Curious about Sycamore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious about Sycamore

:-/I came by some sycamore wood, and I was curious as to it's carving possibilities. If anyone can help me with some information,I would sure appreciate it. Thanks,Redbone.

Re: Curious about Sycamore

I don't know a thing about sycamore, except that in the past week or two, I read where it is a decent carving wood? With no more than that to go on...I would try some :-/ :

Comment

I just got a log from a tree cut down at my office. It carves well when wet. A little tougher than basswood. Although, I'm sure it will be real hard after drying. Ask me again next year.
      Its got nice color.

Noel

Comment

If it carves good when wet you'd best get to carving because when it's dry it nasty. Real pretty grain if cut right, but the pretty stuff is the problem, runs all directions. Probably o.k. powercarved. Wouldn't know, but know about hand tools. Got three pieces left that I'm gonna have to tackle some day (after I finish my Crrismant carving I guess).

Comment

O.K. back to the sycamore after the interuption. If you carve it green I don't think you'll run into any checking or cracking problems because the picce I sawed up into carving stock was in my woodshed for two or three years with no treatment what-so-ever and there isn't crack or check one in it. The peach I put in there at the same time is so full of cracks it's almost unusable (except for bbq brisket, for that it's great). It's not real hard when cured, just has that gnarly grain. If you use real sharp tools, small cuts, and really watch the grain you should be o.k. Although, I think I'd use rifflers for the detail work and not take a chance on the grain tearing.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X