is a trailer mover for moving my boat. Based on purchased plans I modified it to use materials that were locally available. I got to use the skills learned from the welding class I took and play with the TIG welder I had bought. To say I enjoyed this project would be a major understatement. To buy one would have cost me in the $1500 range. I think I spent about $500 not counting my welder and the classes. Why did I need this? The location where I store my boat is tucked in behind a fence and a large Japanese maple. I can no longer back it in with my Jeep. We have been using an electric winch to pull it in with me steering the front with a trailer dolly. Very challenging to say the least and dangerous.
    This is battery powered and uses a modified winch motor for the drive. It will use my boat battery I used a jumper box just to test it.
    I will be using it today as I have to pull my take my boat out early this year, (upcoming surgery) I look forward to getting back to my scrolling, It always amazes me how much I miss it when I don't do it for a while. 20190903_171740 (Small).jpg20190903_171808 (Small).jpg20190903_171758 (Small).jpg
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Rolf, that is amazing. Very well done on this venture.
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Now that is an interesting project and certainly one to be proud of .... good luck with the trial run.

Comment

Well Done! No doubt you must have a metal cutting bandsaw too, or access to a CNC plasma cutter? I like the way you designed it too. Reading between the lines (my Japanese trait) you enjoy welding. I do it. Fun, relaxing and just knowing I can join metal together. My dad started me welding before I was a teen - repairing farm equipment.

Battery powered:
        I have a couple of friends that had a similar battery pack as you you have, but both said that they didn't last more than a about 3 years, mainly because they didn't use it much. I bought a HF Viking Lithium booster/starter battery pack last year and have been totally surprised at its power and its ability to keep a charge and how much I use it.
        Just in case you want a backup: https://www.harborfreight.com/lithiu...ack-62749.html They are small but powerful; I bought one for my daughters to keep around also. Great for charging cell phones and other uses too.
        Last edited by leehljp; 09-13-2019, 05:52 PM.
        Hank Lee
        Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

Well the trial run was a bit disappointing. The mover has plenty of beef but the wheels lost traction when when the boat trailer wheels got into my thick blue stone storage area. So there are some changes to be made.
          For cutting the material I started using a HF metal chop saw but the blade started melting through and not cutting. So I bought some 4.5 inch Norton Blue fire cut off wheels for my Portacable hand grinder and a 14 inch blue fire blade for the HF saw. It ends up the 4.5 inch blade cut much faster even through some 1/2 inch steel. I did it outside because of all the sparks. The 4.5 inch five pack was $16 at Lowes.
          Last edited by Rolf; 09-14-2019, 10:56 AM.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X