What to do with the front yard now

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with the front yard now

This is not scroll saw related but I've found that there are several knowledgeable members on this forum so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. After several years of our sewer backing up in the basement we finally got tired of having it snaked out all the time. Our plumber who now as a camera that goes down the sewer pipe told me in April that one section of the pipe is full of tree limbs. They were here last week and drove all over the front yard looking for the pipe. It turns out the bad area is in our basement. He said he will have to bust up the cement into a two or three foot diameter hole, and place a sleeve over the pipe where the tree limbs have busted thru. I don't plan on busting the cement out myself but I'm sure that my son and I can refill the hole with sacrete

So now what to do with the front yard. There has been no rain here to speak of and everything is brown and dry. The heat has been in the triple digits for more days than I care to think about. All of this makes our front yard look like crap. Should I wait til later in the summer before I deal with it? I don't know if I should rake and then till it up and reseed? Or should I rake up the mess and bring in dirt and then reseed it. My wife and I both drive pass a house on our way to work and we have noticed they placed some sort of green mesh on the yard and this produced some really nice green grass. Not sure what it is but I'm still looking on the internet for what it is.

For what it's worth we are the 4th or 5th house on this street who has had this same type of sewer trouble. The next door neighbors had to do it a few years ago. They finally found the pipe they needed to fix in their garage. This required them busting up the garage floor, fixing it and the re-pouring cement.

Dan

Trying to get grass started and growing in this type of weather will be very difficult. It would require lots of watering now and attention. It sounds like you have other projects to work on in the basement. I would level the ground out and wait until fall.

Comment

Though not a lawn, farmers sometimes rotate crops or let an area go 'dormant' for a season. It helps invigorate the soil's nutrients a bit. Perhaps suffer through an icky lawn til things cool off a tad while you get ideas. Good luck with the basement work!
      Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

I will vote for cooler weather before trying to start any growth.

If you look around at some higher-end garden stores, you may find grass seeding mats where the seed, starter fertilizer and growing matrix are offered in rolls or sheets.

During the hot weather, you will probably be able to zap most of the lingering weed seeds left in the disturbed soil with weekly spot applications of week killer (Roundup® or Spectricide®)
        Jim
        When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
        Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Dan I am not sure where you live but I am in the heat of North Carolina. Down here we would not reseed until mid September. In the heat even if you watered every day the sun and heat would burn up the tender sprouts.
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I think no matter what method of seeding you use it will still require lots of water. I just saw something advertised that sprays a a mixture of grass seed and green stuff binder.

Like the others have said I would wait till it gets cooler. We completely renovated our back yard a couple of years ago. ripped out old decking and while we were at it had the old orangeburg sewer pipe replaced with PVC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orangeburg_pipe) We were having the same problem as you and sections of the pipe were starting to collapse. Since we were putting in a paver patio we didn't want to risk having to tear it up.

The new seeded lawn required watering three times a day as the new seed needs to be kept moist. This was in the heat of the summer we still ended up with nothing but crab grass and had tear that all out and redo it. We have had a wet spring and I just installed a Rachio smart sprinkler controller to save water.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Wait till its cooler, in the heat of summer alot of grass will go into a dormant like state then when it cools off greans back up. A good fertilizer will help the grass take off, can get a good 10-20-10 which the middle number IIRC is nitrogen makes the grass green and thick, the other 2 numbers one makes the roots grow the other number makes it spread out. Depends on your area and what type of grass you have. Me I am in central Oklahoma an dwe have bermuda grass here. It loves the cooler weather anything about 85 to 90 it starts to slow down and gets brown but loves water, and likes to be cut short about 1.5 to 2 inches.

A quicker way to get grass in the yard at a expense is laying sod, seeding is cheaper but will take longer if can keep the birds from taking off with the seed, plus need to keep it damp or moist don't let it dry out too much or the seed may not take.

