Tools for Catalpa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools for Catalpa

Have seen some pictures of carvings done in Catalpa and it looks like an interesting wood. The question is - does it carve well with hand tools? Have never touched a piece of the stuff, so before I buy any .....

Comment

Re: Tools for Catalpa

Thanks, sounds like I'll give it a go. The grain is what I am after. Will be using knives, chisels and gouges only and if its too smelly can move outside. Actually, I do most of my carving outside. Nothing quite as relaxing as sitting outside carving with the dog at your feet and a big old chew of tobacco, but gave up the nasty stuff years ago, so have to settle for carving and the dog.

Comment

Have no info on tools for Catalpa. However, regarding toxicity, check out:

http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/plant...i?symbol=CASP8

This is the US Dept. of Agriculture site, and, in a nutshell, it states the toxicity of Catalpa as nil. My belief is that the dust could still be an irritant to some, and protective measures should be taken as needed. Just FYI

Comment

Not worried about the toxicity ... already had cancer so am immune .... just kidding about immune (not the cancer) ... will check it out don't need to try the been threre done that routine with the big c.

Comment

I have never carved Catalpa but if you want a really pleasant wood to carve, try Sasafrass (Somebody who cares should check that spelling.) When green, it has a really wonderful aroma and is very nice to carve. It makes great walking sticks. Having said that, I fully expect someone to make a post telling me that Sasafrass is either an endangered species or smelling it causes brain hemoroids.

Comment

Comment

Thank Y'all for the info going to give Slim's Woodshed a call and get a chunk of the catalpa in the not too far distant future. This hobby is a never ending learning process. It's good to have a place like this to go to and get info and help when you need it.

Captain - As for the sassafras that's another one I'm going to have to try. As for the brain hemroids; I doubt it, looked it up in my tree book just now and found the following: 'Aromatic leaves, bark twigs, and roots yield oils used in soaps. Sassafras tea, a spring tonic of bygone years is made by biling roots or bark.' So after a sassafras carving session I ought to be clean and sassy. Another sectin says it's oils are used in perfumes and drugs. Sounds like a cure all to me. Time to head for the woods, trusty axe in hand.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X