Put a cork [s]in[/s] on it ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put a cork [s]in[/s] on it ;)

I agree with the fact that most minor cuts happen while reaching for a tool or putting one away.

(The serious cuts can happen at any time, but usually when you are not wearing your carving glove.)

That's one reason why I put corks on the end of my tools. The other reason is it helps keep them from getting nicks in the cutting edge.
    I have began using the new artifical corks; they are made from a resin that grips the tools better than real cork.

If you have a favorite resturant, (not Taco Bell) you can ask them to save the wine corks for you. Bags of corks can sometimes be found in second-hand stores, or you could start a collection yourself if you are real thirsty.

Re: Put a cork [s]in[/s] on it

I've had good luck with clear plastic hose. It's available at hardware stores for about a buck or so a foot. Comes in several sizes.
    Take care,&&Butch &&&&I know there's a carving somewhere in all that extra wood!

Comment

If you just smack them a time or two on the edge with a hammer, they don't cut as bad.. :

Comment

Hey Rick do you get the on gallon size jug for the wider knives? I told my wife that I got some great advice from a professional carver and to head to the store for my favorite grape....I don't think she is buying this one...thirty-two bottles of wine.
        Cheers
        Ric

Comment

I'm imagining Hi Ho's and Ric's wives getting together, getting sloshed on the wine, and bopping both guys in the head with that hammer :-)

Teri

Comment

:P who you been talking too? 8)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• planeur
              Reply to My covid angel
              by planeur
              Rolf when you say taper from right to left, do you mean thinner near the body and thicker at the end of cloud as on the wing ?
              And on each cloud touching the body ?
              I had already sand some part , will show show soon!

Thanks

Yesterday, 09:22 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Tough Decisions
              by will8989
              I did that with Creative Woodworks. But when Bruce's group had their monthly meetings and swaps, somehow or other the ones I didn't buy ended up here! I keep all my holiday ones separate. But I also look at other patterns and think how I can reuse it. But sometimes that is just too much for my brain...
              Yesterday, 12:27 PM
            • Don in Brooklin On
              Reply to Tough Decisions
              by Don in Brooklin On
              Since I refuse to subscribe till they do something about the patterns in the pull out. They even made the DVD tough to print patterns.

What I do is look at the index of the book on scrollsawer.com and if see something I might want to cut I go to Walmart and check out the book. If I like...
              Yesterday, 11:59 AM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to Tough Decisions
              by Linda In Phoenix
              Absolutely everyone here has made valid points. That's part of what I've liked about this group.....different view points and different ideas. And we respect the diversity. You people rock!
              Yesterday, 11:24 AM
            • NC Scroller
              Reply to Tough Decisions
              by NC Scroller
              I too miss Bob Duncan. I do not think anyone from FC has taken over that role at least on this forum. If they have I am not sure who. Like Betty, I owe a lot to FC and this forum. If it was not for them and this forum I would have probably turned my saw into a boat anchor years ago. Oh how I looked...
              Yesterday, 11:22 AM
            Working...
            X