No announcement yet.

The Hurdy Gurdy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for posting that clip Rolf, it is the best one I have seen.

I have just arrived back home after a weekend Folk Festival just north of here where to my surprise there were 3 more hurdy gurdys. I was lucky enough to spend some hours in discussion about them and have had answers to many of my questions on setup and playing techniques .... all good.

Comment

The hurdy gurdy is finally complete and making music ... well sort of. It is a devil to tune and it does take some time for the wheel to polish and for the rosin coat to settle into the grain. I have been surprised at the volume it puts out as I have installed piezo pickups under the bridge which are not really necessary for normal playing. In a performance situation obviously the extra volume is required.

It has taken 6 months to get this far and probably about 500 hours has actually gone into it. I am sure I would be considerably quicker on the second one .... which I have not intention of building!!

The buzz for me is in the making and the playing of it is best left to a musician.

Comment

WOW! What an amazing piece of work.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

A beautiful instrument. Do you have to play it with one hand? Who turns the crank?
          ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♥♥

Comment

Amazing! Do we get a concert?
            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Thanks all for your comments and likes, it is appreciated.

Woodguy, the instrument is strapped to ones waist and played on the side with the right hand doing the turning and the left playing the keys. The key return is by gravity hence the location on its side.

Will, I think the idea of a concert is a step too far.

Just to elaborate on the comment about the rosin .... the rosin is applied to the wheel to give it more grip on the string in the same way that rosin is applied to a violin bow to increase the grip.

Comment

Just a few notes?
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Incredible work Rhys! - I´m even more astounded by your craftmanship after seeing the video posted by Rolf showing just how intricate this instrument is.

Thanks guys!
                  Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                  - Albert Einstein

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X