Where to get Yellowstone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get Yellowstone

I've been using aluminum oxide powder on my strope and think that it does a good job. However, I may be like the pig in a pen, not knowing what it's like to live in a palace. Therefore, I want to get out of my pen and try some of that yellowstone stuff everyone is extolling. Question is where is a good place to get it and can it be obtained in powder form as well as stick form?

Thanks in advance to everyone who responds.

Re: Where to get Yellowstone

Nearly every woodcarving supply has it in their inventory.
    Just check your catalogs or favorite website.
    I have used both Yellowstone and Aluminum Oxide; I prefer Yellowstone; it comes in stick form only.
    Aluminum Oxide powder works very well on the right surface.

Comment

Little Shavers (206)767-7421 will fix you right up.

Comment

Let me add a vote for this stopping compound. I just got mine this weekend and loaded up a new strop. It works better than any others I've tried. I really like to find things that work; add this one to the list.

Comment

I've tried the aluminum oxide and use it all the time with good results -- though I am not sure it is the best. The various sticks I have used (incluing the yellowstone) have been so hard that it takes forever to get them applied to my strop. Am I doing something wrong? Why is that stuff so hard? The powder seems much better and makes more sense to me????

Comment

I scrape it off with an old pocket knife I keep laying around for things your not supposed to use a knife for. If it's not handy, I'll use the back of my carving knife.

Comment

Comment

I've been using a ******* file for that.( Use an ols one ) Just file over a piece of paper till your file fills up. Hit it on the work bench and the stuff falls out of the file. Store it in a 35mm fim cannister and it's ready to use any time.
                Take care,&&Butch &&&&I know there's a carving somewhere in all that extra wood!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X