Old deck -> new deck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old deck -> new deck

My old treated wood deck (30 years) finally got past my level of care. I tried to get someone to come in and just clean it up and paint it, but their prices are exorbitant ($4-6K+). And, I'd still have the annual cleaning and refinishing or the high refinishing costs every four or five years. This is, also, one of the years we redo something on the house to keep it up. So, we decided to just replace it with something we could hose down every year or so. Of course that got out of hand a bit.

The original deck was 12X18 - with cut corners. The new one is 16X18 with squared corners, All Trex, and vinyl wrapped, or aluminum wrapped. We're going from a clear poly roof to a solid roof with and screened windows all around that we can close in the winter time to keep out the snow.

I'm not as brave as Betty & Bruce, and doing it myself. Besides the wife wants it done by the end of the month - it'd take me a lot longer. But the contractors have been delayed by rain. For the past four days they've only been able to work 3 - 5 hours a day. Today was nice and they got in a good 7 hours and really got some stuff done.

They hope to have it done by the end of next week, if the weather cooperates.
    Attached Files
    Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Looks like it’s going to be something you’ll enjoy for a long time. When’s the party? 😁
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Hmmmmm, I have. 20x10 patio that needs something. Bruce has a b word for me but brave isn’t it. Lol. That’s going to be really nice. Did Carole say party?
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Keep the pictures coming! Be nice to see how it is built.

Comment

It's good to have a project.
          Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
          Desert Woodcrafters
          Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Party? I'm in.

You are wise to pay for Trex. The pressure treated wood these days will not hold up like the stuff made 20 plus years ago. I built a deck 8 years ago and last year I replace a couple boards due to rot and I have a few more to replace this year.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

We gave up on wood decking and did pavers, . You should have no issues since you will be closing it in. The Trex was a good choice, worth the investment.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I had treated wood decks on 2 houses and I too have given up on any exposed wood on any exterior surface. We even have the brick molding on our service doors covered with aluminun extrusions. When our contractor asked what size decks we wanted I said none, I want patios.

Your deck being enclosed and with a roof will be a somewhat different story. Good luck and thanks for showing us the progress.
                Stoney aka Al

This gettin old stuff ain't for sissies!

Comment

Progress - tomorrow shingles and then they start making it pretty. Screens won't be here for another 2 - 3 weeks.

Attached Files
                  Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Looks like something you'll really enjoy using. And screens are such a great idea--I don't last more than a few minutes on our patio before the bugs start in.
                    Carole

Comment

Carole, that is because you are so sweet.
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Oh my, I'm totally speechless. I don't often hear "sweet" and "Carole" in the same sentence.
                        Carole

Comment

Love Trex....usually holds up great in the sun, from we've experienced over the past 5 years in Phoenix. Your closed in deck looks like it's coming along smashingly!
                          Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

I’ve never heard sweet and Betty in the same sentence except from my mother.
                            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X