Need help finding a font

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help finding a font

I will be restoring these two signs for our Church established in 1870. You can see how bad they are. I mostly need the gothic or old English. the smaller font shouldn't be too much of a problem. I will be stenciling them not cutting.
    I have gotten close with mideval , But i like the original a bit better. UMC 2.jpgUMC 1.jpg
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Hi Rolf

I tried a few fonts. Matching hand painted calligraphy fonts is a pain.

First line is Old english text TM

Second line is ZurrichCalligraphyItalic

Good Luck. I checked dafont.com Medieval - Gothic and there are lots but not exact.

Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

Thanks Don, I am going to try cutting a template with the Cricut machine at the local library. Then paint the text with plastic paint on a PVC backer. The sun really does a number on the signs where they are located.
      Rolf

Comment

Please post when you are done.

I would be interested how it works out with the Cricut machine and the template. I have been trying to convince my other half that she really needs a Cricut for iron transfers but she doesn't think she would use it much now the grand kids are growing up and she does sew for them.

I wish our library would get in to makers stuff.
        Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

The lettering will be delayed a bit. Once I got the signs home I realized just what a mess I have on my hands. I will be building a new frame also. This is a picture of the back of the worst one. Back of UMC 1 (Small).jpg When I re install them I will put small spacers behind them so that water can not get trapped.
          Rolf

Comment

Just a note about the Cricut cutters - I have had cutters since the beginning of the first Cricut being introduced on the market which was about 13 or so years ago now I believe, maybe a bit longer. Originally, Cricut could only cut from images on cartridges that they sold. Then a couple of people came out with software that hacked the systems and let you cut your own files. Provocraft, the owner of the Cricut brand, sued them to stop it. So you were once again locked into their cartridge system. Fast forward many years and Provocraft has gotten rid of their cartridges and now has an online library to buy images from. You now have to use their online program to cut to their latest machines (their older machines are called "legacy" machines by the company and are no longer supported and won't work with the online program.) The biggest problem with that is you have to be able to be online to work in their program and to cut. Not ideal if you have a power outage, internet concerns like data caps, speed, etc. The one thing they finally reluctantly did however was to let users be able to import SVG files into their program to cut their own designs. However, what I understand is that their software is still not the greatest and has some limitations on file sizes, etc. The other thing to consider is that they are limited to 12x12 mat sizes so you would have to make multiple stencil parts and pieces (tiling) to do that large of a file. It sure if their software has an option for tiling easily. The 3rd party programs do.

The thing that many people don't realize is that there are several other brand cutters out on the market besides the Cricut cutters. Some are like the Cricut and sold in stores and online. Others are only available online. Some try to lock you in to their online library systems and won’t let you import SVG files, or require you to buy their more expensive "business edition" to be able to work with your own files. Some of those are the Silhouette line of cutters and the Pazzles. They are also limited in size to 12" wide usually. Then the online cutters that can be bought, typically use software that easily lets you import and export your own files and lets you work with SVG files easily. The main ones like these are KNK cutters and Silver Bullet cutters (there are others - these are the two I am most familiar with.) They typically use one of two software programs (they can use either one.) One is Make the Cut (MTC) and the other is Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL). I own both programs and have had them for years. (Since both were first released. - They are the ones Provocraft sued.) MTC was and still is my go to program because I know it the best. However, it has not been updated to work with newer cutters (besides being able to export out as an SVG file.) The last updates to it were unfortunately 5 years ago. It still has lots of tools and features it just doesn't work with newer cutters. SCAL, has been updated and works with most of the latest cutters that have come out most recently. The nice thing about some of these machines are that they come in various sizes and bigger then the 12" cutters. Many are available in 15", 18" or 24" width for cutting and are not limited in length (unless the software limits you.) The thing that frustrates some users with them, is what makes them more versatile then the other store bought ones, in that they take a bit more "tweaking" sometimes to find the perfect cut settings based on the media being used. I have been using these cutters and programs for more than ten years. I used them to do lots of different things from making team shirts for my kids sports teams, making cards, 3-d items, etc. I also used it to put the signs on my husband's office window, etc.

So, all that said - The Cricut may not be your best choice for what you are wanting to do with the Church sign Rolf. If you can let me know what kind of Cricut they have and the program that they use, I can help you with that knowledge. If it is not ideal for you, I can try to help you with it on my end if possible. i have a machine that will cut up to 18" wide. I never got the 24" machine. One thought would be rather than to make a stencil and paint the sign, you could cut it out in outdoor vinyl and adhere it to a sign backing (like they do for Windows and other outdoor signs.) The outdoor vinyl is very good and durable and rated to last for years (probably longer then most paint jobs.) If you want to explore that option, I am happy to help you if I can. Just let me know. Happy to help you in anyway I can, with questions on the Cricut, other cutters, software, helping you to cut out the stencil or the vinyl, etc. just let me know!
            Last edited by meflick; 04-19-2019, 03:55 PM. Reason: typos
            Melanie from East TN

Comment

Very good information, Hope it helps Rolf.
              ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♥♥

Comment

Wow Melanie. That was a real heads up. Thank you for all of that information.
                Since I will be putting the text on a pvc board I may follow your suggestion and use the vinyl letters and cut them on our libraries Cricut. machine. It is a Cricut Explore Air 2 . I have cut out vinyl letters before I take my tablet with me and down load the file directly from the cloud.
                With the rotting wood mess I am dealing with that won't happen until next week sometime.

Hp pulled that crap with their fonts when they first started.
                Rolf

Comment

You are welcome. If I can help in anyway, just let me know.
                  Melanie from East TN

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Bill Wilson
                    Reply to wipe on poly and tack cloth
                    by Bill Wilson
                    First, follow the instructions on the can, regarding wait time between coats. I would think that for the first couple coats, re-applying while the previous coat was still tacky wouldn't be terrible, but I would warn that building several coats without allowing proper drying time, will extend the overall,...
                    Today, 08:50 AM
                  • Don in Brooklin On
                    Reply to wipe on poly and tack cloth
                    by Don in Brooklin On
                    I use wipe on poly quite often and I apply 2 thin coats before sanding with 220 or 320. I wipe with a lint free. Someone told me not to use tack cloth as you can leave behind a wee bit of beeswax witch could cause issues later on.

I make sure that the surface is dry and not tacky before...
                    Yesterday, 05:41 AM
                  • dwssr2
                    wipe on poly and tack cloth
                    by dwssr2
                    Question, when sanding polyurethane in between coats, using a tack cloth, is it ok to wipe on poly while the project seems tacky or should a person wait a few hours to let it dry?
                    How necessary is it to sand between coats of polyurethane? I am sure people have a lot of different opinions and...
                    04-24-2019, 05:58 PM
                  • tgiro01
                    Reply to Do you know what this Is?
                    by tgiro01
                    Betty asked: "Where does the responsibility of the maker of an item end and the responsibility of the purchaser begin? My sealife puzzle is purchased by older people due to its complexity but - if they leave it laying around and a child gets a part and chokes, is that my responsibility or theirs?"...
                    04-24-2019, 12:20 PM
                  • RJweb
                    Reply to Do you know what this Is?
                    by RJweb
                    The problem now a days everyone is sue happy, no matter who’s at fault, RJ...
                    04-24-2019, 10:03 AM
                  Working...
                  X