detail knife HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• detail knife HELP!!!

I need some help!!!! I have a detail knife (flexcut) that every time i use it it leaves a scratch mark on my carving. I cant feel a knick or even see one ........i have stropped several times but still cant get it to go away..... any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

PaPa
    Phoenix, Az.
    don't sweat the small stuff

Re: detail knife HELP!!!

Papa,
    That is a common problem with flexcut tools, the cutting edge has a chip in it. My suggestion is to sharpen it on a stone until it is gone.
    If you are not sure where the chip is, make a cut across the end-grain of a piece of basswood. The white scratch indicates where the chip is on the blade.

That is truly the most common reason why flexcut tools require sharpening. Due to the extreme hardness of the cutting edge, they rarely get dull. The downside is they are also very brittle which results in chipping and breaking.

Comment

Another good way to check a blade for chips is to hold it edge up over a dark surface and under a bright light. Any nick will usually appear as a shiny spot on the edge. I use this method when sharpening to check for nicks, distortions, or wire edge. A razor sharp edge will not reflect but defects or wire edge will reflect and shine under the light.

Good whittlin, Cliff
      Charles City, Iowa
      http://cliffordparker.tripod.com

Comment

thanks guys that helped me alot....that 2000 grit did the trick
        don't sweat the small stuff

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• tgiro01
          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
          by tgiro01
          Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
          Today, 09:38 PM
        • Linda In Phoenix
          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
          by Linda In Phoenix
          It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
          Today, 06:47 PM
        • Linda In Phoenix
          Reply to Plastic puzzle
          by Linda In Phoenix
          Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
          Today, 06:38 PM
        • Jim Finn
          Reply to Farmers market "survey"
          by Jim Finn
          The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
          Today, 04:48 PM
        • MidMich324
          Reply to Plastic puzzle
          by MidMich324
          Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
          Today, 03:57 PM
        Working...
        X