Need some help on Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help on Tools

I have aquried some carving tools from a friend who has past away. These are veiners and and gouges used with a mallet.
    They do not look to have been used much.
    What I would like to know is any information On the brand name of Buck Bros.
    Is this the famous Buck Knife company?

I plan to put these to good use as I have honed them and stropped them to a fine edge.
    Thanks in advance for any Info.
    I would say these tools wer at least 20 years old.

Ken
    Safety first, then enjoy carving! Ken Caney, Ks

Re: Need some help on Tools

Ken,
    I am by no means an historian; I do have some knowledge of Buck knives and Buck Brothers.
    Buck knives began in Kansas with a man named Hoyt Buck.

Buck Brothers tools was started by three brothers Charles, Richard, and John (I believe) in New York. They sold out to a man named Proctor.

The company stopped production around 1970-1973.
    They made good tools; not like the tools being sold today under their name.

Comment

I have a few called firmer gouge looking more like for lathe turning but for wood carving. The Bucks were probably the best of the American made. Same company as the knives I am told.

Comment

Thanks for the info gentlemen.
        Theses Buck Bros. carving tools are a strudy looking tool and seems to keep an edge on them. Really, very little honing was done. More stropping than honing and have a real nice shape edge.
        I knew the Buck Kinves were made by hand in Kansas but they got to big and had to go to the manufactoring side of them. The Info I got was that it came from the same Buck Knife company but I could not find anything out on yes they did or nor they didn't. I will look farther into it. I plan to put theses to good use as I know my late friend had good intentions on doing jus that also.
        I appreciate the info.

Ken
        Safety first, then enjoy carving! Ken Caney, Ks

Comment

Buck Bros Tools,there are also Buck Bros out of England,probably 1800's to mid /early 1900's.Watch for them on eBay.The English tools really hold an edge..Also,watch yourself on eBay concerning tools, there is at least one character ,selling who will creep up on your bid and go over . he hopes you will bite and jack the bid up a five spot or so,then creep up trying to guess how much more you are good for,can add 5 to 10 extra bucks a sale for him,some of these people have plenty of auctions going,and this adds up .

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Bill Wilson
            Reply to Planer and jointer opinions wanted
            by Bill Wilson
            Well, this topic can present a lot of opinions and options. First, if you are seriously considering helical cutting heads, would you take the next step and upgrade to a stationary, floor model planer? Perhaps even a used one. I don't know how much space you have and what your shop power options are,...
            Today, 02:13 PM
          • will8989
            Reply to Planer and jointer opinions wanted
            by will8989
            Our super max has been making a noise that sounds like paper caught but we can’t pinpoint anything. Cleaned what we could, Bruce used dry lubricant, which sounds like an oxymoron to me, and still makes the noise. Started quietly now is louder. Any suggestions before we call for warranty work? I’m...
            Today, 01:57 PM
          • Don in Brooklin On
            Virtual Wood Show
            by Don in Brooklin On
            Due to Covid-19 all events in Ontario have been cancelled including the Wood Show in Toronto. It was a great event but this year it is going to go virtual.

They will have a number of seminars and the ability to tour vendor sites. Not sure how it all works. It will be FREE but you can pay...
            Today, 12:56 PM
          • cwmagee
            Reply to Winter issue
            by cwmagee
            Got mine yesterday. Regarding Christmas Items I seem to recall a few years ago that they moved up the Holiday related items to the Fall Issue to give us more time to make.

It was great to see all of the variety of designs and contributors available...
            Today, 12:09 PM
          • Jim McDonald
            Reply to Winter issue
            by Jim McDonald
            Got mine yesterday and I was a bit disappointed by the lack of Christmas in the issue. Like Rolf, I loved the winter issue for the ornaments.
            And Carole's bowl is quite interesting.
            Today, 11:26 AM
          Working...
          X