• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill Wilson View Post
    All right you guys! Stop rubbing it in!

<still years away from retirement>
    Bill:
    I MIGHT have two years left..but I am at the age that I can pull the plug at anytime. (Just not full benefits)
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Bill don't rush it! Youth is a wonderful thing.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
        Bill don't rush it! Youth is a wonderful thing.
        Well, at 59 my youth is in the rearview mirror. I'm at that awkward age where I have a lot of friends/family/coworkers who are retired or planning on retiring very soon. I expect to work well into my late 60's. It's hard not to get jealous.
        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Bill, when the time is right you will just know it. Just make sure you know the “laws” for social security. We had to stop contributing to the hsa 6 months prior to bruce retiring as he waited to retire beyond his official age. So we packed it in as long as we could, got the $2000 benefit his company tossed into it and when we had to stop contributing threw what we could into the 401k. Learn everything you can about retiring BEFORE. Talk to your advisor. You may be surprised. And my kids are going to be surprised because we are going to be spending every cent we can!!
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

On my 67th BD I asked my division head that I wanted to go to 3 days a week and that I was retiring on my 68th BD. The only other stipulation was that if there was a voluntary RIFF he would put my name on the list. That did happened and I went out December 2015 with severance. When that was used up I went on unemployment for 26 weeks. After that I started collecting my SS and a bit of money from my retirement fund.
            The age time frame was perfect for me and my workplace had changed, funding was a constant battle and the bureaucratic nonsense was getting intolerable.

Bottom line we all know when the time is right. Betty is right " Learn everything you can about retiring BEFORE."
            Rolf
            RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

There are quite a lot of people here at work, who are my age or a few years older, so retirement planing is a popular subject around here. Our employer has been pretty good about bringing in an advisor once or twice a year to offer retirement planning/SSI advice for the general consumption of those interested. I'll be participating in those meetings over the next few years, but realistically, I expect to work until 68 or thereabouts, so I have a number of years left. Presuming I last that long.
              Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

One of the salesmen that worked with Bruce had a discussion with his advisor and he was told he could quit work and never have to worry about money. He went in the next day and put in his 2 weeks. He was 59. You never know!
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I can relate. My shop just sent me a letter of intent to file suit for abandonment if I don't get back to it by the end of the month.
                  Scott
                  Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X