Tricks of the Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tricks of the Trade

I thought perhaps we could share some of our personal tricks of the trade or special tools we have aquired during our short careers as wood carvers, or as in my case 'wood butcher'.
    One of my favorite tools is one of those nut tools that you dig out on thanksgiving to dig those nuts out of the shells. I borrowed a couple from the silverware drawer and have modified it slightly to use as detail tools. The hook end works great for getting burrs around the undercuts. On one of them I ground the round end down and sharpened it to a very tiny chisel for cleanup. Let's here your ideas.
    Cheers
    Ric

Re: Tricks of the Trade

Ok, how do you pick the meat out of the nut now that you appropriated it for carving? LOL! Some other ideas for getting those fuzzies out:
    1. Dental Tools: Harbor Freight sells them for cheap.
    2. Use your woodburner (you do have a woodburner, don't you?). Does a good job of incinerating fuzzy 'Klingons'.
    3. Needle files. Again, Harbor Freight has a set of 12 diamond needle files for about $12.
    4. Pointed razor knives.

Did I miss any? ???

Comment

Just ask your dentist for some old ones. I'm too thrifty (read cheap) to buy anything I can get for free. I asked my dentist for some and he gave me a whole handfull of different shapes. All I had to do was put on the edge that I wanted. Ok so I did return the favor and gave him a golf ball carved to look like him. His assistants gave me a picture to work off of. He liked except he thought that I left to much hair off. TonyB

Comment

Speaking of the dentist, hit him up for some used dental burrs, they work great in a dremel.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X