Crazy glue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy glue

Somewhere I read about mixing a powder (I think it was baby powder) with crazy glue to thicken it up so as to be more effective in a glue-up where there may be a gap. Has anyone tried this?

Re: Crazy glue

Haven't tried that, but with epoxy designed to fill gaps and epoxy filler available, why risk messing up a glue-up with some experiment unless, you don't have, and can't get the stuff ya need.??? My bet would be that mixing anything with one of these super glues, would only weaken the bond. I'd be interested in hearing any other ideas, or sucess or failure stories from anyone who's tried them, though.

Al

Comment

But when you do a glue-up with that epoxy filler stuff, does it stand out when you paint it (i.e., not absorb the paint the same as the wood)? I've just started trying a few glue-ups of pine from the lumberyard - always the cheap one - I use regular Elmer's wood glue, clamp it together, and then carve off the edges where there are any gaps. Should I expect bad things from this process?

Teri :

Comment

If you use Elmers white, carpenter or Gorilla Glue, or any of those one part glues, you can clamp with a lot of pressure to hold the pieces together, and not loose any strength. Epoxy takes a lighter clamping force so you don't squeeze the stuff out. Epoxy's strength is in the glue so a little more between the pieces is preferable. I have never had a problem with paint not adhering to the epoxy joint, but if you are worried, v-groove out a little and fill the joint with a wood filler. I have used epoxy to insert fins in fish, both painted and naturally finished (stained) and have had no problems with epoxy taking either paint or varnish, or lacquer.

I'd use elmers or equivalent on a glue up, though, unless I knew I had gaps in the joint.

Al

Comment

They make a thick super glue specifically for that application - try a model airplace shop they may have it. Least wise that what my model building neighbor tells me.

Comment

I have mixed wood dust from sanding with most glues to repair or fix a crack and all seems to work

Comment

Have you mixed that with the cyanoacrylic super glues? I've heard they make a thick one, but haven't seen it in the stores. would that be that type for models etc?, And is that mixable with powders, sawdust, etc?
              Al

Comment

Bette&&--Michigan&&http://home.centurytel.net/BetteFranke&&http://community.webshots.com/user/Bette_Franke

Comment

Just about any carving catalog that sells the C.A. (super) glues sells 3 types -- thin, regular and thick. I buy all three. When I have a thin, fragile area finished I dump on the thin simply to strengthen it. If I break something I use the regular to glue it back together - after very lightly wetting both surfaces first. Don't ask me why, but C.A. works better on a damp surface.

The 'powder' that is generally mixed with them to fill gaps is baking soda. The Fall 2002 edition of Wildfowl Carving Magazine has a long, detailed article describing the process. I don't know if the article is reproduced on their web site.
                  http://www.wildfowl-carving.com

Comment

I use West System Epoxy on all my outdoor signboards, and carvings. I then Prime and paint them with top brand enamal sign paints (One Shot)to protect them from UV rays. Epoxy alone will break down rapidly in sun light. But it is by far the strongest glue there is. I also know many sign carvers who use nothing but Tight Bond wood glue, and have not heard of any problems with their signs.
                    Visit Easton, Md's Waterfowl Festival November 8th 9th and 10th.

Comment

Comment

Ahhhhhhhh Bandaid ....... I wanna carve decoys so badly and I figure the closest I'll ever get is that magazine :-/

Comment

Nancy, I think we have to humor you.....anyone who carves Santas like you do.......
                          How about a Santa with a decoy? Or a bunch of decoys?
                          Bette
                          Bette&&--Michigan&&http://home.centurytel.net/BetteFranke&&http://community.webshots.com/user/Bette_Franke

Comment

Santa RIDING a decoy - with that wonderful beard you do waving in the wind?

Just my penny's worth.

Teri

Comment

One Warning, after the glue is dry do not power carve!!
                              The fumes are poisionous, be careful. Probably in that wildfowl article that was listed. Michele
                              Oh, and don't apply over your kitchen sink. When the tube starts to squeeze out of the bottom and panic sets in.
                              Don't try to wash it down the sink, water activates it and it drys in a bubbling mess.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                                Reply to Communion cross
                                by cwmagee
                                That is beautiful.

I am chaffing at the bit to get back to the scroll saw, Unfortunately the urban renewal project "Redoing the deck" has taken over all of my time.
                                Yesterday, 09:25 PM
                              • daveswoodworking
                                Comment on 2020 Ornament Exchange
                                by daveswoodworking
                                Yes I’ll send you the list of names and address to sent to after after the dead line
                                Thank you for join the exchange
                                Yesterday, 09:24 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Communion cross
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Excellent contrast not only in wood choices (LOVE the bocote), but also 90 degree corners on the bocote and radius corners on the maple. Very nice!
                                Yesterday, 08:46 PM
                              • vgraf
                                Reply to 2020 Ornament Exchange
                                by vgraf
                                I signed up four four, Will you be sending the list of where to send my ornaments?
                                Yesterday, 08:19 PM
                              • Trackman
                                Reply to Winter issue
                                by Trackman
                                Got mine in East Central Indiana. Carole has a nice bowl idea an couple of tool reviews
                                Yesterday, 07:44 PM
                              Working...
                              X