The Hurdy Gurdy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hurdy Gurdy

A fairly challenging build this time and taking many hours of thought and work.

Well that most certainly is a challenging project. What you have done so far is beautiful, it will really pop with a finish on it. Where did you find plans for something like this?
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks for that Rolf.

The plans came from a guy named Graeme McCormack and his company is called Antiquated Strings:
      https://sites.google.com/site/mccorm...iquatedstrings

I am building his Henri III, and the best part is the plans are free, 10 A1 sheets plus a book. There is a catch though in that there are a number of errors in both the dimensioning and the actual drawings and this does create some problems, hence the comment "many hours of thought".

Comment

I agree with Rolf, that does look very challenging.
        Denny
        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

And what does it do?
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

It is a musical instrument from the Renaissance period which is also known as a wheel fiddle. The wheel rubs on the strings in the same way as a violin bow does and creates the sound. It is played by depressing keys as seen in the picture of the finished item.

Comment

Rhys you certainly like challenges. I'm waiting for the YouTube video of you playing all these instruments.
              Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

You may have to wait a while,Tim. The building of the instrument is the easy part, it is the playing that is tough and the more so on this one, I suspect.

Comment

Progress to show. Still to make the wheel cover and fit the sympathetic string, but essentially complete.The dismantling and laquering is not something I am looking forward to.

Comment

😮😮amazing. That’s one project I won’t be doing. Will you be making a utube of you playing it?
                    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Hey my friend. Fantastic craftsmanship as usual.
                      So do we have to call you Rhys aka Donovan after this project is finished? Definitely need to see that video of you strumming your latest instrument.

PS - I have an idea for your new project. A scale model of our favorite Indian. Enjoy the Burt Munro rally my friend
                      Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                      - Albert Einstein

Comment

I really envy your ability to tackle this. With my ADHD I could never do something like this. Thanks for the update.
                        Scott
                        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Thanks all for your comments .... I do have a hurdy gurdy player on hand to give it the test run and I think he will be the star on the you tube clip.

Comment

That is remarkable work

Comment

Found this. What an amazing instrument. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYJg9cLk1us And what worksmanship.
                              That is one heck of a project you took on.
                              Rolf
                              RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X