Sharpening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharpening

I've sharpened my gouges with success in the past, but recently I was given a gouge that defies sharpening. The gouge body is of black metal and the word England is stamped on the shank. Other than that, I don't know the manufacturer. Today I tried to sharpen it. I put a 20 degree bevel on it, honed it until I coundn't see light reflecting on the edge and then stroped it. When I stroped it, the edge crumbled into a jagged edge. I thougt that perhaps the gouge was made for a larger bevel, so I rebeveled it with a 30 degree angle, honed and stroped it until it shaved the hair on my wrist. However, it wouldn't even cut across the grain of white pine at all. What am I doing wrong? I guess I'll just shave my wrists until I get some answers.

Also, does anyone know where I can get some aluminum oxide strope abrasive?

Re: Sharpening

Crubling sounds like it's just some poor quality metal. I was givin a set of gouges that a friend picked up at a flea market. They had no manufacturing mark at all. I gave them a good sharpening and on the first cut (also Pine) my edge looked like a shark bite.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
      Reply to Planer and jointer opinions wanted
      by will8989
      Our feed belt keeps moving but Bruce did adjust it the other day when I was done and this is the first time I’ve used it. It kept getting louder so I bet that’s it or it just isn’t tight. Will check it in the morning. Thanks.
      Yesterday, 11:26 PM
    • Rolf
      by Rolf
      Betty is the feed belt centered? Do you hear it when the drum is spinning or when just the feed belt is on?
      I have had the sanding belt stretch, they do that over time, and there was enough hanging out to just kiss the table.
      Yesterday, 03:30 PM
    • Bill Wilson
      Reply to Winter issue
      by Bill Wilson
      I got mine the other day. Also noticed a dearth of Christmas themed projects. I don't recall seeing much Christmas stuff in the Fall issue either. I look forward to new ornament ideas, but those were lacking this year.

I do understand some of the constraints in publishing a magazine these...
      Yesterday, 02:49 PM
    • Bill Wilson
      by Bill Wilson
      Well, this topic can present a lot of opinions and options. First, if you are seriously considering helical cutting heads, would you take the next step and upgrade to a stationary, floor model planer? Perhaps even a used one. I don't know how much space you have and what your shop power options are,...
      Yesterday, 02:13 PM
    • will8989
      by will8989
      Our super max has been making a noise that sounds like paper caught but we can’t pinpoint anything. Cleaned what we could, Bruce used dry lubricant, which sounds like an oxymoron to me, and still makes the noise. Started quietly now is louder. Any suggestions before we call for warranty work? I’m...
      Yesterday, 01:57 PM
    Working...
    X