Bandsaw's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandsaw's

I have decided that it is time to upgrade my bandsaw. I currently have one of those low-end imports. Its been fairly reliable over the years, but I spend more time trying to keep the blades on than using it for cutting. So I have done some research and find that a fairly good priced machine with the options I want is the Grizzly model G0555 14'. Has anyone had any experience with this saw? It would be great to hear some reviews before I put up $430 (shipping included).
    Cheers
    Ric

Re: Bandsaw's

I have had the same problem with the ole bandsaw I have. I ordered the 14 inch bandsaw from Grizzly also but haven't received it yet as it is on backorder. From all the standard equipment that comes on this saw I don't see how you could go wrong for the price. I'd be interested if anyone has used it also.

Comment

I have never used the Grizzly bandsaw but, prior to committing to a purchase, I would urge you to look at and consider the Delta 14'. They make two versions, the closed and open stand models, I have the open stand and am very happy with it. The closed stand version is more expensive and the main difference that I can see is that it does a better job on dust collection. Cutting performance is probably the same. IMHO, the price difference between the Grizzly and Delta is well worth it

Having said all that, go to the Wood Central website, go to Message Boards and ask for a comparison between the Grizzly and Delta. You should have an answer in short order.

www.woodcentral.com

If, by some chance, you decide to opt for the Delta, or maybe a Jet, be aware that there is a fairly wide price range between vendors for the same item. NEVER pay list price.

Comment

I've got the 14' delta open stand and am happy xxx dust collection??? heck I set it up outside and the Texas wind takes care of any dust problem.

Comment

I used my old 12' Craftsman for twenty years before it started falling apart.
          So I bought the Gold Series Jet 18' bandsaw. I really like it especially for what it is made for which is resawing.
          The range of blades is 1/8' to 1-1/2' ; I like the 1/2' blade for most cutting.
          It will slice a perfect sheet of 1/16' wood off a 10' block like cutting butter.
          I cut a bunch of 1/8' walnut sheets for a clock maker in our club; they only needed a light sanding.
          One thing I did notice about the Jet, it does not like anything on the wheels. It runs almost silently unless the wheels are gummed up.

I was able to fix the old Craftsman, it was the lower shaft split retaining ring; it had worn and jumped out of the groove.
          I still prefer it for cutting out small stuff.

Comment

I can't speak for the other saws, but I bought a Ridgid,good reviews, lifetime warranty, decent price....and I have been satisfied with the saw....imho

Comment

We had a Sears. My husband spent a lot of time replacing the parts that seemed to have a habit of falling off. When he got tired of it, after about 10 years, we bought a 14' Jet. It is an open stand and the dust collection is not good. Other than that, we like it. We also bought the extension, and I am on the last of the shorter blades, then we will put the extension on and I can cut bigger stuff.
              Bette
              Bette&&--Michigan&&http://home.centurytel.net/BetteFranke&&http://community.webshots.com/user/Bette_Franke

Comment

I myself use a Sears 12' and I swear the table has the poorest design I know of. As to the Grizzly however, Grizzly Industrial is known for their rugged, economical, no-frills tools. It won't fall apart on you, that I know.
                Carving is the art of taking a block of wood and cutting off anything that doesn't look like a carving.

Comment

I use a Delta 14' - 93 1/2' blade and use it at least 3 days a week. It is 10 years old and still chugging along. Re; Dust, I use a sears shop vac and attach the hose to the connection under the table top and get very little dust. I use a 6 tpi,skip tooth blade. Big Al

Comment

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

Well you folks certainly provided some valuable insight on bandsaws. There is also a big difference in price between models. One lesson I learned is to buy from a company that will be around to sell replacements parts when you need them. Thanks for the help. I will let you know on my new purchase. I wonder if those Texas dust collection systems can be purchased locally.
                      Cheers
                      Ric

Comment

Workbench magazine ( a dreaded competitor?) did a comparison of several 14' bandsaws and picked the Delta and the Jet #1. They said more good things about the Jet, and it's cheaper, but they gave the Delta a high rating for it's American heritage, whatever that means in this era of imports. The top 14' Sears got good marks too.

Comment

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

I am still using my 9 inch Delta Bench Band saw. If I need a deeper project than 9 inchs I use my elderly friends 14 inch Delta.
                            Safety first, then enjoy carving! Ken Caney, Ks

Comment

Well in spite of myself I decided to hang on to my old saw for a little longer. I went to three different places to buy a saw and none of them had any in stock. Two of the stores acted like I was some kind of nut when I asked how long it would take to order one. So then I said what the heck and ordered the Grizzly. Got an email saying they are back ordered and would ship in a month, and oh yea make sure you can unload the thing off the truck because the drivers have regulations to follow and can't help unload, and be sure to record any damage on the shipping papers. Soooo I went out to the shop and looked at the old saw and said what the heck...bought new tires and a couple other parts for $50 online and will give it another try. I think that the next time I want to spend $500-$600 I will go buy some lottery tickets. Thanks for all the advice, I filed it for later.
                              Cheers
                              Ric

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X