Aluminum Oxide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Oxide

Someone was looking for aluminum oxide strop compound.

It's in Little Mountain Carving Supply's catalog

http://.littlemountaincaving.com

or 1-800-752-7573

http://www.littlemountaincarving.com

Comment

Re: Aluminum Oxide

I guess I'm just a hardware store nut, but try the jewelers rough from the local hardware store for stropping. Works as good as anything I've found. They also carry tripolli and a white grade, which is a mite coarser.

Al

Comment

I have a couple of bars of rouge, red, green but when I try to put them on my strop, they are so hard they crumble, so a bought a bar, can't think of the name, but is dense but soft enough to stick to my strop....much easier to use, and knives come out better as well.

Comment

I've had two bars like that; hard and crumbly, but they work well on the buffing wheel. I picked up a much softer bar at a silver jeweler's supply in santa Fe, last spring and it loads onto the strop great.

Al

Comment

You can pick up a variety of powdered grit sizes at stores that cater to people who polish gem stones and the like. I'm not sure if it's aluminum oxide or not but it is a grinding compound.
            For those hard to use bars, a shot of WD40 might help to soften them a bit. 8)

Comment

Try spraying the WD40 directly onto the strop and then rubbing the compound on it. I've been doing that for years and it seems to work fine with jewelers rouge. Don't do it with Yellowstone, though. Scrape Yellowstone off the block onto the strop and work it in.

Comment

Try using a ******* file on Yellowstone. File over a piece of paper. The paricles will drop on the paper and can then placed on the strop. When the file loads up, just tap it on the paper and the Yellowstone will come out. I always fill up a 35mm film cannister with the powder, then I don't have to mess with it when I'm carving.

Butch
                Take care,&&Butch &&&&I know there's a carving somewhere in all that extra wood!

Comment

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

Dear Callynne,
                    Those thingy files, my husband collects them. I really don't know why. That and draw knives. I think it is a guy thing.
                    I will admit it I was just tempted to use a Y on that last thing.. Michele

Comment

Hate to interrupt that thread, but need to thank the Captain for the WD-40 idea. Sprayed in right on the strop, hit it with the jewlers rouge and stropped away. Seems to work better than just the straight rouge also. Alright, back to the thingy thing.

Comment

Nancy_G,

Thanks for the Little Mountain information.

Comment

Re; the ******* files. that refers to the type of cut. ******* is the first or rough cut, followed by fine, and then extra fine. Anything coarser than ******* cut is a rasp; at least if memory serves me right.

Hope this helps a little.

Al

Comment

Oh, okay, so I can call you a ******* - just not a dick (richard).

Teri :

Comment

SCL, sounds like you are feeling better.
                              Can you have any leftovers yet?
                              Back to the topic:The WD tip Thanks..
                              Michele

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X