Computer upgrade warning!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer upgrade warning!!!!!

Just watching the news It seems there is a real problem with the latest Windows 10 Upgrade According to the network news it wipes out lots files etc. DO NOT Install this upgrade.
    I thought it was my mistake evidently not! Thank goodness I have a recent cloud backup of all my data and files. Only lost one program.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

https://www.techrepublic.com/article...ays-microsoft/
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Was it last year or 2016, when MS had the "Free upgrades" to Windows 10? They put an update on my Windows 7 machines and all I had to do was click the icon to get the upgrade. There was another program I had to run first, to make sure my computer would handle Windows 10.

I was reading the boards on how windows 10 was working, at the time, and was successfully disregarding the upgrade icon, because of all the issues. But, one day, I wasn't watching closely, and hit the icon on my shop computer. By the time I realized, I had done it, the upgrade was started. So, I let it go.

The first thing that happened was some of my programs no longer worked. When I went to the vendors for upgrades, I had been using the programs for so long, I had to buy new to get Win10 compatible. And some of the drivers for the printers, web-cams, and the plotter no longer worked. I had to get new drivers and when I did, the Win10 drivers didn't have all the functionality of the old drivers.

I played with Windows 10 for about a month, before I gave up and went back to Windows 7. I do full backups once a month and differentials once a week, locally. So, it was easy enough to put the restore DVD in the machine and have the machine back to Windows 7 in a matter of an hours or so.

Then, on the web, I found a program that removed the icon and blocked the "update" that MS kept trying to load to get me to upgrade. I've stayed on Windows 7 since.

I know that Windows 7 will someday be dropped. By then, I imagine I'll have new computers where Windows 10 will have been tweaked by the computer vendor to make sure it runs well. All the accessory vendors will have their drivers fully compatible by then, also. I may be using another OS entirely, by then. I spent 25 years as a Unix/linux systems engineer. I may just run a version of Debian with windows in a virtual window, if I need it.

Good luck, Rolf. I understand that the key to successful Windows 10 use is Backup, Backup, Backup.
      Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Rolf,

I know that this does not help you with your computer problem. However,
        I was just checking with Microsoft regarding the update bug. They have pulled the update.
        cwmagee
        aka Fibber
        Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

Overall I was lucky, other than spending almost a week to reload and solve problems I am in good shape. Only one company I still have to deal with "Neat". but I will have to be in a calm state before I contact them. A couple of weeks before this happened I decided to subscribe to Idrive, a cloud backup company. Glad I did.. Even though I have two external backups. They are both right next to my computer.
          Rolf

Comment

I gave up on ms years ago, ever since I went to the Apple orchard never had a problem, RJ
            Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

Can't switch to Apple, I have too much invested in software etc. So I just go to the shop and bash a thumb now and then to change my pain focus.
              Rolf

Comment

Ya could try one of the Linux operating systems. They work much better than windoz, but you have to level up your geekosity and nerdabilitys to use em.
                Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
                Desert Woodcrafters
                Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

I lived in the ultimate geek world for 35 years building gadgets for the high energy and photon science world. Got used to walking down the hall to the ultimate computer geeks for help. I gave up a lot of resources when I retired.
                  Rolf

Comment

I haven't found anything missing yet, but a fella called saying he was from Windowz and wanted to help with my computer. Another lady called and told me my Windowz was canceled and I needed to call them and get it back. I gave the fella a good runaround about replacing the living room window and wanted to schedule a replacement. The lady was a recording so she got off without the hassle.
                    Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
                    Desert Woodcrafters
                    Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

When I get those calls and I'm at my desk and there's a person on the machine, I answer "Sheriff's Office, Fraud Department." Click, they hang up. Otherwise I just let my answering machine answer and delete. And I am in the process of resetting my computer to a few days go. Seems windows updated and I don't like it. I use my Ipad more and more.
                      Last edited by will8989; 10-15-2018, 08:53 PM.
                      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X