• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FK
    replied
    Re: Stropping thoughts

Cliff,
    Thanks for the posting, I had the impression that Jewler's Rouge is the pink or red colored compound for final mirror polish on soft or precious metals. A search did find many other compounds listed under jewler's rouge.

A detailed list of compounds can be found on this site:

http://www.swmetal.com/compounds.htm...0b5fe80b8690c7

Regards,
    FK

Leave a comment:

• Bandaid
    replied

Thx for the reply guys...I'll check with the local outlets to see if they handle yellowstone and give it a try.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Actually, 'jewelers rouge' is a common name for any of several abrasive/wax compounds used to polish metals. The blue, green, and grey compounds are more aggressive and are used for iron, steel, and stainless, while the red, white, and yellow are slower cutting and are usually used for softer metals.

Good whittlin, Cliff

Leave a comment:

• FK
    replied

Yellowstone will give a mirror finish on hardend steel. It is a very fine Aluminum Oxide powder, it cuts agressively when freshly applied yet gives a very fine finish. If you are intending to give it a test,,,,,you must use a new leather strop. Do not apply Yellowstone to an older strop with existing compound. Tandy Leather has low cost scrap leather pieces that can be glued to a board for very inexpensive strops.

Jewlers Rouge is designed for soft metals like silver, gold and brass. It will work however, it takes a much longer time to polish out an edge.

Regards,
    FK

Leave a comment:

• Bandaid
    replied

I've heard about yellowstone stropping compound but have never used it. Can someone tell me if it's coarser or finer than jewelers rouge?

Leave a comment:

• FK
    replied

I have the same experience with Herb Dunkle's Yellowstone, tried many other compounds and this is my favorite.

I spoke at length with Herb several years ago at his table, the strop must be new, dry leather for the Yellowstone, do not use an old strop with some other material preloaded.

The second factor is to use very thin leather, Herb sells strops with a very thin 1/32' pigskin covering. This will ensure the edge remains flat, a thick leather strop will flex under the sharp edge and cause it to roll or change angle and thicken the edge after time.

Herb also cautioned to make your stroke with the knife and STOP, then lift the knife straight up from the strop. Many carvers will flip the knife at the end, like a barber sharpening his razor, this will round the bevel and make the knife less efficient.

Why is it pink? I never received a complete answer, apparently the first manufactured run was more yellow and the process was improved and the newer binder is pink.

It works very well, whatever the color.

Regards,
    FK

Leave a comment:

• FK
    replied

I have the same experience with Herb Dunkle's Yellowstone, tried many other compounds and this is my favorite.

I spoke at length with Herb several years ago at his table, the strop must be new, dry leather for the Yellowstone, do not use an old strop with some other material preloaded.

The second factor is to use very thin leather, Herb sells strops with a very thin 1/32' pigskin covering. This will ensure the edge remains flat, a thick leather strop will flex under the sharp edge and cause it to roll or change angle and thicken the edge after time.

Herb also cautioned to make your stroke with the knife and STOP, then lift the knife straight up from the strop. Many carvers will flip the knife at the end, like a barber sharpening his razor, this will round the bevel and make the knife less efficient.

Why is it pink? I never received a complete answer, apparently the first manufactured run was more yellow and the process was improved and the newer binder is pink.

It works very well, whatever the color.

Regards,
    FK

Leave a comment:

• Captain_Bandaid
    replied

Eddie, if they called it 'Pinkstone' us macho carvers wouldn't buy it.

Leave a comment:

• FatEddy
    started a topic Stropping thoughts

Stropping thoughts

Why is yellowstone called yellowstone? It don't look yellow to me.

If you used it, strop it, it's already dull. It's only sharp if you haven't used it yet.

I'd been using hardware buffing compound and thought it was great. Then I used some of the yellow stuff Flexcut sells and thought it was greater. Then I got some yellowstone from Little Shavers and forgot the other stuff exists.

Have tried lots of different materials for making strops and what seems to work best for me is the rough side of an old leather glove glued to a piece of maple. The glove is about the right thickness and the maple gives a good solid support. Tried cedar, pine, basswood and mahogany; none of which worked real well.

Made a strop out of a deer hide that I had tanned and it was terrible, too soft and too thick.

What an exciting past time, building strops, sheesh.

Well, back to whittling on my fisherman.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
    Reply to YoraHome Laser w/CNC Engraver/Router
    by Linda In Phoenix
    New toys sometimes become tools we can use, and other times they simply are tools toward expanding our horizons and being there when an idea pops into our heads. Let us know what you try the Ortur on and how it does. I'm sincerely curious. Also....why did you choose Amazon vs the other vendors...
    Yesterday, 11:47 PM
  • will8989
    What is it?
    by will8989
    Bruce was bored and made this. What is it?...
    Yesterday, 10:57 PM
  • will8989
    Reply to First you need to make a mess
    by will8989
    It was a challenge that’s for sure. I didn’t start anything until I was all finished. It’s nice to have a clean area to work in! My biggest challenge was all those pieces of scrap wood that I just might need “someday.” They burned well in my son’s woodstove. And I did get through all the patterns....
    Yesterday, 10:54 PM
  • tgiro01
    Reply to First you need to make a mess
    by tgiro01
    Wow - Betty, what do you charge. I have things to do and I'm in the process of cleaning my shop, just to have room to do it. My problem is that I get the work bench cleared and then start working on projects again. I really need to do the workbench last.
    Yesterday, 10:05 PM
  • tgiro01
    Reply to YoraHome Laser w/CNC Engraver/Router
    by tgiro01
    I ordered and received the ORTUR Laser Master 2 from Amazon, the but haven't had a chance to even get it out of the box. Too much going
    on right now. I got the 20 watt version, which is supposed to be good for cutting, but I don't think I'll be doing much of that. There will be a learning curve...
    Yesterday, 09:57 PM
Working...
X