Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BALSAWOOD

Years ago when i first started carving I used to make kachina
    dolls out of balsa. I was just doing forms and didn't need a great deal of detail on the carvings. Last week my father told me he found a case of balsa in the attic that i had forgotten
    about. Has anyone ever tried to get detail with balsa?
    Will it even hold the detail, or would i just be wasting my time with it???

PaPa ??? ??? ???
    don't sweat the small stuff

Re: BALSAWOOD

I have. I did a Xmas tree topper that was a Noahs Ark. It turned out prety good and held the detail fair enough. I found I had to use exacto chisels so I wouldn't tear the wood. It had a elephant, girrafe, and dove on it the inside was hollowed out with a light in it, so there was plenty of detail, but Im not standing in line at the balsa store any time soon it will test your patience!
    I Cut It Six Times And It's Still Too Short!!!

Comment

Thanks for the input lorax.
      I wanted someone elses opinion before i wasted my time with the roughout. I will try a small carving with a piece of it.
      If it is too trying.......well i will have some new firewood.

PaPa

Comment

ArizonaPapa...I wouldn't toss that balsa or burn it! You never know what little project will come up and balsa will be perfect for it! Everytime I toss something, the next week I need it!

Comment

well i tried out the balsa again. It tears very easy, even with a very sharp knife. well i guess its fine for general contour work but i cant get any detail with it because of the tearing. I think i will keep it......... like you said, never know when it will be perfect for the job.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X