Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do now

Can't sleep and didn't sleep much last night anyway,

My son had his first accident last night. He called his mom and she came and got me at work. She said Brady was in an accident and we needed to come. He told his mom he was on the gravel out by Reliance and Dad would know where. Well, there's two or three different gravel roads that lead to the town of Reliance. She called to find out exactly what direction he was and to call 911. By the time we got out there it was cold and starting to get dark. I was under the impression that his pickup had just gone into the ditch. When we came up over the hill I was shocked, there was his pickup upside down in the ditch. His mom was an emotional wreck when she saw the pickup. Someone had stopped and asked him if he was all right. Brady told him he was and he was just waiting for us. The farmer told him to get in his pickup so he would stay warm and he would wait until we got there. I knew the name but did not really know the man but I'm grateful he stopped.

He was coming around a curve and lost control, I don't know if it was because of the bumps in the gravel, ice, loose gravel or a combination. But the deputy sheriff and I both agreed that if the ditch hadn't been full of snow he may have rolled more than once. And even though he wasn't wearing a seat belt and Brady said he wasn't going that fast he walked away without any cuts or bruises. He told us he simply turned the pickup off, finished pushing out the window and crawled out and called his mom. I just can't believe how lucky he was.

We'll have to go look at his pickup today in the daylight. It was hard to tell in the dark how bad it was. I'm not a car guy so I'm not sure what to look for or what questions to ask. But a friend of mine said he would come and look at it for us either Friday or Saturday and we'll have to decide if it's worth fixing. All I could see last night is that one of the windows in back was broken out and neither of the doors looked pushed in.

It's the kind of call I hope I never have to get again.

Dan

Happy that he is OK !. Cars can be repaired or replaced.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Hello Dan,
      Very sorry for the cause of your lack of sleep. You came to the spot where your friends do care. Thankfully your son is OK. The decisions of today will be OK. Good Luck.
      Floyd
      ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♥♥

Comment

Wow, that must be a scare. A parents nightmare. Glad he is ok. I agree with Rolf.
        Denny
        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

www.sandyoaksonline.com

Comment

Thank GOD is was no worse. Had a friend once who rolled a new station wagon. While the body looked pretty good the frame was twisted. The insurance totaled it
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Glad your son was alright and nobody else was involved. You are right, there is nothing scarier then getting that phone call (even when it is your kid calling him or herself) to say that they have been in an accident. You pray every day that it doesn't happen, but figure it will sooner or later. I got mine a year and a half ago, my son's last week of high school - he was headed back to school for baseball practice. Hadn't been gone long when I got the call - he said "Mom, I've had an accident but I'm alright but I need you to come here". I called him by name and said what happened and he immediately said - Mom - it wasn't my fault!" LOL He seemed to think that I would just know WHERE he was - so at first I thought he was just outside our house/driveway so went to look - nobody there so I had to go and call him back and say where are you. Long story short - it wasn't his fault, an elderly lady had pulled out in front of him from a stop sign - said she didn't see him. It did total his car however. Was thankful both were alright because the car(s) could be replaced but people can't be.
            Melanie from East TN

Comment

Glad things turned out as well as they did. Best of luck.
              "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
              Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Sorry to hear that Dan my son just started diving and this is one call I never get. Hope the truck is fixable. Jeff
                If someone has great passion for what they do, it is not considered work

Jeff Robinson
                Panama City Fl.
                Cutting with EX-21

Comment

The good Lord was with him if all that happened was that his truck flipped but he himself was ok. Glad that he was not hurt. Posessions can be replaced people can not. Glad that this has turned out in a good way Dan.

DW
                  Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
                  John Wayne

Comment

Thank you everyone for the kind words and thoughts. Looked at the pickup yesterday and all I can see is two broken windows and the roof punched down. Hopefully my friend can tell us a little more this weekend as to whether it can be driven. Went back out to the site yesterday and found a few more things that had been thrown out of his pick up. Walked up the road a bit and did not see any signs of hot rodding or that he went thru the corner to fast or that he fish tailed. I do now really believe the snow helped him a lot. By the time I got to where the pickup had been I was knee deep in snow. Attached is a picture of what greeted us as we came over the hill that night.

Dan

Comment

Definitely a scary view but at least your wife had spoken to him so you already knew he was probably alright. Hope it is fixable.
                      Melanie from East TN

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• tgiro01
                        Reply to Business Cards
                        tgiro01
                        I print mine using folded card stock. I keep around a dozen in each car and set out 40 - 50 at each showing ( and have run out a coupe times). I know they work because people come back - email or call.

Here is the outside and inside of the cards...
                        Today, 08:50 PM
                      • Wild Bill
                        Reply to My 56 Chevy project
                        Wild Bill
                        Very nice. I think I know what is giving the bad eye. The front bumper needs to have a small bit shaved off on the right side. It looks as if there is a bump hanging down. I see it in the picture also. I think that it has to do with the lighting. I would take a straight edge and lay it on the...
                        Today, 07:12 PM
                      • hotshot
                        Reply to My 56 Chevy project
                        hotshot
                        What is this "fuming" method?
                        Today, 03:51 PM
                      • Sandy Oaks
                        Reply to Dream Catcher with Butterfly
                        Sandy Oaks
                        This item was purchased at ArtCrafters today. I may have to make more.
                        Today, 03:21 PM
                      • Rolf
                        Reply to vet THANK YOU
                        Rolf
                        i am sure they appreciated them! They look great.
                        Today, 03:17 PM
                      Working...
                      X