Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BALSAWOOD

Years ago when i first started carving I used to make kachina
    dolls out of balsa. I was just doing forms and didn't need a great deal of detail on the carvings. Last week my father told me he found a case of balsa in the attic that i had forgotten
    about. Has anyone ever tried to get detail with balsa?
    Will it even hold the detail, or would i just be wasting my time with it???

PaPa ??? ??? ???
    don't sweat the small stuff

Re: BALSAWOOD

I have. I did a Xmas tree topper that was a Noahs Ark. It turned out prety good and held the detail fair enough. I found I had to use exacto chisels so I wouldn't tear the wood. It had a elephant, girrafe, and dove on it the inside was hollowed out with a light in it, so there was plenty of detail, but Im not standing in line at the balsa store any time soon it will test your patience!
    I Cut It Six Times And It's Still Too Short!!!

Comment

Thanks for the input lorax.
      I wanted someone elses opinion before i wasted my time with the roughout. I will try a small carving with a piece of it.
      If it is too trying.......well i will have some new firewood.

PaPa

Comment

ArizonaPapa...I wouldn't toss that balsa or burn it! You never know what little project will come up and balsa will be perfect for it! Everytime I toss something, the next week I need it!

Comment

well i tried out the balsa again. It tears very easy, even with a very sharp knife. well i guess its fine for general contour work but i cant get any detail with it because of the tearing. I think i will keep it......... like you said, never know when it will be perfect for the job.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
            Reply to Blades and Square Blocks
            by Rolf
            The first thing you need to Check is that the upper arm is parallel to the table! Check your manual on how to set up your saw. From the specifications the max cut depth is 2.05 inches so you are at the saw limit. I like the Pegas MGT series. The MGt 5 (11.5 TPI) or the 7 (10.4 TPI)...
            Today, 08:57 AM
          • Dan A
            Blades and Square Blocks
            by Dan A
            I don't have much doubt that I asked these questions to Denny in an email back when I got my Pegas saw from him. But none of my saved emails were transferred over from the old computer to this new one.

Since what I use mostly is 3/4-inch pine and 1/4 inch multiply which pegas blade would...
            Today, 06:33 AM
          • cwmagee
            Reply to Another Celtic cross
            by cwmagee
            Alex, your creativity is amazing, keep up the great work.
            Yesterday, 09:47 PM
          • Harry
            Reply to Toy jeeps
            by Harry
            Hi Jim.

The paints I used are mainly aerosol spray.

The green is Rus-oleum Painters touch, craft enamel.

The red is a stores brand own name, just called Wilko's

Don't know if you will get either of these in Mexico, but I'm

sure you...
            Yesterday, 01:18 PM
          • jim_mex
            Reply to Toy jeeps
            by jim_mex
            Great work and patience needed to pull off these smaller toys. You did a fantastic job! I really like them.

I'm curious to know what type of paints you use if you don't mind sharing the brand name.
            Yesterday, 10:15 AM
          Working...
          X