Reciprocating Tool, What to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reciprocating Tool, What to buy?

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what kind of reciprocating tool to buy. Ryobi? AutoMach? Proxxon?WeCheer? Anything else?? I plan on using Flexcut gouges, but don't know which tool would be best. My carving projects are mostly small to medium and I was going to get this to mostly do roughouts. And how are these thing with detail work anyway?? Just wanting to getting advantages/disadvantages from you carvers who have had experience with these things. Thank you.

Skratch
    http://www.geocities.com/skratch145/brad

Re: Reciprocating Tool, What to buy?

Hi,I dont have a reciprocating carver anymore{had a Ryobi,it bit the dust.Cant get new ones anymore,stopped making them.}From previous posts on the subject the general consenses seems to lean towards 'Auto-mach'.That is the one I,ll be trying out soon{I hope}.Maybe someone else can give you more info on the subject,but the Automach is the one I lean towards.Hope this helped abit.

Comment

My first reciprocating carver was the Ryobi - it used to sell for a mere $59 and did a pretty good job. They don't make it anymore, but I've seen them for sale on eBay. I still have mine and used it until just a few months ago, when I bought my first Automach. WOW The difference is like chocolate and vanilla. The Automach will run you about $300, but it's worth every penny. It carves circles around the Ryobi. I use it for knocking off the big chunks of wood and getting the shape of my carving. You can do detail with it, as well, although I don't. That's just my preference, though..when it comes down to the details, I prefer to use hand and chisel.

I have since bought a second Automach - I like to have two so I'm not changing chisel blades all the time, and also I don't want to be stuck if one of them breaks. I use them ALOT - they take very little upkeep - just have to keep them well greased and change the motor brushes every 300 hours or so. It's a workhorse.

Teri

Comment

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

Callynne, I use the Flexcut blades with my Automach. They come with an adapter that makes them fit. I used the Automach blades only once - when I first got it - just to see what they could do. They were fine...but I'm stuck on the Flexcut - they hold an edge beautifully, stay nice and sharp with regular stropping, and come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, etc.

If you're waiting for that Ryobi to die before you buy an Automach, you may have a long wait. I still have my Ryobi, it still works fine, and I bought it maybe 15 years ago. Granted, I didn't use it for a long time, but when I picked it up again this year, it still worked just as well. It's a good machine...just not nearly the power as the Automach will give you.

Teri

Comment

Check out the ArborTech Powerchisel at www.arbortech.com.au/productinfo/prodinfo.html. Although the gouge selection is limited the machine outperforms anything else on the market. If they would work out a deal with Flexcut for gouges it would be perfect. I have the Ryobi, Skil and a reciprocating hand piece for my Foredom and they are gathering dust except on rare occasions. The powerchisel is available in the US in either a complete unit or just the powerchisel mechanism to attach to a 4' - 4 1/2' angle grinder. There was an article in WCI, I believe, and I can't recall which one, about using it in a charity carve in Vegas and another one about making a small carving. Incidently, I do not have any connection with the Arbortech company.

Viejo

Comment

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

Nope - wait til you make your first $300, and then RE-INVEST that money into an Automach. That re-investing is just what I did...til I got the tools I wanted....and now my carving is easier, faster, etc....so then making the next $300 is just that much easier.

Teri

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X