X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DWSudekum
    Registered User - Level 2
    • Dec 2007

New Toy

I got me a new toy to play with,,, when I have time of course It is a low end 3d printer and it has been an experience and a half getting it set up properly. I will post some pictures as I get things made with it. The process is not fast

DW
    Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
    John Wayne
  • meflick
    Melanie
    • Aug 2009

Leet us know how it goes. I got hubby one for Christmas. He mentioned he would like one and since I had been eyeing one myself - was a great "excuse" to get "him" one. Love when that works out like that. He hasn't had a lot of time to mess with it and I have left it to him to figure out then teach me. I may have to do it myself if he doesn't soon.
    Melanie from East TN

Comment

• hotshot
      Randy
      • Apr 2024

Originally posted by DWSudekum
      I got me a new toy to play with,,,

DW
      Which printer did you settle on? I think Steve D Good has been playing with his "Monoprice" brand. Those printer are getting down to the "Impulse Buy" buying point. There are so many to chose from, it hurts my brain.
      "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

• DWSudekum
        • Dec 2007

That is the one that I got as well. I found the price point well worth it. There is a VERY steep learning curve on how to make the 3d printer files however there are a TON of them all ready out there ready to use.

DW
        John Wayne

Comment

• Rolf
          The WoodMeister
          • Apr 2005

I do love new toys! I agree that the prices are getting so low for these things. What will you be making with it.? Now it seems you can't buy the parts and build one for less than one that is ready to go. Looking forward to seeing what you create.

So many toys so little time. I want either a 3d printer, a laser writer (for engraving Don't burn me at the stake) build a CNC router (X-Carve) or buy a TIG welder.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

• DWSudekum
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Rolf
            I do love new toys! I agree that the prices are getting so low for these things. What will you be making with it.? Now it seems you can't buy the parts and build one for less than one that is ready to go. Looking forward to seeing what you create.

So many toys so little time. I want either a 3d printer, a laser writer (for engraving Don't burn me at the stake) build a CNC router (X-Carve) or buy a TIG welder.
            Your toys sound a lot like my wish list Of course I need an 1100 sq foot shop... but that is another story.

DW
            John Wayne

Comment

• Rolf
              The WoodMeister
              • Apr 2005

OH yea, I forgot about space, I have none.
              Rolf

Comment

• hotshot
                Randy
                • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Rolf
                or buy a TIG welder.
                I was already short on space, but got the welding bug, and bought a cheap lotus tig/plasma cutter. Playing with fire, now that is fun. It actually works pretty good, but should have bought the AHP as it is the best feature rich TIG in that price range and it does AC so you can do aluminum if you wish. Also has pulse and a lots of "knobs" to play with.

The lasers capable of doing the deep cutting are still cost prohibitive. Saw some at the show, and they are impressive, but didn't see anyone lining up to buy them. The part of the laser that appeals to me is recessed inlay or marquetry. We have a maker space in our community, but not sure what they have available yet. I suspect they do not have a laser capable of the deeper cutting required for inlay.

$215 for a 3d printer, or perhaps the model right above it might be doable. Plus, the 3d printer can go in the house, so it doesn't take shop space.
                Last edited by hotshot; 04-21-2017, 10:07 AM.
                "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

• DWSudekum
                  • Dec 2007

I have been looking into building a small foundry,,,, but then I am interested in so many things hehe

DW
                  John Wayne

Comment

• Rolf
                    The WoodMeister
                    • Apr 2005

And of course there is glass blowing, sigh.
                    Randy I have a Mig welder (gas) but want to sell it and buy the AHP, seems to have the best reviews. I have a tube chassis and some aluminum bits in my TVR that I want to repair.
                    Rolf

Comment

• evilbadger
                      • Jul 2009

You guys are going to get me in trouble now I'll have to look at 3D printers again. I might see if I can build a laser head for the CNC router table. If I can just swap the router with the laser it would save room. Not sure what other tools you have DW but I know my 1100 sq ft garage has gotten pretty tight so you may want to go bigger.
                      Tim

If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will pay for it and not have it

Comment

• Rolf
                        The WoodMeister
                        • Apr 2005

1100 sq ft! WOW It is a good thing I don't have anywhere near that much space. Tim you could just add the laser next to the router and just put in an offset. It would be nice to be able to laser engrave, some of my work
                        Last edited by Rolf; 04-23-2017, 04:53 PM.
                        Rolf

Comment

• evilbadger
                          • Jul 2009

Hmm never thought about doing an offset thanks for the idea Rolf. I think my next project is going to be building the 4th axis for the router. The router will do engraving also Rolf figuring out how to clamp the pieces can be tricky though. I've been turning pens more than anything lately and getting a few requests to engrave names on them so figured if I do a 4th axis I can rotate the pens.

The 1100 sq ft has pretty much the complete woodworking tools and also the metal working tools. The lathe and mill take up a lot of space. I had a small foundry but ended up selling it. I did get a few good castings in but found out the hard way that trying to recycle old material is better left to the professionals, When I used new stock and melted it down the castings came out great but no matter how hard I tried with old stuff it didn't work so well.

I guess I should post some pictures of some of the more recent projects even though they weren't scrolling.
                          Tim

If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will pay for it and not have it

Comment

• Wood Dog
                            Sweeeeet
                            • Jun 2007

Right on target topic.....this video came into my view this morning. A CNC, Laser, and 3D Printer all in one machine. Cost ??????

Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

• DWSudekum
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Wood Dog
                              Right on target topic.....this video came into my view this morning. A CNC, Laser, and 3D Printer all in one machine. Cost ??????
                              BOXZY can be gotten for ~$3000
                              John Wayne

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                                Reply to Well it is done.
                                by Rolf
                                Are you right or left handed? Be patient and let it heal!!!. Back in 2002 I shattered my right elbow. I am very right hand dominant. It amazed me how short my left arm was. šŸ˜²
                                Today, 08:00 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Well it is done.
                                by NC Scroller
                                This is my new look for the next 6+ weeks. Wish my wife and I luck. Iā€™m likely to go stir crazy and take her along with me.

Today, 07:18 AM
                              • Stephen Dewing
                                Reply to Marc Tovar MLT-13 Wooden Clock
                                by Stephen Dewing
                                Thank you for your replies, especially the dimensions of the cruch. Very helpful. Thank you. This is the book I got the clock from. Apart from the diameter of the brass rod, it doesn't have any other dimensions. ā€‹...
                                Today, 03:09 AM
                              • Don in Brooklin On
                                Reply to Archive CD Volume 7
                                by Don in Brooklin On
                                I was going to order and I was having lots of difficulties with the website so I wrote to them and got the following which states they will put on thumb drive. This was a couple of months ago and so I will try again. The shipping was huge and so I was going to send to my sister in Myrtle Beach I could...
                                04-16-2024, 12:30 PM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Reply to Archive CD Volume 7
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                Now I wish they were on thumb drive as both the desk and laptop do not have drives for CD
                                04-16-2024, 09:54 AM
                              Working...