Chisels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chisels

Does anyone have any experience with Henry Taylor Chisels? I'm thinking of buying a set of detail,palm chisels.
    Safety first

Re: Chisels

Hi,
    I picked up some of the larger ones, last year.
    Great steel but they needed to be sharpened before use.
    So check that out first and go for it.
    I sure like the flex-cut brand, they come razor sharp and always strop up nice.
    michele

Comment

I've had a Taylor 'dog-leg' chisle for a few years and am satisfied with it. It did need some sharpening when I bought it, but came up just fine. I looked at several others but the edges were not up to par, so I got other brands.

Al

Comment

I have a few of the full size tools and they are a decent tool. They don't have the sweet edge of my swiss tools though, but the price is more appealling.

Dave

Comment

I am with Chele on this one. I tried the taylor and flexicut side by side at the store and loved the Flexicut.

Comment

Just to add a little confusion - I've got flexcuts, stubai, and warren (made permanent handles for them) and my flexcuts are gathering dust ... they are a good tool and hold an edge well, but the reasons I prefer the others is:
            The flexcuts seem to flex when I don't want them to and come out of the cut before it's done (probably operator error but I ain't changin)
            The palm handles become very unconfortable when you turn the tool over and try to make a cut the the opposite side.

I'd buy one or two of each and try them to see which you prefer, then again I'm a sucker for tools (not just carving tools either).

Comment

I have no experience with Taylor but like Fat Eddy I will buy a tool first and ask questions later. My first set was an $8 set from a truckload tool (scam) sale that rolled through town. I found I liked making very little boards out of a big board. Next I marched into the local Coast to Coast store and Geno my local co-dependant hardware store operator (he is dependant on my whims to buy something and I depend on his enthusiasm for my hardware hobby of the month) looked through his catalogs and ordered me a 12 piece set of Freud mallet tools and a mallet. I bet you didn't know Freud made carving tools. They are reasonable quality tools, swiss, but too thick and too long its more like a 12 piece sword set. Since then like Eddy suggested I have bought a few tools of a few brands and am rapidly becoming a full blown Flexcut fan. They sharpen with a couple strokes on the strop and the idea of the 'flex' seems to work for me. I have given the set numbers and the phone number of the Hummel Co to anyone I hope to get a Christmas present from in high hopes of adding some more Flexcut to my tool set. Splinter did the side by side and I think he is right. Eddy do you want to part with those palm tools you are disappointed in?
              Ah Chip

Comment

Ah Chip - I'd never part with a tool, might come handy someday. That's why my shop and garage a splitting at the seams. It's in there somewhere all I gotta do is find it.

Comment

So, what's the deal with the Flexcut chisels? I'm assuming by the name that they flex? I've seen them, just never used them. Aren't they hard to control?

I'm using a Lee Valley tools set right now which are a pretty good but I'm sure there are better one's out there. I got them 3 years ago when I started carving and now I'm heavily into it, so I thought I'd move up to a better brand.

I think I like Splinter's idea, I'll try a few out and see what I think.

Safety first

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Quartz43
                    Reply to Scroll Saw Shells
                    by Quartz43
                    I would not use regular plywood but Baltic Birch is different. On Steve Garrisons Facebook page someone posted a shell with either Baltic Birch or something like Spectraply. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of tearing or splintering with either cutting or sanding.

Using solid...
                    Today, 09:09 AM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to countdown for Bruce.
                    by will8989
                    Bruce took the “zipper”ff today. Yep, the stitches were zipper type. When we were packing up at the market Sunday, the coffee vendor asked if we wanted a taste of his chocolate whiskey coffee. We said no thanks. After driving to Annapolis in the truck today to get Elliott, Bruce said he was going...
                    Yesterday, 10:12 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Scroll Saw Shells
                    by will8989
                    I usually don’t use plywood, but I think it works beautifully with these patterns. On my to do list in January.
                    Yesterday, 10:02 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Back in the saddle again
                    by will8989
                    I enlarge and shrink patterns all time. I use rapid resizer. I did locate some scrap wood that would be perfect for the smaller size. I also mad some of the nativity Steve had a week ago. I’m taking stuff to the market for feedback. Of the 11 ornaments I took last week I came home with 3. Guess you...
                    Yesterday, 09:59 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Starting again
                    by will8989
                    And to do something different. I’m trying to schedule part or a whole day to bowl grinding. Of course, we had a 7 year old visitor most of the day as he had a half day today. So much for using the grinder. instead I put a bandaid on a scratch on his elbow so he “wouldn’t bleed to death”. Than...
                    Yesterday, 09:55 PM
                  Working...
                  X