For now could clean it up, get rid of any weeds you have but would advise not to use a weed killer like round-up as anything green it will kill it unless you spot spray but will have dead spots and need to spray on a perfect calm day as even a light drift of the spray will carry. Then water it best at night when the sun is going down, if water during the day the sun and heat will just evaporate or dry up what you watered.

Comment

Thank you all.

Yes after doing some looking on the internet I'm inclined to wait until maybe September. I wandered around the front yard last night and it looks like it's clay or what we call around here gumbo. I think it's going to need to be aerated which as I understand it is running something with spikes over the dirt to help break it up because it is so dense and compacted. I'm hoping to eventually do the entire yard. The back yard looks even worse and they didn't even dig back there. Here in central South Dakota it is a terrible drought. I've talked with some friends just a few miles west of here and they've been bringing cattle in to the sale barn almost every other day. My brother in law north of here is all ready worried about having enough hay to feed his cattle this winter.

But at least I'm employed again. It's 4 nine hour days and one four hour day. So at least I'm done by 11:30 on Fridays. I can tell I've spent to much time behind a computer. It requires a lot of lifting and I was more than a little sore those first few weeks. But I must be doing something right. It started out as temporary work and they offered me full time work yesterday.

Dan

Comment

Celebrate the good stuff! Congrats on the new job.
                  Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Glad things are starting to pick up for you Dan! It has always amazed me how quickly our bodies de-tune yet take forever to get back in shape.
                    Rolf

Comment

Congratulations on the new job! Those are great hours, a half day every Friday. Now for the grass. My next door neighbor had a tried and true method for beautiful grass. Every year we had snow, she would scatter grass seed on top of the snow. It snowed, more grass seed. Come Spring, it would start to grow. She got sick about 10 years ago and passed away 2 years ago, and her grass is still beautiful. All it needs is cutting. I tried it, but with 2 kids, assorted animals, friends, a pool we had for about 10 years, baseball area, I just gave up. Now I have a whirlwind 4 year old who thinks part of my yard is a construction site. What would I rather see? Beautiful grass or construction site? You guessed it.
                      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I had never heard the one about grass seed on top of snow. Usually I would go to my dad for things like this and I still miss him not being around. I would have loved to ask him if had ever heard about that. For a lot of years my son and his friends would ride their bikes or sleds down the hill into our backyard. Now that he's about to be a junior in high school I don't think I'll have to worry about him riding his bike or sled down the hill. If he tries it with his pickup I may just have to thump him.

I know my doctor is at least happy for me. I've backed down away from the pre-diabetes stage, cholesterol is down, I've dropped at least 10 pounds, blood pressure is down, seizures have slowed down. I still have a problem with my back by the end of the day. But she's working on manipulating that part and gave me several back excersises to do. She's bound and determined to make me quit smoking. I told her the campus is smoke free and I can't even sneak out for a smoke except at 10 and 2:30. And I should have at least one vice for my wife to jump me about.

Now that I'm full time I'll have access to the weight room and swimming pool 24/7 so I may just go back to swimming again. I'm now working for a place called Saint Josephs Indian School. They do mailings in the 100 of thousands and up to millions. I'm in the mail inserting room and see to that the letters are put in the right totes to mailed all over the world. I'll watch for everybody's name.

Thanks everyone for the ideas and well wishes

Dan

Comment

Well, Dan, lets just say I had an interesting neighbor. I'm happy everything is working out so good for you.
                          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I would find a grass seed mix high in rye grass. It will germinate in less than a week. You can oversees with a better grass seed later when temperatures are down. They also sell quick grow seed mixes. I prefer using straw and not the mats you buy in rolls. I have had problems with the nylon string in the mats eventually tangling in mower wheels and blades.

​​​​​When I seeded some larger area of my lawn in the summer, I built several sprinklers using PVC and sprinkler heads. I also bought some cheap hose and quick couplers to make it easy to water without dragging hoses.

Last edited by Quartz43; 07-20-2017, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Quartz just curious why you didn't do in ground ? It certainly is clever building a manifold with sprinkler heads. My wife and I got tired of dragging hoses all over and decided to go with the in ground sprinkler system.
                              Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X