knife cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• knife cover

Re; a blade cover. I have tried a lot of them & then discovered one that I like. Take a two pieces of heavy duty cardboard and cut them 1/2' wide & 1/4' longer than the blade. Place one on each side of the blade and wrap tightly with masking tape. I write my name on it and after I use the knife I put the blade in the other end so the name reads backwards, telling me it has been used. The shape of the sheath also stops the knife from rolling off the table. Big Al

Re: knife cover

Good idea, Al! I do that sometimes, too. Also use that Blue Styrofoam insulation, and just push the blade into it. I put an arrow on the foam with a magic marker, pointing toward the sharp edge, so I won't slice myself getting it out; ya, I'm that clumsy! For bent knives I use plastic tubing from the harware store. It is flexible enough to shape to the curve of the blade.

other 'Al'

Comment

Good ideas guys. Another method is to use wine corks. Once you have a slot for the blade, the sides can be flattened so there isn't too much bulk and it also stops the knife from rolling around on the bench. As Al and his other brother Al mentioned, any I.D. can also go on the flat side. I read about others using used corks for this but I was concerned about residual moisture, so I bought a bag of new ones from the wine store. Now I either have to start making wine or buy more knives so I can use up my supply of corks.

Comment

All good ideas and I will try them. I cover my knive blades with basswood blocks and then carve faces on them. I use 1/2 inch thick blocks on each side of the blade. Draw the shape of the blade on one block, then remove some wood to fit the blade. Do not remove to much wood as you want a little pressure on the blade when you glue the two blocks together.
        Hope that makes sense.

Woody01

Comment

I use clear plastic tubing for everything. Knives I slit the side and insert the sharp side into the tube. I also use it to cover small gouges, that are not part of boxed sets. My injuries have all come during clean up so I have become fairly faithful at putting the little covers back on each time I switch tools. I think the tubing was 1/4 or 3/8 ID and a foot cost $.14. For a quarter I have a lifetime supply.
          Ah Chip

Comment

Woody,
            If your wooden knife blade covers become loose, just slip a small chip inside the slot.

Comment

Ric
              Yes, that is what I have to do after while. Sometimes I even put a dab of glue on on the chip to hold it in place.
              Thanks for all the good information you pass on to us.

Woody01

Comment

I use the larger size clear tubing, put a couple of pieces of 1/8 inch plywood and make a sheath for the blade

Comment

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X