X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain_Bandaid
    replied
    Re: Schrade 340T's

:-[ Well, I went down to the Old Hardware Store and evidently everyone heard about his pocket knife sale. Not much left when I got there. Not that I would have bought anything...he marked everything up 20% and then took 20% off! I found my old Schrade 340T and honed and stropped it up like new and didn't spend a dime.

Leave a comment:

• FK
    replied

The Schrade Old Timer knives all have high carbon 1095 steel blades which is excellent.

The Schrade Uncle Henry are all stainless steel which is adequate but IMHO not as good for holding an edge.

Regards,
    FK

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I used to work in one of those old time hardwares, and you are right,they were a piece of Americana, and in a way it is a shame to see them fade into obscurity, but the craftsmen who were their main clientelle have been rplaced by CAD-CAM, computerized machinery that just dont require that type of supply any longer. Can't say if it's all for the better or worse, but I miss the old style service we used to give.. My old boss knew more about more than anyone I'VE EVER MET!

Al

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

thats too bad! Those old hardware stores were a great piece of Americana....I really hate to see them go...besides...you could always find what you needed in them :-[

Leave a comment:

• Captain_Bandaid
    replied

I live in a small town in western TN and we have a hardware store down on the Court Square that is the oldest continuously operating hardware store in TN and probably the US. It is an amazing old time place. They just announced they were closing due to competition from Wal-mart and Lowes. He is the oldest Case Knife Dealer in the US and everything in the store goes on sale after Thanksgiving at 20% off. I am going to go snag one of those Case carving knives......just what I need, another carving knife. :P

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    http://www.schradeknives.com/index.htm[/quote]

While the site is still up it is the sad truth that Imperial Schrade closed it's doors on July 30th 2004 leaving 250 workers looking for jobs.

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/site/new...=461&rfi=9

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I just looked at the scharade webb site
    it is still up and says the company celebrating 100 year in 2004

http://www.schradeknives.com/index.htm

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I glanced at the schrades again and this time was 19.95 for the 340T? (first time was 14.95). Maybe I will wait til Friday and see what happens at our wallyworld :

Leave a comment:

• BasketballJones
    replied

Was told that on Black Friday, Wallyworld will be reducing the price and unloading their stock. Woodcraft already has the price reduced.

Question: If I can't get both or three at the same place should I pick the Shrade Old Timer Middleman, 2 and 3 blade, or the Shrade Uncle Henry 3 blade. I am tempted to jump on the Shrades now as I fear they will be gone.

Also Woodcraft has their Japanese Carving knives reduced from 19.99 to 9.99.

Mind you I totally despise shopping the day after Thanksgiving and my strong stable marriage can only survive one general shopping location. And my wife has to literally drag me out of Woodcraft.

Thanks Ken

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Mikeg,
    The Old Timer S-44OT Stockman 4 Blade is an old favorite for carving. Schrade discontinued the knive some years ago and then made another run of 44-OT knives about 2-3 years ago.
    You found a gem at a great price, high carbon steel blades that will hold a great edge. You must reprofile the factory secondary bevel before enjoying the knife completely.

Regards,
    Fred Krow

Leave a comment:

• mikeg
    replied

On www.knifecountry.com

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    [/quote]

Yes it is. :'(
    As a fan and avid collector of Imperial/Schrade/Old Timer/Uncle Henry pocketknives I will now have to work harder to complete my collection before the prices start to rise. I got three Old Timers and a Schrade last week on closeout at my local farm supply store.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

It is listed at 14.95in this part of florida.But they were out of stock.They have a different model for 19.95 .The Swiss army knives hold an edge pretty well. Have one for 30 yrs.

Leave a comment:

• Gun
    replied

Is it really true that scrade really closed for good? :'(

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Same here in Florida, $19.95. Very rarely have sales on knives here.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X